Cow with mucous discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
About 2 months ago bought some old thin feeder cows to fatten up for slaughter. Cows were not palpated. This morning as saw one cow get up and she had a string of clear mucous hanging from her rearend. When the string fell off, she turned around and licked it up off the ground. My question is this a sign of approaching birth of a calf or can it happen to open cows. FWIW-her vulva looks kind of loose also but haven't paid much attention to it previously. Udder hasn't bagged up. Kind of hoping she will spit out a bonus soon. What is your experience when this happens?

If it's stringy and clear and the lick it up usually they're within a couple of hours to a half day of calving

Clear and strung out about a foot long. That was around 8:30 this am. Saw her about an hour ago up and eating. Will be nice bonus if she has a baby.

I'm not mr 38,000 LOL but I have seen my cows have it in mid gestation and it was nothing. I would be more worried about the thin cow that was bred by god knows what than a nice bonus calf. Might be a disaster. Good luck either way.

shadyhollownj":2825mz1u said:
I'm not mr 38,000 LOL but I have seen my cows have it in mid gestation and it was nothing. I would be more worried about the thin cow that was bred be nice knows what than a nice bonus calf. Might be a disaster. Good luck either way.
Agree. I have seen mucous earlier in gestation also. But I might add that I have seen mucous with cows in heat also.
Can you check her rectally? Then you would know for sure! :D

branguscowgirl":39pm1zzd said:
shadyhollownj":39pm1zzd said:
I'm not mr 38,000 LOL but I have seen my cows have it in mid gestation and it was nothing. I would be more worried about the thin cow that was bred be nice knows what than a nice bonus calf. Might be a disaster. Good luck either way.
Agree. I have seen mucous earlier in gestation also. But I might add that I have seen mucous with cows in heat also.
Can you check her rectally? Then you would know for sure! :D
The key to my thinking is the licking it up. Never have seen a cow do that with normal discharges. I hope I'm wrong, won;t be the first time

The cow is within a week of calving. The earliest we have had a cow have a mucus discharge was 3 weeks before calving, but the majority will calve within a week of showing discharge.

Latest posts