Drone

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I'm not very tech savvy but I'm shopping for a drone with a 1/2 mile range.
I've found lots of kids toys but I'm having a hard time finding one with that range and good camera quality.

Any recommendations ?

I bought one. Took a while to put it together and was I was really excited to send it on its maiden voyage. Made sure it was set to beginner mode and away I sent it. About fifty feet up I wanted it to go left but it took off...and off... with the wife asking where I was sending it... it still went... and the wife now yelling at me to bring it back... it still went until it was out of sight. Fastest hundred I've ever blown.

Cross-7":1cwg6z3f said:
I've found lots of kids toys but I'm having a hard time finding one with that range and good camera quality.

Any recommendations ?
:lol2:
I will ask my neighbor what not to buy.
He sunk 1800 in one to sit on the porch and check fence.
He called one day and ask that I keep an eye for his drone.
I ask why he replied the last time I seen it was headed towards your place.
Never did find it.

For about $20 you can get a GPS button and sync it to your smartphone so if you lose it you can find it. Mine was attacked by an eagle or a hawk a few weeks ago and I thought I was about to lose it. The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

Drones can be very useful.
20643293_1755835648047660_60614358115399470_o.jpg

slick4591":1lc1lxu0 said:
I bought one. Took a while to put it together and was I was really excited to send it on its maiden voyage. Made sure it was set to beginner mode and away I sent it. About fifty feet up I wanted it to go left but it took off...and off... with the wife asking where I was sending it... it still went... and the wife now yelling at me to bring it back... it still went until it was out of sight. Fastest hundred I've ever blown.

I am sorry but that made me laugh so hard cause that is something that would happen to me.

Jogeephus":yf5c0y0c said:
For about $20 you can get a GPS button and sync it to your smartphone so if you lose it you can find it. Mine was attacked by an eagle or a hawk a few weeks ago and I thought I was about to lose it. The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

Amazing photo

wacocowboy":2tivfozr said:
slick4591":2tivfozr said:

I am sorry but that made me laugh so hard cause that is something that would happen to me.

Me and you both. Laughed my azz off.

The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.
My brother's son-in-law had one. called it home with that home button and it smashed dead center into a utility pole in a wide open field about 120' from where it took off from. Got it repaired, sent it up and first time he tried to get it to rtb, it smashed into the same utility pole again.

slick4591":38kme9gx said:
I did the same thing with a friends. He brings it over, flying it around, saying fly this thing. I kept saying no. Finally I relented.

I was doing pretty good. Sent it up and was flying around. All of a sudden it would not respond. Off it went. We never found that sucker.

It's been over a year ago that it happened so I laugh about it these days. It also had the GPS feature but I hadn't synced it to my phone. My wife tells the story and she refers to the last visual of it as a speck of pepper in the sky. :lol:

wacocowboy":2xdb0q9o said:
Jogeephus":2xdb0q9o said:

Amazing photo

Thanks, I wish I could post a video because its much better especially once I dropped down low and herded them. :lol:

Be aware that there are some serious and strict rules on where you can fly them and how you can fly them.

Fines in to the thousands of dollars and potential jail time.

The FAA has some heavy capability to make your life miserable if you make a mistake.

If you want to be safe in flying them take a course on the "do's and don'ts" before you spend the cash.

Cross-7":2ata6xft said:

Any recommendations ?

There are some very good systems out there - it all depends upon your budget.

A decent EO/IR (day/night camera) can be had as well.

You can spend as little as a few hundred dollars to as much as $150K for a quad rotor.

I would suggest you take a course from one of the many operations you can find on an internet search that teach basic rules, regulations and flying before you make a decision.

It might also prevent you from losing your machine on a fly away, paying a huge fine or even going to jail.

My best.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":y3hkv9z0 said:
Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about them?
I had thought it would be a GREAT way to heat check the herd? LOL

I have nothing but good to say about mine. I did a good bit of research on it before buying and the general consensus was you are better off spending some money on a good quality drone because in the end the cheaper ones will cost you more in the long run from the reasons people are listing. Mine has sensors on it to help keep you from running into things. I even ran mine into a pecan tree and it flipped upside down and I panicked and didn't know what to do but the drone did. As it fell toward the ground it righted itself and hovered in a safe spot inside the crown of the tree so I could regain my composure and gradually ease it out unscathed.

I use mine at work and can make georeferenced GIS images and things like that. Its very useful and saves a lot of field work.

Latest posts