DDG and the beef industry

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj

Reaction score
Will the corn price and ethanol help the beef industry compete? The ddg make a pretty good feed for beef but do not have as much value for pork or poultry. Will this let us compete a little better than them if they have to use an all corn ration? Could this be the silver lining in the cloud oh high corn prices? Also gluten can have the same advantage . Will a reduced bean crop cause the price of bean meal up in poultry and pork rations?

I don't think it is going to help us much. Reduced bean production will surely make for higher meal prices for the poultry and hog industry. But just the same the more ethanol plants we have the more corn gets used. Everyones says yeah but with more ethanol plants come more ddgs for feed. Thats true but these ethanol companies are not as stupid as corn farmers they know what their cost of production is and I'm guessing they will not sell their product below production costs just because that is what the market will bear. They know the corn is to high priced for the feedlot man so that means we will buy those ddgs if they are slightly lower priced by feed value. Unlike the corn farmer who sell it for whatever they can get it for. Double edged sword if you ask me.

The ddg make a pretty good feed

I dont claim to be an expert, but I dont feel like DDGS are going to be the great feedstuff it is made out to be....

Wet distillers doesnt store long. The nuntient content is highly variable due to the differences in drying. Once dried its considerably more expensive. DDGs have a very high oil content that can supress digestion of fiber in the diet. Phosphorus level is high. And possibly the largest issue is that we dont know exactly how it will affect the fatty-acids contained in the carcass, which could have human heath implications...

JMHO

All I can say is, I would much rather have a bushel of corn that 18 pounds of ddg.

mnmtranching

I think I can agree with that when fed to fat cattle. But I think for cows the DDG would be better.

lukem86":1382ceno said:
The ddg make a pretty good feed

I dont claim to be an expert, but I dont feel like DDGS are going to be the great feedstuff it is made out to be....

Wet distillers doesnt store long. The nuntient content is highly variable due to the differences in drying. Once dried its considerably more expensive. DDGs have a very high oil content that can supress digestion of fiber in the diet. Phosphorus level is high. And possibly the largest issue is that we dont know exactly how it will affect the fatty-acids contained in the carcass, which could have human heath

implications...

That is a large claim you are making on the health issue. Would you have some research data to back that up?

JMHO

That is a large claim you are making on the health issue. Would you have some research data to back that up?

I sure dont, and Im no scientist, but thats why I feel it is a large issue that needs to be researched more before the entire industry starts pushing DDGS into cattle.

Just something to think about:

In the 40s Dr. Francis Pottinger conducted an experiment for close to 15 years, on 900 cats to determine what effects processed foods have on the body. Without getting into all the his methods.... Groups of cats were either fed real foods or were fed denatured foods (pasteurized, evaporated, and condensed milk).

Definition of denatured from Websters : "to modify the molecular structure of (as a protein or DFNA) especially by heat, acid, alkali, or ultraviolet radiation so as to destroy or diminish some of the original properties and especially the specific biological activity" Would DDGs not be considered denatured?

Over 4 generations he found the following in the groups fed the denatured foods:

1st gen. developed diseases and illnesses near end of life.
2nd gen. developed diseases and illnesses in middle of life
3rd gen. developed diseases and illnesses in beginning of life, and many died before six months of age
4th gen. - no 4th gen. was produced.... 3rd gen parents were sterile, or the 4th gen cats were aborted before birth.

Yes, i know its cats, in a controlled environment, and how much can we take from this and apply it to humans or cattle? I really dont know, but I personally find it and interesting study.

Latest posts