Daughters Breaks Deerhunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
My number 1 daughter called me yesterday morning checking on horses...They had shot a deer down in the breaks on Fort Peck Lake...All my horses were north where we had been using them--so they decided instead to bone out and pack the deer out...

Stacy with the 6X6 she got...She thought it was wider before she shot it-but it does have nice height...Dads old 250 Savage gets another one ;-)

StacysDeer003.jpg

Stacy and friend Mark who was hunting with them and helped her and Jory pack it out...
StacysDeer004.jpg

Old buck- quartered and ready to go out...
StacysDeer001.jpg

Loaded up and ready to head out...
StacysDeer006.jpg

The pack out ended up being 3 or 4 miles all uphill from the Lake...She said that if they'd reallized it was so far- and if they didn't have their boat already winterized- they'd have brought the boat across the Lake and then it would have been a 1/4 mile downhill pack to the boat...They didn't get out until after dark-- and saw a couple nice bucks on the way out...She said if she had to do that everyday- she'd have her high school figure back fast...
StacysDeer005.jpg

That's a nice breaks buck, I like the high deep forks.

Never heard of Montana Ranch Folks who pack out muleys on their back :shock: ;-)

I love the Missouri Breaks Country, I envy you for having a back yard like that. 8)

Congrats on a great hunt!

mnmtranching":1t2ozfj4 said:
That's a nice breaks buck, I like the high deep forks.

Never heard of Montana Ranch Folks who pack out muleys on their back :shock: ;-)

I love the Missouri Breaks Country, I envy you for having a back yard like that. 8)

Congrats on a great hunt!

Yep-- I think my daughter was hoping to hear I had a couple of horses down here at the river place, I could bring to her--but I would have had to run 70 miles to the north place, where we been working cows and left the horses- and then 30 more miles to where she was...I told her the exercise was good for her ;-)

I've spent a lot of years in those breaks--first as a kid working for different ranchs- and then later in my life, I fought a lot of fires out there...Pretty country but rough...

What part of the state were you hunting in?

Nice deer, great scenic view! It must be hard to look for deer when there is such a grand landscape to look at. Do you have whitetails in the river bottoms along with the mule deer?

;-)

TLCfromARK":3cnk4eqv said:
Nice deer, great scenic view! It must be hard to look for deer when there is such a grand landscape to look at. Do you have whitetails in the river bottoms along with the mule deer?

;-)

Yep-- Whitetails are thicker than fleas on a coyote down on the river bottoms--and usually plumb fat from eating on my hay meadows..... :lol: Lot of the river bottom hunting ground is leased out to outfitters- and the only way you can get in there is book a paid hunt with an outfitter :( Which also means a lot less deer shot and overpopulation which is bad on haystacks and deer come a rought winter...

One day I was driving a road that runs along the river at daylight and in less than 10 miles counted over 4000 head of deer grazing the hay meadows.....

Had a deer problem a few years ago getting into the hay and tearing it up. Got so over populated that they had some sort of disease running through them. Found sick and dead deer everywhere.
Tried to get a damage hunt done here, no luck. Gave our neighbor a kill permit and us nothing, go figure.

Latest posts