Dart guns!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi, I just purchased the Pneu Dart air gun, 178B and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts. I keep reading that everyone uses Draxxin to treat pink eye, and they use the pneu dart gun to do it. I think I'm missing something. Someone please let me know if I can just use the dart and shoot her in the neck where it says to put the med.
I shoot all mine in the neck with draxxin whether its pink eye, resiratory, foot rot or pretty much anything else.

Hi, I just purchased the PneuDart air gun and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing the Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts.
I've heard that they actually do make darts that deliver the injection subcutaneous (under the skin). I have never seen it used those. I always just use the regular darts for intramuscular.
There is no way to use those as a subq. I try to put the dart in the neck area just as you would in a chute, and that way the intramuscular method does not do damage good meat areas.

I also use the Pneu Dart gun mainly out on the range where it's not easy to bring cows in to treat. Only issue I don't like is after shooting a dart (neck area) it can sometimes take a while for the dart to fall out. I don't like leaving darts on the ground and it's not easy to find the dart a few days later when you have miles of ground to cover. So the waiting for it to fall out can be time consuming. I've tried Vaseline or warm water to make the gel collar dissolve quicker but still a waiting game. Good luck, the gun is a great resource.

I also use the Pneu Dart gun mainly out on the range where it's not easy to bring cows in to treat. Only issue I don't like is after shooting a dart (neck area) it can sometimes take a while for the dart to fall out. I don't like leaving darts on the ground and it's not easy to find the dart a few days later when you have miles of ground to cover. So the waiting for it to fall out can be time consuming. I've tried Vaseline or warm water to make the gel collar dissolve quicker but still a waiting game. Good luck, the gun is a great resource.
I have noticed the dart being slow to fall out. But I figure it's still less time and lots easier than catching one.

I never have the patience to wait for it to fall out. I also would probably lose it anyway because the calf mix with the others... is it normal to wait? I hate to leave darts in the pasture but can't imagine waiting on every one.

I have noticed the dart being slow to fall out. But I figure it's still less time and lots easier than catching one.
I figure the time it takes for the dart to fall out is two minutes longer than the patience I have to wait at any given time. Some days it's ten minutes, some days 25. All I have to do is leave for two minutes and it's on the ground and then I gotta spend 10 minutes looking for it.
BUT they are a great tool.

I have a Pneu dart gun. I use the 1/2 inch needles with Draxxin and shot them in the neck.

The pneu-dart is great but for the availability of darts. Presently, I can only find the 4 and 5 cc and need the 10cc.

I have noticed if you can shoot them from up close the report of the gun frightens them and they jump and run a bit. This gets the dart out quickly.

I have a Cap-chur and it's pretty nice. Used it for the first time in years last year for an isolated pink eye case. Took two darts to get enough draxxin in her. Darts fell out within a few minutes, I found them both. Not my preferred way of doing things but it works in a pinch.

I always put Neosporin on the needles which helps them fall out and maybe prevents infections. To answer some of your questions the Tri-port needles have an end port and two ports on the side. The two ports on the side are down on the needle which allows the medicine to be injected just under the skin. Also they IMO inject better.

Hi, I just purchased the PneuDart air gun and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing the Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts.
I use a 3/4 inch needle for that and seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Hi, I just purchased the Pneu Dart air gun, 178B and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts. I keep reading that everyone uses Draxxin to treat pink eye, and they use the pneu dart gun to do it. I think I'm missing something. Someone please let me know if I can just use the dart and shoot her in the neck where it says to put the med.
I have a Cap-Chur 22 Rifle that I use and use a 3/4 inch needle and shoot it into the neck.

I recently just purchased a Cap-Chur 22 Rifle and it seems to work just fine I sometimes use LA 300 but you have to give at least two 20 cc darts for a cow and even more for the Bull so I bought a generic to Draxxin called Increxxa and seems to work just fine, my Bull got foot rot and I gave him a shot of the Increxxa and he was walking normal the next day. Has anyone seen the new charges for the reusable darts that Cap-Chur are selling now they are plastic they do not sell the brass ones no more.

I bought a pneu dart gun 3-4 weeks ago. Bought 7cc & 10cc darts. Fired one of the practice darts. I have been told by those who have used them several years too shoot them in the hip. Haven't shot any livestock yet. Bought Generic Draxxin.

I bought a pneu dart gun 3-4 weeks ago. Bought 7cc & 10cc darts. Fired one of the practice darts. I have been told by those who have used them several years too shoot them in the hip. Haven't shot any livestock yet. Bought Generic Draxxin.
Forget shooting in the hip.
Follow BQA even if its with a dart. Plus the neck is much softer anyway so easier for the dart to go in.

You should only shoot in the neck. Injection site will have tissue damage.

Latest posts