Coyotes and various other uninvited critters..beware...

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Because Angel is now patroling the place!

Angel is a 7 year old Great Pyr..shes been guarding sheep and goats her whole life. She solidified her position when, the first night she was hear, as the 'yotes yipped at a passing train, she howled back at them..a very low, warning howl, to which the coyotes became silent. :)

I hope having her here keeps my lamb losses at nil. She is very very sweet dog..but I certainly wouldnt want to cross her.

she is lacking about 20 pounds..but we are slowly building her weight back up.

first day home (yes it rained!)
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture105740-photo.JPG

Eating some freeze dried beef trachea
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture105861-angel1.JPG

With my son
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture106218-angelcasey.JPG

Congrats S&S, she is a very pretty gal !! Glad to hear she is acclimating so well, and she seems to have taken your son as one of her own too.

Here I was suggesting breeds to you a few months ago and I end up getting a darn Pyrenees(x) guardian dog as well. :lol:

I tell ya hillsdown, I looked at ALOT of different breeds..the big ones in my area were Pyr, Akbash and Anatolian..I just "like" the Pyr's..something about them..they also seemed to be the most "easy going" of the three, in regards to other dogs and people..still good guardians though. my big fear was her temperment, but she is extremly easy going and really figured out who her family was and what her role was here at the place. and she really loves kids, which is a big plus to me.

This old gal apparently likes chickens..as in eating them..hence her needing a new home and me getting her...but that works fine for me (I cant stand chickens and have none). Now I can look for a pup for her to train.

The one thing I am having a tough time adjusting to is <up all night, sleep all day>. His barking has now become annoying . Hubby was finally home last night and he slept, well snored actually , all the way through it but I couldn't sleep. Spartan is pretty good when I tell him to give it a rest for a while ,but then the howling starts in the distance and he is off and barking again . This could just kill me during calving season.. :bang:

Need to get his house here asap so he can sleep elsewhere ,than on the deck .

That is too funny S&S about the chickens ... :lol: Good thing you don't have any .. if she is running free at night I hope your neighbors don't either . :p

spinandslide":ofpllyfm said:
Angel thankfully isn't an excessive barker..and she is contained, because my neighbors do have chickens! :)
Throw her a rooster every once in a while. :cowboy:

The only caution I have with Pyr's is they tend to wander . The sheep outfitts around here have them and they just stay out with the sheep . They have a self feeder out for the dog that the sheep cann't get into .They are probably the most docile of the guard dogs .

Latest posts