Doesn't make sense to me??

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Have an otc bottle of noromycin/la 300. Labeled dose is 3ml/100 and slaughter withdrawal is 28 days per label. From same mfg have an rx bottle of hexasol which is la 300 + banamine and labeled dose is 4.5ml/100 but slaughter withdrawal is only 21 days per label. Both products have 300 mg of oxytet per ml. Don't understand being able to give a 50% larger dose but withdrawal time of bigger dose is only 75% the withdrawal of the smaller dose product.

Looked at banamine bottle and it only has 4 day withdrawal.Wonder if there is something about banamine that causes the oxytet to clear the system faster.

Papaw,
Website info on Hexasol shows 35 day slaughter withdrawal. Bear in mind, that's based on appropriate dosage, with no more than 15ml administered per injection site. If you exceed the recommended label dosage, or give more than 15ml per site...35 days may not be sufficient...

Slaughter withdrawal for Banamine is 4 days - IF you give a single dose by the approved route - Intravenously.
If you give it IM, withdrawal time is projected out to about 28 days - that's for a single dose; if you give more than one... nobody knows for sure how long you'd have to wait not to have violative tissue residues.

Lucky_P":c90nzg3f said:
Papaw,
Website info on Hexasol shows 35 day slaughter withdrawal. Bear in mind, that's based on appropriate dosage, with no more than 15ml administered per injection site. If you exceed the recommended label dosage, or give more than 15ml per site...35 days may not be sufficient...

Slaughter withdrawal for Banamine is 4 days - IF you give a single dose by the approved route - Intravenously.
If you give it IM, withdrawal time is projected out to about 28 days - that's for a single dose; if you give more than one... nobody knows for sure how long you'd have to wait not to have violative tissue residues.

The first site I went to was for Hexasol LA and it did say 35 day withdrawal but the more I read it seemed to be a UK site/label. Next site I went to says 21 days just like my bottle and rx sticker says and is for Hexasol Injection. What I have is named Hexasol Injection whereas the site that said 35 day withdrawal was for Hexasol LA. Looks like different times/names for different countries and still baffling.

Here's a link for the Hexasol Injection I found that states 21 day slaughter withdrawal:

http://norbrook.com/uploads/Hexasol_Sel ... _12-12.pdf

The below link also has copy of label for Hexasol Injection that includes a picture of label and bottle that is identical to what I have and both bottle and box say "Approved by FDA"

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/dr ... 2d420912e5

Sorry to further muddy the water.

I am not entirely sure, but the sites you posted seem to refer only to Hexasol.

Hexasol LA may be a different product. LA usually stands for long acting, the manufacturer may have added something to the drug to make it a slow release drug, thereby explaining the different withdrawal time.

My recollection is that Hexasol is a 21 day meat withdrawal, but I don't use or promote the product so I should probably double check that, I will try to remember to pull a bottle off the shelf tomorrow and check. My understanding is that there is only one hexasol product available in the US.

Hexasol as a product has always mystified me. It violates two of the primary rules regarding flunixin (banamine) use: only give it IV and don't mix it with anything. The limited conversations I have had with those that understand these things better then I do indicated that Hexasol utilizes a different carrier then straight flunix which limits the muscle irritation Hexasol's flunix causes. The logical follow up question to this is why don't they make a straight flunixin product with this carrier so it can be prescribed in a manner other than IV, but no one has had a good answer to this. I believe oxytet in hexasol also has a different carrier then straight oxytet 300 products which I would presume is responsible for the change in withdrawal periods.

My other issue with Hexasol: the effects of flunixin are done in 24 hours,at least with the straight flunixin products, I have assumed it is the same with Hexasol but don't know this for sure. You shouldn't be redosing hexasol daily so unless you can IV a calf banamine the next day, it is only going to get 12-24 hours of flunix. Not sure that is worth while with many of the conditions I would treat using an oxytet antibiotic (foot rot, pinkeye, etc.) These conditions would benefit from pain mitigation, but need more then 12-24 hours of it. That's the end of my hexasol rant for now. I'm not big on hexasol, in case you weren't aware.

Quigly,
If you look at the pharmacokinetics of flunixin in cattle, a proper dose, administered by the approved IV route, is actually only effective for about 9 hours, so even less duration of action than most folks think.

I know 24 hours is unrealistic, I usually claim you get about 12 hours from a dose of flunix when administering it. Honestly did not know what the precise length of effect was, some of the newer data I have seen indicated the degree of variation between individuals is greater then I ever really realized. I like using it orally in horses, really wish this was a legal option in cattle, but Dr. Amduca says no.

Latest posts