diesel & permethrin (Dun)

Help Support CattleToday:

It's really dry and hot here but humid also. I mist my steers with this solution from a pump sprayer all over. How often can I do this? They seem to need it every 10-14 days. Could I do it every 7 days?

tncattle":2g1mzm8j said:
It's really dry and hot here but humid also. I mist my steers with this solution from a pump sprayer all over. How often can I do this? They seem to need it every 10-14 days. Could I do it every 7 days?
As long as it's a very light mist and doesn;t really wet the hair too much I don;t see why not. Our cows get it a couple of times a day and we've had no ill affects

robertwhite":1i3yrr2d said:
What are you guys applying the mixture to a back rub with?
The label on mine suggests using a handheld pump-up sprayer with the nozzle removed, but I just mix 2 gallons at a time in a 2.5 gallon gas can and pour it straight from there. This gas can is labeled and is not used for anything else.

ALACOWMAN":3pvvh7hc said:
robertwhite":3pvvh7hc said:
.....I have been spraying Permectrin with my handheld and it seems to be working fine.[/quote] if i spray it on i dont mix with diesel either but i got those porous slick hided brahman influenced cows :cowboy:

=====================
What do you mix it with for spraying?

preston39":1uzm4tlk said:
ALACOWMAN":1uzm4tlk said:
robertwhite":1uzm4tlk said:
.....I have been spraying Permectrin with my handheld and it seems to be working fine.[/quote] if i spray it on i dont mix with diesel either but i got those porous slick hided brahman influenced cows :cowboy:

=====================
What do you mix it with for spraying?

Preston...ya mix it with water

tncattle":3cq7k6t7 said:
could I just diesel only and not mix it with anything?
Sure, you could. Or just squirt them with water. It would accomplish the same thing without the insecticide

dun":351bh6yz said:
tncattle":351bh6yz said:
Sure, you could. Or just squirt them with water. It would accomplish the same thing without the insecticide

Not trying to argue I you have way more experience that I do. But surely just plain diesel would have more effect on flies than water? I still have the mixture of diesel and permethrin and when I spray them it kills the flies on contact. I'm thinking the diesel has to have something do do with that. Or is the diesel just a good coating agent that doesn't easily wash off?

tncattle":2wscfxkg said:
dun":2wscfxkg said:
tncattle":2wscfxkg said:

Not trying to argue I you have way more experience that I do. But surely just plain diesel would have more effect on flies than water? I still have the mixture of diesel and permethrin and when I spray them it kills the flies on contact. I'm thinking the diesel has to have something do do with that. Or is the diesel just a good coating agent that doesn't easily wash off?
The diesel is a carrier that keeps the insecticide from drying up fast. It doesn;t have any affect other then that. It does make them look shiny and they repel water with it though

what should the diesel to permethrin .25% ratio be. ive got 6' premade backrubbers i got at tractor supply. this is first time using this product.

tnbullman1574":1d6x7464 said:
what should the diesel to permethrin .25% ratio be. ive got 6' premade backrubbers i got at tractor supply. this is first time using this product.
I'm no good at math so I just follow the directions. I use Permectrin II, it calls for 8 oz per 5 gal of diesel

One thing I found out the hard way about the rubs. If you ever let one deplete itself of diesel/insecticide mix, and then get soaking wet from rain or being knocked down into a mud puddle, You'll have heck getting it to absorb the diesel mixture afterwards. Water just displaces the diesel mix. Had to hang it on a fence in sun for a week to get it dried out. :(

Whether rubs or spray-on, with permethrin do you have to worry about them getting too much of it? Is it safe for pregnant and nursing cows?

We are hopefully getting ours up this weekend. With the exception of a few days, it's still been pretty cool. We plan to make some hang that they have to go under to get water. I assume you don't want them too near water (don't want them dripping in).

boondocks":1ticum6i said:
Whether rubs or spray-on, with permethrin do you have to worry about them getting too much of it? Is it safe for pregnant and nursing cows?

We are hopefully getting ours up this weekend. With the exception of a few days, it's still been pretty cool. We plan to make some hang that they have to go under to get water. I assume you don't want them too near water (don't want them dripping in).
You don;t want it dripping in the water but if it drips a little as they go through that doesn;t hurt anything. I've read on here that you don;t want to use diesel on Brahman influenced cattle, somone else can address that. Pregnant cows, nursing calves and calves from birth go through our mops and I've never seen an adverse affect. We've been doing it for 15 years so if there was a provlem it surly would have showed by now.
For cows that have never seen/used them before, we hanf them real high so all they have to do is walk under them without them being to near them. Over the span of a week we gradually lower it till they become used to it then finally we lower it into the position we want so they contact it as they go through. We haven;t brought in any new cattle now in years so the only ones that have to get accustomed to it are the newborn calves. Since it is higher then they are for the first month and they see mom going through they get to the point where it doesn;t concern them.

I use diesel/permethrin mix on my rubs with Beefmasters. Purebred BM is approx 50% Brahma.
No ill effects that I have seen.

I spray my cows with diesel fuel and permethrin. It works real good, kills flies on contact most of the time. You need to flush your sprayer with water when your done using it. Spraying cows for flies is a sure way to make it rain.

This is what I have started using. Instead of a rub, I just use a pump sprayer with the tip set at a stream and applied straight out the bottle. No mixing or dilution required. The label does state to use diesel when using on a rub though.

BF4CAFC4-4BDD-4F6B-9CA2-F9C12923CC1D_zps3de5ggmz.jpg

Latest posts