Current Herd Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
After being in with the cows for 60 days, we pulled the bulls out last week. We had split the herd into three breeding groups. I am anticipating a much tighter calving season this next spring, as we did not see anything come back into heat after the first 35 days of the breeding season. These are the sires that we used.

BB Uncle Tony- Tony is 7 years old now. We bred him to the majority of our older cows because the majority of our younger cows are his descendants.

BB Backbone's General- General is a 4 year old son of Monterey Marshall whose first calves we are expecting in about 6 weeks. He had an 81 lb birth weight and was the best of our 2015 calf crop. We sold him as a yearling and bought him back this past October. We bred him to all of our Tony daughters and granddaughters, and he is a complete outcross to the rest of our herd.

BB Backbone's Dominion- Dominion is a 2 year old Tony son that was the best of our 2017 calf crop. He had an 82 lb birth weight, and we are using him to moderate some of our largest cows. He was the last calf out of one of our top producing cows.

Tony is a beast. Hands down, he has been your best producer, IMHO. But, I'm not excited about his son Dominion at this stage.
I sure can see why you wanted to put General to work. Super nice bull.

Tony is my fave of the bunch, though age usually will fill any animal out better, General is Looooong, Dominion, I have to agree with Jeanne, see how his calves are, and how he fills in with some age

I'm a big fan of a shorter calving season, too. They look good Backbone.
If I remember correctly we were skeptical about Tony as a young bull in comparison to the older bull you were using.

I really appreciate the feedback. We have been extraordinarily pleased with the phenotype and performance of Tony's progeny over the years. His oldest daughters are 4 and 5 years old now and are raising some really nice calves. I really think that General will cross well with them. As for Dominion, I have to agree with the comments about him. We prefer his sire Tony at this point in time, but we will see how his calves compare. This was Dominion with his 10 year old dam back in January of 2018. Dominion was 7 months old then. His dam always added muscling to her calves, and so far, all of her progeny have done the same.

Latest posts