Cows have the right of way?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Makes sense to me!

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.21.2007
PHOENIX — If you have any doubt that the Wild West is still alive in Arizona, a new court ruling could change that.
In a unanimous decision, the state Court of Appeals concluded that if you hit a bull or a cow crossing the road, it's pretty much your fault. Put another way, cattle are presumed to have the right of way.
Charles B. "Doc" Lane, lobbyist for the Arizona Cattle Growers Association, said the ruling should come as no surprise.
Lane said all land in Arizona is presumed to be "open range."
In essence, that means the owners of cattle don't need to fence them in. More to the point, if you don't want cattle on your property, you have to fence them out.
So a homeowner who doesn't want a neighbor's cattle chewing on the flowers is responsible for building the fence.
And, as in this case, it means that unless a fence is built along the road, drivers have to watch for what might wander into their path.
That's what happened to Ronald and Tonya Brookover who in 2003 were driving from Phoenix to their home in Salome. On a two-lane road they struck a cow, with the accident causing their vehicle to roll and land on its roof.
The road went through land being leased by Roberts Enterprises Inc., which had not constructed fences along the road. There was no prior record of any crashes between cars and cattle on that stretch.
And the Brookovers acknowledged they had seen cattle along the road, though not in that area.
A trial judge threw out the case, based on the concept of open range. The couple then appealed, saying that, at the very least, they should have had the opportunity to have a court look at the specifics of this case.
But appellate Judge Jon Thompson, writing for the court, disagreed.
Thompson said the law in Arizona is that cattle owners owe a "duty of ordinary care" to motorists traveling on public roads. But he said that has to be measured "in light of the apparent risk."
He said while there is evidence that owners of the company knew that paved roads meant an increased risk of cattle-car collisions, there was no evidence of any crashes in this vicinity.
Lane said there are circumstances in which the owner of cattle could be held responsible for crashes. For example, he said a rancher who puts a water tank on the opposite side of the road from the grazing area could be presumed to be taking actions that unnecessarily endanger the traveling public.
Source: http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/183966

Most states in the west still have areas of open range laws. In Washington you will be driving down the road and there will be a road sign that says, "Entering open range area watch out for livestock". You hit a cow in one of those areas, you get to buy the cow. But the areas are generally very rural. Not near the large population centers. Also if you have land in those areas you are reponcable for fencing livestock off your property instead of the rancher being responcable for fencing his livestock off your property.
Things are a little different here and I wish people would stop moving here and trying to change things to be like they are where they came from.

Dave":2sedajl5 said:
Things are a little different here and I wish people would stop moving here and trying to change things to be like they are where they came from.

That's something that really chaps my butt. People move out of an area to somewhere they think is better then try to make it just like it was where they left.

I wish that would work out here in California so if one of my cows does break out Im not liable but for now I am which is ok since is my responsability to keep them in but in Arizona case it should go to the ranchers if that was open range prior the state/ county should help you guys with cost

I wish that would work out here in California so if one of my cows does break out Im not liable but for now I am which is ok since is my responsability to keep them in but in Arizona case it should go to the ranchers if that was open range prior the state/ county should help you guys with cost

vs_cattle":2k2qflqk said:

It does work in CA, in the eastern Sierra area

dun

Wonder if the same is true for armadillos, skunks, coons, and possums in NE Texas :lol:

Dave":hgcfo2jg said:
Most states in the west still have areas of open range laws. In Washington you will be driving down the road and there will be a road sign that says, "Entering open range area watch out for livestock". You hit a cow in one of those areas, you get to buy the cow. But the areas are generally very rural. Not near the large population centers. Also if you have land in those areas you are reponcable for fencing livestock off your property instead of the rancher being responcable for fencing his livestock off your property.

I don't think Wyoming has open range laws - at least I couldn't find any when I did a search a few months back - but land owners here are responsible for fencing livestock off their property.

I understand that my cousin got a judgement from a lady that took him to court over and cattle/car acccident. She had to pay replacement cost. Him being an attorney cost him his time. We live in GA. It is usually paid out by insurance. I can't recall but one claim in my lifetime.

Latest posts