drain hydraulic fluid?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
Got a new tractor (new to me) and it uses JD HyGard hydraulic fluid. The problem is that my other tractor used universal hyd fluid and all my implements have the universal fluid in the systems. I will bleed the systems to get as much of the old fluid out as i can. What i would like to know is how big a deal is it going to be if some of the fluid gets mixed together

Won't make any difference, you don't even need to bleed out of your implements. We run Deere oil but lots of people don't, it's the newer deeres that need Deere oil but some here don't even use it in them. Congrats on the new tractor an what size is it?

It's a 6610 and it uses a different spec HyGard than my older JD 4230, thats why i'm concerned

cowsrus":kx0ymsk0 said:
It's a 6610 and it uses a different spec HyGard than my older JD 4230, thats why i'm concerned
What kind of HyGard does it require? I've only known there to be one type of HyGard, other than the low viscosity one. I have nothing but Deere equipment on the place ranging from the old 30 series on up to mid 90's model tractors and they all get HyGard. I guess I don't have anything as new as the 10 series so it's possible they changed something in '98 but it seems unlikely. I don't think it would be a big deal to mix hydraulic fluids, but if I were in your shoes I would switch everything over to HyGard.

cowsrus":f7mulawl said:
Got a new tractor (new to me) and it uses JD HyGard hydraulic fluid. The problem is that my other tractor used universal hyd fluid and all my implements have the universal fluid in the systems. I will bleed the systems to get as much of the old fluid out as i can. What i would like to know is how big a deal is it going to be if some of the fluid gets mixed together

This "universal hyd fluid" carries a standard. What is it? J20A, 303, J21A? I'm betting it is the J20A standard. "JD HyGard" is a brand, not a standard. As long as the oil standards overlap you are just fine. What standard does your "new" tractor spec? I don't have anything that new either, so consult your OPERATORS MANUAL......If you don't have one get one......

Main thing is you don't want to mix a low viscosity oil with a regular viscosity oil. (Low viscosity oils are ment to be used where temperture ranges is -40f to 68f.)

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I would trust a oil refiner to provide me quality oil before I would a tractor manufacturer.

Ok, i did some checking and the newer tractor uses J20c and the older tractor uses jd 303 (universal). I think the J20c is compatible with the 303, but not sure about the 303 working in the J20c.

The only major concern with the hydrolic oil would be if you have a hydrostatic transmission. Other than that its not a problem, just hook to the equipment and go.

cowsrus":14z4e7az said:
Ok, i did some checking and the newer tractor uses J20c and the older tractor uses jd 303 (universal). I think the J20c is compatible with the 303, but not sure about the 303 working in the J20c.

According to my oil bucket: 303 (J14b), J14c, J20a, and J21a are compatable. Doesn't mention j20c.

Check out this. ......

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesu ... uids.html#

I have seen wet clutch and brake linings come apart in new John Deere tractors when customers were too cheap to run John Deere fluid. The universal fluid says it meets JD specs, but its outdated specs.

If it were mine I would change the older deere over to HyGaurd and be done with it.

ryan_289":3ltavrmt said:
I have seen wet clutch and brake linings come apart in new John Deere tractors when customers were too cheap to run John Deere fluid. The universal fluid says it meets JD specs, but its outdated specs.
If it were mine I would change the older deere over to HyGaurd and be done with it.
if this were true you would have one he77 of a basis for lawsuits

Well all I can tell you is when I worked parts I kept a brake disk and a clutch disk under the counter that had come apart from using cheap hydraulic fluid. You can get away with the universal fluid in the older tractors. On the newer tractors with power quad transmissions and wet brakes I wouldnt even consider non JD fluid.

BTW price CAT fluid or Kubota fluid if you think John Deere is high.

ryan_289":272vdhrb said:
Well all I can tell you is when I worked parts I kept a brake disk and a clutch disk under the counter that had come apart from using cheap hydraulic fluid. You can get away with the universal fluid in the older tractors. On the newer tractors with power quad transmissions and wet brakes I wouldnt even consider non JD fluid.

BTW price CAT fluid or Kubota fluid if you think John Deere is high.
You should see what petroleum based hydraulic fluid does to parts that are meant to have glycol alcohol based used with them

cowsrus":dryf4t8z said:
Why would you not use the called for lubricant in something that expensive to repair..........?

Save yourselves some money, I use Shell Donax TD or TDL in my Kubota and JD, works just fine and meets the specs. I just bought 20 gallons and it was $56 per 5 gallon pale. Actually the tractor makes less gearbox noise on the Donax. I use Rotella T in the engine, same thing, less engine noise. http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/DonaxTD.pdf

I'm about over these high prices at John Deere, there won't be anymore JD equipment at my place until they get right on the prices, replacement parts can break you in a hurry, there is no sense in it.

A 5 gallon bucket of Hyguard is 57.94 at my dealership. How much is your dealer charging for Hyguard?

Kubota fluid is over $100 for 5 gallons. My JD dealer charges list price for everything, no breaks. My Kubota dealer gives me a break on parts.

The biggest complaints I get from my customers that own JD and Kubota is that the Kubota parts are WAY higher than JD parts. Even with a discount I dont see how its cheaper in the long run.

Ive seen it too many times to count. Loose a deal to Kubota an a tractor and 8 out of 10 customers that have owned a JD before will regret the purchuse. Bad thing is the money they saved is already lost in depreation on the Kubota.

Edit.
I can only speak for my area that I sell in. Im not sure how it is in everyone elses.

Latest posts