Do your steers make the cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxQ_jWEHeE&fbclid=IwAR21ZWp84_Qb515Ru67Qy8rI9XLXvGhF1lo3hv4o5TAeaXIkCp5k0tX4Zm4

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

4. 10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area

5. 1,050-pound hot carcass weight or less

6. Less than 1-inch fat thickness

At 1050 and 62% dress, live weight would max out at 1693 lbs. Rule of thumb used to be that a steer finishes at 150 to 200 pounds over his dam's weight.

The day of the elites in the cattle business has come and gone. IMO The majority of breeders have access to the same genetics. The only real difference is how the gentics are being used and promoted.

True Grit Farms said:
The day of the elites in the cattle business has come and gone. IMO The majority of breeders have access to the same genetics. The only real difference is how the gentics are being used and promoted.

I could not agree more.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

I could not agree more.

Thank goodness for that. It's akin to calling your stockbroker back in the day, they knew info you didn't, but that is not the case these days with E-Trade and others where everything imaginable is at your fingertips if you SO CHOOSE to use it. Problem is, most producers see AI as a waste of time and ET as a luxury. A library has a lot of knowledge, but people rarely go in there.

Since you asked about steers my 2017 calves graded 60% CAB and Prime at 13-14 mos. weighing 1310 lbs. at plant after 300 mile haul. Nothing exceptional but decent as they were sold on the Tyson Gene Track grid. Good enough to net $8/cwt over the base price. This is the youngest we have ever finished them but I didn't want to hold them into a declining market.

W.B. said:
Since you asked about steers my 2017 calves graded 60% CAB and Prime at 13-14 mos. weighing 1310 lbs. at plant after 300 mile haul. Nothing exceptional but decent as they were sold on the Tyson Gene Track grid. Good enough to net $8/cwt over the base price. This is the youngest we have ever finished them but I didn't want to hold them into a declining market.

That's terrific! Congrats!

True Grit Farms said:

I agree with that but will add the real difference is how the genetics are being managed. Does a cow have a better life at SAV or Cunningham Farms, I think we know the answer. SAV gets weaning weights routinely over 1000 lbs, is it because they are cheating? no it is because they are managed better than anywhere else in the world.

jscunn said:
True Grit Farms said:

I agree with that but will add the real difference is how the genetics are being managed. Does a cow have a better life at SAV or Cunningham Farms, I think we know the answer. SAV gets weaning weights routinely over 1000 lbs, is it because they are cheating? no it is because they are managed better than anywhere else in the world.

Bravo! :clap: Exactly!

This thread went South along time ago. I'm more amazed the BR can remember that TT posted on a thread 4.5 years ago than anything Branded has said about bulls. Simply Amazing.

Branded I'm interested in raising CAB certified beef if it will make me more money. Tell me the secret so I can get started. Serious business, what do I need to do? I've got some pretty good angus cross cows and the facilities to raise yearlings/stocker cattle. What else am I missing?

************* said:
jscunn said:
True Grit Farms said:

I agree with this but would like to add this. Just because you can get a calf to 1,000 pounds at weaning doesn't mean it's profitable, at least in the commercial market. Mama cows living under a pivot and calves on unlimited creep feed since birth are not profitable.

Lucky said:
************* said:
jscunn said:

I agree with this but would like to add this. Just because you can get a calf to 1,000 pounds at weaning doesn't mean it's profitable, at least in the commercial market. Mama cows living under a pivot and calves on unlimited creep feed since birth are not profitable.

Boom!

NEFarmwife said:
Lucky said:
************* said:

Boom!

Depends on how they are sold, you'd be a dang fool to think SAV isn't making money marketing their cattle like they do.

TG,
Exactly. Lucky is right too. The thing is if you think that buy that 15000 average bull at SAV you are gonna get an extra 100 lbs of WW in your program you are gonna be disappointed. But hats off to Kelly for what he has built.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:
For 36 consecutive years a European crossbred has been named grand champion steer at the Fort Worth Stock Show.

Just sayin' :deadhorse: :pop:

Crossed with what?

Dunno. Information seems hard to come by. Can't even find a picture of the 2001 champ that sold for $600,000

Silver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:
For 36 consecutive years a European crossbred has been named grand champion steer at the Fort Worth Stock Show.

Just sayin' :deadhorse: :pop:

Crossed with what?

Dunno. Information seems hard to come by. Can't even find a picture of the 2001 champ that sold for $600,000

Do the funds go to a charity of some kind?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Crossed with what?

As I understand it the winner keeps a portion ($30K?), the rest goes to scholarships.

Silver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:

As I understand it the winner keeps a portion ($30K?), the rest goes to scholarships.

Well that's nice.

jscunn said:
True Grit Farms said:

Now give us their definitio of "managed".