Dodge truck- Bad sign??

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
Ok all of you mechanically inclined folks, here's my story. I need some opinions. And not just opinions to "sell my Dodge and buy a Ford"! :lol: I can't afford to replace it!

STATS- 96 Dodge 1 ton dually V10 68,000 miles. (All tow miles.) Auto transmission.

Tranny was shifting funny going from park to drive. Hesitation before it would kick into gear. Pretty much only when it was cold. (For a very long time with no other symptoms.)
Took it and had tranny flushed. Didn't help any.
So then my power steering pump went out, so I had the mechanic drive it and check the tranny again. He adjusted the bands and said it was not slipping anymore, but would probably need a rebuild in the next 15,000 miles or so.
So I just got it back yesterday, hooked the trailer up and set out to take a cow to the sale.
It wasn't acting right. Decreased power on acceleration ect. but driving ok. Got on the freeway and could get up to about 50 and it wouldn't shift. Tac up to 3. I figured out that I could get it to shift by popping it into neutral then back to drive. So I got the cow to the sale and home again.

Taking it back to the mechanic tomorrow, so I need advice on what I should be asking him. (Because I have a feeling he is going to say I need the rebuild.)

Thanks for any input!

Bg there is a small module in the trans that causes most of the problems in these trucks . I've replaced it twice in my 05. I can't for the life of me member what its called. I'll look into it. Or maybe somebody else will chime in. Its about 200 bucks for the part and it's easy to change. You pull the pan and the filter and it's right there. I'll try to look into the part name..
Btw I believe dodge warrantys the trans for 70,000
Edit to many years for warranty

BCg it is a bAd sign. FM touched on part of what I was going to say about the solenoids. there not. cheap nor is labor and transmission fluid these days. I am shocked no one mentioned the simplest reason it could be acting up which I don't know much about dodges but I assume there's a fuse that controls the modules power to shift. i had them blow in trucks it shifted in gear rough and didn't switch gears though.

Sky, my old Ford will do that occasionally. My thinking is, someone was in it adjusting the band's and changing the fluid it was already hurt. How do you adjust the bands? The transmissions that I've pulled apart had clutch packs, and no adjustments. Preventive maintenance is needed within the first 30k miles.

Sorry, but from the description of the symptoms, it sounds to me like you're looking at a $2400+ trans overhaul. The OD not working is one of the first signs of the beginning of the end :yuck:

I had a local shop change trans fluid and install new filter as PM after I bought my Dodge V10 last fall. Then I let the pickup sit a month from Thanksgiving day until after Christmas, started up one subzero day and it didn't want to move. I should have quit while I was ahead, or at least did more investigation.

Turns out my transmission pan was rusted and after getting cleaned up for the fluid/filter change, leaked all the fluid out on the ground. I didn't know that and I didn't pop the hood to check. My bad, and I take full responsibility. Snow covered the oil spot under the pickup, so didn't notice that until too long after the fact :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unfortunately, it is time to make an appointment with your favorite automatic transmission shop, and hand over the $$$ for the BIG ONE :( My pickup is a 2wd 2500 SRW 3/4 ton, so I did not have the added labor cost of R&R of a transfer case that you will if your dually is 4wd.

You need to find a mechanic you can trust.
Lots of" re "tranny get over hauled due to that little solenoid.
68000 miles ,those clutch packs should not be worn unless it's been really abused.
I,'ve got one the dealership replaced the tranny at 50000 ..I guarantee it was that Dam little solenoid.
I 've got almost 250000 miles on that second tranny. I've replaced the solenoid twice in that time.
It probably break today, now that I bragged.

branguscowgirl":1zilbuo3 said:
Ok all of you mechanically inclined folks, here's my story. I need some opinions. And not just opinions to "sell my Dodge and buy a Ford"! :lol: I can't afford to replace it!

I'm not mechanically inclined either. That's why I drive Chevrolets. :hide:

highgrit":12x88vnk said:
Sky, my old Ford will do that occasionally. My thinking is, someone was in it adjusting the band's and changing the fluid it was already hurt. How do you adjust the bands? The transmissions that I've pulled apart had clutch packs, and no adjustments. Preventive maintenance is needed within the first 30k miles.

HG there is front and rear bands the front is adjusted from the outside of the tranny and the rear inside the cover and typically behind the filter. It normally on ones I saw have a lock nut and either a torx head or square head bolt that you adjust it. You have to adjust it in dont quote me on it but I believe its in inch lbs not foot lbs. Each tranny has its own specs you have to follow. Basically you loosen nut adjust bolt to manufacturers specs then tighten bolt back up.

Runaway Deere":n8651crr said:
J and h in redding. Best bet for a 47re
Thank you! That's good to know!
The guy I use came recommended by friends also. I will ask him about the solenoid and see if he checked that. He drives a Dodge himself, so I would think that he would be aware of the problem with them. But you never know.
He had quoted me $1,500 on a rebuild. If it comes to that, would I want a rebuild or a new?

branguscowgirl":2tpd6en6 said:
Runaway Deere":2tpd6en6 said:
J and h in redding. Best bet for a 47re
Thank you! That's good to know!
The guy I use came recommended by friends also. I will ask him about the solenoid and see if he checked that. He drives a Dodge himself, so I would think that he would be aware of the problem with them. But you never know.
He had quoted me $1,500 on a rebuild. If it comes to that, would I want a rebuild or a new?

Honestly when you get into those types of issues of rebuilding and putting in a new transmission you need to really look at how cost effective it is to make those repairs or buy something with a warranty. I hate vehicle problems but my saving grace is I can fix most of the problems.

fenceman":u9sor8sd said:
I'm going to guess you haven't priced a new one yet :cboy:
No, I haven't. I am sure they are crazy expensive!

Sky, I agree with you there. I hate repairs also. And I sure like to have a dependable vehicle! But this has been a good truck up to this point and there is no way I can justify spending $40,000 on up on a new one. It is not my daily driver, it just stays hooked to a trailer. In fact "sitting" has probably done it more harm than good over the years.

You all have given me some things to question. I sure appreciate it!

Ok. I just talked to the mechanic. HE DID NOT CHECK THE SOLENOID! Duh! :roll:
I am loosing faith in him.........

Problem I don't want is just that hooked to a trailer is its job... Things tend to happen on the hottest day or coldest when you got a load on the trailer... Did he check the fuse first?

I asked him about the fuse. He just said, "yes there are fuses for that."
I think that I will be going to Redding with it.......

Latest posts