Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58 said:
Who provided the information for the recommendation? I bet it was from the likes of Hills, Eukanuba, Walthams. I am a bit cynical when it comes to drug companies and dog food manufacturers. The last I heard was that the Hills rep was giving canine nutrition lectures to Vet students at the local Vet school, a bit of a conflict of interest IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as you keep your dogs fit lean and healthy.

Ken

Hills Science Diet is what most vets sell out of their office thus Hills advertises "Vet Recommended". Heck of a markup on it too and corn is usually the leading ingredient in it. Most vets I know passed maybe one or two elementary nutrition courses and almost none studied canine nutrition.

TexasBred said:
wbvs58 said:
Who provided the information for the recommendation? I bet it was from the likes of Hills, Eukanuba, Walthams. I am a bit cynical when it comes to drug companies and dog food manufacturers. The last I heard was that the Hills rep was giving canine nutrition lectures to Vet students at the local Vet school, a bit of a conflict of interest IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as you keep your dogs fit lean and healthy.

Ken

Hills Science Diet is what most vets sell out of their office thus Hills advertises "Vet Recommended". Heck of a markup on it too and corn is usually the leading ingredient in it. Most vets I know passed maybe one or two elementary nutrition courses and almost none studied canine nutrition.

TB

I think you and I should start a movement on behalf of the dogs in this country. Call it PEFD - People for the Ethical Feeding of Dogs. All these dog foods are mostly plant based. Dogs are carnivores. Carnivores need meat. I often get one of those roasted chickens at Walmart. The ones in those plastic hand bags. When I get home, I put the whole chicken in a big bowl and my two corgis who know the routine, sit at the foot of the recliner with big moist eyes. It takes about 10 minutes to finish a whole chicken and 85 % of it goes to the dogs. I don't mind at all. Dogs need meat.

We tried to feed the good stuff, but the dogs didn't like it. GSD breeder recommended Proplan Sport and the dogs clean it up. Purina has been around forever and does it's research. They'll make it cheap, but it's pretty safe.

For those whose dogs supplement with placentas and roadkill, I think that's all fair game to dog food companies, but they can process it until it won't make your dog sick on the carpet. That's nice.

Little Cow said:
We tried to feed the good stuff, but the dogs didn't like it. GSD breeder recommended Proplan Sport and the dogs clean it up. Purina has been around forever and does it's research. They'll make it cheap, but it's pretty safe.

For those whose dogs supplement with placentas and roadkill, I think that's all fair game to dog food companies, but they can process it until it won't make your dog sick on the carpet. That's nice.

If you want to feed Purina get the Purina that is sold at places like Petsmart. It's good dog food and made by the "Purina" owned by Nestle dba Purina Pet Care. The other Purina is made by PMI (Purina Mills, Inc) and is medium/low quality dog food but cheap and folks like that.

TexasBred said:

If you want to feed Purina get the Purina that is sold at places like Petsmart. It's good dog food and made by the "Purina" owned by Nestle dba Purina Pet Care. The other Purina is made by PMI (Purina Mills, Inc) and is medium/low quality dog food but cheap and folks like that.

That is interesting.

Little Cow said:
TexasBred said:

That is interesting.
It's crazy. Both companies still use the checkerboards and both will have St; Louis as place of origin. Very confusing for the customer.

Latest posts