Dead Cow found in field (Photo)

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this thread got popular fast! Never knew a dead cow would invoke such varying responses. This really is fascinating, and thinking about it, I don't really know how I'd dispose of a cow if I was in the same situation. Occasionally I have healthy-looking deer die in the woods around my house, I think because they eat all the poisonous plants I've planted (I planted them because the deer aren't supposed to eat them, apparently mine didn't get the memo), and I tend to just leave the bodies where they fall so scavengers can have their fill. Although, a cow is at least 10 times the size of a deer, so perhaps just leaving it out might not be such a great option. Would the other cattle avoid the pond if there was a dead, decaying animal in the vicinity?

ga.prime":21ouc1co said:
SinCosTan":21ouc1co said:
Hey everyone! I don't know the first thing about cattle
Do you know anything about trigonometry?

Not much. I'm more a biology geek really... I just needed to think of a username and my calculator was sitting next to my computer.

Also, I'm female, hahaha.

I'm with Gale on this one. I believe one of the ten commandments is " thou shall not view graven images" and i happen to obey this rule. It's one thing to understand that things die, it's another to glorify it. I hate to see anything die.

regolith":iwzp0kep said:
You can chain a live cow by the neck and pull her up a cliff with negligible risk of injuring her. The same can't be said of hooking her by the hips or limbs.
If she's dead, doesn't matter so much. But provided the head and neck are accessible I always hook the chain exactly as pictured.
Welfare friendly probably not, but a rescue by chain and tractor is always better than a slow death. The scrapes heal.
Where death is accorded all due respect her photo wouldn't have been posted here. And none of us would have clicked the thread title.

beefy it's actually the high sheen on the cow's side that made me presume she'd been in the water. Lying in mud/wet grass would have done the same thing though, or twisting over after the tractor started pulling.

Well said. (High sheen on her may also have been San Francisco rain.)

ohiosteve":2l180llb said:
I'm with Gale on this one. I believe one of the ten commandments is " thou shall not view graven images" and i happen to obey this rule. It's one thing to understand that things die, it's another to glorify it. I hate to see anything die.
You need to review the twenty fifth chaper of exodus again. I realize Catholics dont recognize the second commandment- thou shall not make unto thee any graven image- but I fail to see how this pic applies to the text.

Massey135":epmt7q2p said:
ohiosteve":epmt7q2p said:
You need to review the twenty fifth chaper of exodus again. I realize Catholics dont recognize the second commandment- thou shall not make unto thee any graven image- but I fail to see how this pic applies to the text.
Massey/MF135 -- Don't start anything here with Christian religions. Okay?

SinCosTan":1ltfe89i said:
Wow, this thread got popular fast! Never knew a dead cow would invoke such varying responses. .............

Thats because these animals matter to us. They are not pets (usually) but in general we know our animals better than most non-farmers/ranchers know their pets. We work our a$$es off raising them, feeding them, administering medical and health care to them, building barns and fences to harbor and protect them, and performing all the other animal husbandry tasks that usually require a whole life style to do. When you loose one its hard not to feel something after all you have put into it emotionally, physically, and financially.

BTW, if your going to hike across peoples property please try to identify the owner and get permission. The owner probably won't mind but if they do you should know and respect it. The county tax assessors or appraisal district office can help you with this. Because of what I said above we definitely want to know what and who is in a our pastures at all times.

:arrow:
Kathie in Thorp":3r80j8if said:
Massey135":3r80j8if said:
ohiosteve":3r80j8if said:
You need to review the twenty fifth chaper of Exodus again. I realize Catholics dont recognize the second commandment- thou shall not make unto thee any graven image- but I fail to see how this pic applies to the text.
Massey/MF135 -- Don't start anything here with Christian religions. Okay?
But all the other 'kind' are fair game...? Typical

expensive hobby":79eqia8f said:
SinCosTan":79eqia8f said:
Hey everyone! I don't know the first thing about cattle, but yesterday I was walking around a pond in a field and came across this dead cow.

6645231025_92d0fe346b_z.jpg

There was no obvious sign of injury to the animal, it looks like it just dropped dead. Has anyone seen anything like this? The fact that it did so near a pond makes me think it might have eaten something poisonous perhaps? Or maybe it had some sort of illness? It looked like it had been there for a couple days, since the body was pretty bloated.

I spend a lot of time hiking, and I've just never seen anything like this so I'm pretty curious. I figured this would be the best place to ask. :)

Oh also, this was in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that means anything.
I think that they hooked the calf puller to the wrong animal.

Or maybe BW issues are really getting to be more and more of a problem in the black breed and that in fact is a calf!

Yeah, well, I'm surprised this thread got so long too.

As most of you know, I have a small herd of a registered niche breed, Dexters. I deal in individuals, not large numbers. They all have identities, to me if not to anyone else. This is an entirely opposite approach to what most of you do with your large herds of commercial animals.

I've gained a respect for life (and death) from my experience over the past 12 years because of the animals on this farm. I will not apologize for my approach to how I raise or care for them. At age 63, I don't have to.

Whether you laugh at someone's leaving a dead animal out in the open or at my reaction to it is your choice; I learned a long time ago that I cannot be responsible for other people's thoughts or actions.

That is all I have to say on this.

ohiosteve":1vxnx6po said:
Graven image?? Ain't nobody worshipping this cow.

Massey135":1ngwvsa0 said:
ohiosteve":1ngwvsa0 said:
You must love being "wrong" all the time.

Gale Seddon":3ijy3qjv said:
Yeah, well, I'm surprised this thread got so long too.

As most of you know, I have a small herd of a registered niche breed, Dexters. I deal in individuals, not large numbers. They all have identities, to me if not to anyone else. This is an entirely opposite approach to what most of you do with your large herds of commercial animals.

I've gained a respect for life (and death) from my experience over the past 12 years because of the animals on this farm. I will not apologize for my approach to how I raise or care for them. At age 63, I don't have to.

Whether you laugh at someone's leaving a dead animal out in the open or at my reaction to it is your choice; I learned a long time ago that I cannot be responsible for other people's thoughts or actions.

That is all I have to say on this.

Good for you, Gale. There's no need for you, or anyone else, to apoligize just because they see things through a different set of eyes than others. As for the disposal of the body, it looks like the owner was making the attempt but got sidetracked for some reason. I trust he/she will complete the task soon. Like you, I am disappointed at some of the replies in this thread. Someone lost a cow. I don't see anything funny about that.

TexasBred":16b6p3ee said:
Massey135":16b6p3ee said:
ohiosteve":16b6p3ee said:
You must love being "wrong" all the time.
Present the facts suggesting otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts