Discipling someone else's child

Help Support CattleToday:

A great point ... if your folks own the farm, inform them of the possible risk. If you're due to inherit it, you may want to call the insurance agent yourself to see if you have coverage for injuries.

OwnedByTheCow":102atr0f said:
I am thinking that this weekend her and I will have a discussion about safe farm behavior on the way here and tell her that I am going to be more serious about it from now on and let her know what to expect. Such as the consequences for her actions. I think I will start first by seeing how a 5 minute time out will go.
I've never thought about putting a child in time out before. Do I walk her all the way to the house or should she just sit on a box? I could probably put her into one of the horse stalls in case of a meltdown. I don't think she can hurt herself in there. My parents have never put me in time out before, I have no first hand experience.

Go with the box first. It usually takes a minute or two at the max if it's going to work. Melt downs are ok. They usually get tired and give up. If there is any doubt she will hurt herself or does not want to co-operate it's time to call her mom to pick her up. Tell her she can return when she follows the rules.

You will make a great parent one day. Some times the best examples are the worse ones. This is a good time to practice. If you break these you can send them home. :D

I'd probably just stand or sit her against the barn wall if it was mine. Don't forget the positive rewards. Also if you're just walking around have you thought of just holding her hand while you're walking?

Craig Miller":c7rjlka7 said:
I'd probably just stand or sit her against the barn wall if it was mine. Don't forget the positive rewards. Also if you're just walking around have you thought of just holding her hand while you're walking?

My ears are still stretched out from my granny and mom dragging - walking me out of somewhere I miss behaved.

True Grit Farms":2tx02ruz said:
Craig Miller":2tx02ruz said:

My ears are still stretched out from my granny and mom dragging - walking me out of somewhere I miss behaved.

Same here but this is someone else's child who it sounds like doesn't believe in spanking. Laying a hand on this child could bring the wrath of a woman and that is never a good thing.

This reminds me of my next door neighbor when I was a child. His parents read that Dr. Spock book about rationalizing with a child and whenever we got into mischief we all would get whippings and his parents would sit him down and discuss things. We didn't like this one bit because often he was the reason we got our azzes whipped. One day we were giving him grief about this and he told us his parents didn't spank him because he enjoyed it. We called BS on this and to prove this he challenged us to whip him. Next thing led to him hanging upside down on a tree limb and and we commenced to whipping his bare azz with switches. He actually hung on longer than we expected but ended up running home crying to his mother. Shortly thereafter we all had our butts beat and we were comparing azz cheeks to see whose azz was the blackest.

As time went on he ended up getting into a lot of trouble with drugs and other things so it seems like that Dr. Spock didn't know shyt about the benefit of having your azz blackened as a child because all the other kids turned out alright.

True Grit Farms":3sl6rkqw said:
Craig Miller":3sl6rkqw said:

Yep...one hand grabbed hold an ear and the other making that willow limb sing.
"I'll get your good eye boy!" is what my granny threatened me with and made me believe it too.

Jogeephus":2uq6fjbl said:
True Grit Farms":2uq6fjbl said:
Craig Miller":2uq6fjbl said:

Same here but this is someone else's child who it sounds like doesn't believe in spanking. Laying a hand on this child could bring the wrath of a woman and that is never a good thing.

This reminds me of my next door neighbor when I was a child. His parents read that Dr. Spock book about rationalizing with a child and whenever we got into mischief we all would get whippings and his parents would sit him down and discuss things. We didn't like this one bit because often he was the reason we got our azzes whipped. One day we were giving him grief about this and he told us his parents didn't spank him because he enjoyed it. We called BS on this and to prove this he challenged us to whip him. Next thing led to him hanging upside down on a tree limb and and we commenced to whipping his bare azz with switches. He actually hung on longer than we expected but ended up running home crying to his mother. Shortly thereafter we all had our butts beat and we were comparing azz cheeks to see whose azz was the blackest.

As time went on he ended up getting into a lot of trouble with drugs and other things so it seems like that Dr. Spock didn't know shyt about the benefit of having your azz blackened as a child because all the other kids turned out alright.

I've probably told this story here before, but when our son was very small my wife had gone to lunch with a casual acquaintance who had a similarly aged child. When I got home she was telling me about it. She said our son sat in his high chair, ate his lunch, and minded his own business while the other child was constantly misbehaving. The other mother said something like "Why don't you be nice like Will?" Apparently that wasn't especially effective. Anyway, my wife also said that at some point while they were talking this lady said "We don't like to tell our child no. We figure he'll hear that often enough when he gets older." My wife lost touch with her shortly after this, but I often wonder how that policy worked out for her. Not well, I suspect.

greybeard":32zvvcub said:
True Grit Farms":32zvvcub said:
Craig Miller":32zvvcub said:

Yep...one hand grabbed hold an ear and the other making that willow limb sing.
"I'll get your good eye boy!" is what my granny threatened me with and made me believe it too.

Worst part was if Ma(grandma) had to get on any of us kids, as bad as that was it was mild compared to dads.
Lord help us if we misbehaved at someone else's house.

GB mine would pull a plum limb from the yard broom.
Kids today don't have a clue about that evil device.

When my brother and I were real young, we helped Dad plant a row of Maple trees behind the house. Little did we know the consequences. :shock:
Mom would go out and break off a switch and beat us. Mostly for feuding....
Dad almost never whipped us.
All three of us turned out fine, have good kids and not a mass murderer or felon among us.

Well today she came over and acted up again. Luckily her mother was there this time to actually see what I have to go through every time she comes and she took her home early. I am positive that things will change now that she was able to view her behavior.

OwnedByTheCow":a5jvubuv said:
Well today she came over and acted up again. Luckily her mother was there this time to actually see what I have to go through every time she comes and she took her home early. I am positive that things will change now that she was able to view her behavior.
Nothing will change unless somebody changes it.
Next time she is coming over might be good to have a talk with her mother along the line of, "You see how she acts, what do you think I should do about it?"

Latest posts