Dang cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Thermometer in the deer stand this morning says 25! Our coldest time always starts about Christmas.
Wood ducks 🦆 seem to be enjoying it on the pond this morning.

That is probably what our average morning low has been for the last two months. That is what it is this morning. Just the start to a nice day. It has to get below 10 before I break out the long under wear. It has only done that once so far this year.

Caustic Burno said:
Thermometer in the deer stand this morning says 25! Our coldest time always starts about Christmas.
Wood ducks 🦆 seem to be enjoying it on the pond this morning.

About what we had out here this morning but better than the 19 yesterday. Still chills you to the bone if you stay out very long. CB you may have to drop a baked sweet tater in each pocket of them overalls. :lol2: :lol2:

25 is about my tipping point between wearing a ball cap and putting on the Stormy Kromer and a wild rag. Also where I go to insulated gloves as opposed to cotton gloves. I don't start bundling up until it gets into the low teens. I do prefer frozen mud to just plain mud.

sstterry said:
It is 20 here right now, and it was 19 yesterday. CB I don't think you would get me out into that for hunting, heater or not!

Of course hogs didn't come in, nothing but deer. Dang hogs hit you two nights and gone for a week or two. I hate them.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
It is 20 here right now, and it was 19 yesterday. CB I don't think you would get me out into that for hunting, heater or not!

Of course hogs didn't come in, nothing but deer. Dang hogs hit you two nights and gone for a week or two. I hate them.

Luckily we don't have hog problems here, YET!

I looked it up. The "average" low temperature for Baker County in November through March is at 25 degrees or lower. October and April don't beat that by much. I know that is too cold for a bunch of you but it does have its advantages. There are no homeless people around here. Mosquitoes and snakes go into hiding. Mud is not an issue. Very few Californians and other southern people moving in on us.

It was damp wet cold here this morning, the kind that makes my arthritis hurt. We have come a long ways in the last fifty years in clothing and comfort hunting. If you would have told me fifty years ago I would be sitting in a heated stand with sliding windows in a high back swivel recliner watching the Patriots and Bills, I would have said your nuts.

Silver said:
You haven't seen it cold until you've kicked a cow turd across the yard and heard it tinkle melodiously.
Neighbors kid was riding a sled and broke his arm on a frozen cow turd.

jltrent said:
Silver said:
You haven't seen it cold until you've kicked a cow turd across the yard and heard it tinkle melodiously.
Neighbors kid was riding a sled and broke his arm on a frozen cow turd.

Guy I went to college with got injured pretty bad. Zooming across a pasture on a snowmobile, hit a big frozen cow turd, and flipped the snowmobile. At least that is the story I was told.

Nesikep said:
Silver said:

Nothing worse than stubbing your toe on a cow turd!

Or trip over, or twist an ankle on... lol

But since I've brought the sound of frozen turds, I'm suddenly curios as to how cold it must be before they become musical. Hopefully won't get a chance to find out this winter, but if it happens I will try to record the temperature just for inquiring minds :lol:

Silver said:
Nesikep said:
Silver said:

Nothing worse than stubbing your toe on a cow turd!

Or trip over, or twist an ankle on... lol

But since I've brought the sound of frozen turds, I'm suddenly curios as to how cold it must be before they become musical. Hopefully won't get a chance to find out this winter, but if it happens I will try to record the temperature just for inquiring minds :lol:

If this is to be a true scientific experiment there will be other variables to be controlled. What is the size of the cow turd? What is the diet of the cow who left the turd? How long has said turd been on the ground? How hard are you kicking it? And of course it is not just the temperature when it comes to weather conditions. Is it overcast? Wind, both speed and direction? And then there is the volume of the sound of the tinkle itself. How do you intend to measure the sound. You know that inquiring minds want details. You might have to apply for a grant in order to record all this important information.

Latest posts