Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Help Support CattleToday:

I wouldn't get into that. Wouldn't want to piss off a customer. I can vouch he makes $$$$ on cattle. There was a post a while back on Black Magic after Universal said "he looks like a Simmental and doubted he was full blooded angus". I think some "hybrid vigor" is injected and the sires/dams are switched etc. I know a breeder in Utah that told me he does so.

Richnm said:
I wouldn't get into that. Wouldn't want to be nice off a customer. I can vouch he makes $$$$ on cattle. There was a post a while back on Black Magic after Universal said "he looks like a Simmental and doubted he was full blooded angus". I think some "hybrid vigor" is injected and the sires/dams are switched etc. I know a breeder in Utah that told me he does so.
Unfortunately those shenanigans has happened in the breed. Hopefully with dna, it will be a thing of the past.

Ebenezer said:
The fault I see is in the stride as he does not track rear feet into front tracks. That tells me there is a bone angle issue that I do not want to have if I can avoid it.

Ebenezer/or others

When you say "does not track" above -- are you looking for the rear hoof to land exactly in the same spot as the front step? Or you speaking that the rear hoof lands not directly behind the front step (laterally/horizontally)? The bull looks fairly long, so wasn't sure how body length factors into assessment of stride?

Always trying to learn myself, so thanks for any knowledge you can share!

"...the rear hoof to land exactly in the same spot as the front step?" or within a few inches. I'll try to dig up some recently published info I read the other night. Dr. Robert Long had the most research on it at CSU but it might be too dated to be assumed relevant for modern thinkers. For me, it is a great knowledge base and a way to avoid the problems. I enjoyed corresponding with him after he retired and always enjoyed his books, papers and AJ articles from years back.

The body looks long because the leg bones are set at a different angle than the norm. Few bulls have been documented with an extra set of ribs.

Ebenezer said:
The body looks long because the leg bones are set at a different angle than the norm. Few bulls have been documented with an extra set of ribs.

Thanks! I will do some looking for those sources.

I have two steers I should take photos of -- one is stubby short -- maybe he has fewer ribs? haha.

Resurrecting old threads . . .

Breeding season 2019 went poorly in terms of conception. I wasn't the only one in my region. But, as a result I ended up with a hodgpodge of AI sires due to the "what do you have in the tank?" question to my AI tech.

But I did end up with calves by both Cowboy Up and Enhance. Two ends of the spectrum both on paper and likely phenotypically.

The Enhance calves are fine. They don't stand out, but they aren't runts either.

But these Cowboy Up calves. Man, they are stamped. Bull and Heifers are all wide topped and thick. They appear to have some grow in them. Very consistent.

I realize CU is out of favor. But if I was a commercial guy selling feeder calves I think you could do worse.

In about four years I may be able to answer the original post question. A couple of the CU heifers I may retain. The dams are both good cows.

Stickney94 said:

Breeding season 2019 went poorly in terms of conception. I wasn't the only one in my region. But, as a result I ended up with a hodgpodge of AI sires due to the "what do you have in the tank?" question to my AI tech.

But I did end up with calves by both Cowboy Up and Enhance. Two ends of the spectrum both on paper and likely phenotypically.

The Enhance calves are fine. They don't stand out, but they aren't runts either.

But these Cowboy Up calves. Man, they are stamped. Bull and Heifers are all wide topped and thick. They appear to have some grow in them. Very consistent.

I realize CU is out of favor. But if I was a commercial guy selling feeder calves I think you could do worse.

In about four years I may be able to answer the original post question. A couple of the CU heifers I may retain. The dams are both good cows.

How is the docility between the different bulls?

Richnm said:
How is the docility between the different bulls?

Valid question. Both sets are still quite young.

The Enhance calves are as adverstised -- super docile -- and have been since birth.

The Cowboy Ups -- well what I would say is that if you are on big range country they come out able to outrun a coyote. ;-)

I have had the calves up in the sorting pen and I didn't notice anything different between sires. Out in the pasture they are noticeably more curious and playful. As in they will run up to me, run away, run up to me, run away. Maybe that helps them grow? haha

If the heifers aren't docile through weaning/backgrounding they won't be retained though.

Cowboy UP lead the Angus registration number last year (# 1 In registered calves) , but many of this EPDs have gone in the wrong direction. Compare the original pitched by semen distributors and the EPDs now on American Angus. Association website.

Cowboy UP lead the Angus registration number last year (# 1 In registered calves) , but many of this EPDs have gone in the wrong direction. Compare the original pitched by semen distributors and the EPDs now on American Angus. Association website.
Agreed. I didn't use CU for any reason other than he was in my AI reps tank and he was relatively cheap at the time. He didn't fit my program in 2019 anymore than he does now (I sell fat cattle direct to consumers).

But, his calves do look good as 4-6 month olds.

Latest posts