Cotton is Racist

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3gv79obt said:
skyhightree1":3gv79obt said:
But can you please seriously tell me how using a flag that is not this nations flag tell people you are proud to be from the south vs a negative connotation. I know you are very far from racist but I'm asking if folks don't know you can you tell me what exactly would tell everyone else not raised in the south that the flag is just because you were raised in the south ?

Sky that is a good question and I will try to answer it as it relates to me and the people I know. First you have two camps so the sentiments are divisive. In the first camp you have those who believe the War Between the States was all about slavery. I am not in this camp nor do I know anyone who believes this but many of your professors say this is the case. But history also tells us that Lincoln said he would not free the first slave if he could save the union so that argument seems to hold as much water as they saying all the soldiers who enlisted to fight in the mideast enlisted because we wanted their oil.

The other camp, the one I belong to, believes the war was fought for state's rights. Our idea is the country should be a loose coalition of state's with each state having ultimate control of their sovereignty so we wouldn't again fall into the problems resulting from a strong central authority as we did with the english monarchy. So when I see the confederate flag I don't think of slavery but the idea of state's rights and the freedom and voice given its citizens. So when I see some ignorant white trash nazi waving the confederate flag it pizzes me off because they are disrespecting it and the very idea of what it stands for.
Joe do you get this same feeling when you see one of the official flags of the CSA instead of the battle flag? Most wouldn't even recognize it except Ryder here on the board.

TexasBred":esayw4um said:
Joe do you get this same feeling when you see one of the official flags of the CSA instead of the battle flag? Most wouldn't even recognize it except Ryder here on the board.

Yes, but mostly the third national flag. I have one of these. Like you say, most people don't recognize this is and even fewer know this is the only confederate flag that was not surrendered. Thankfully the ignorant neo-nazi types who equate the confederate battle flag with their racial hate don't know what it is and have yet to tarnish its symbolism. Its sad, but it gotten so now if you see the battle flag in the media its always accompanied by swastikas in the background. And yes, this offends me.

Jogeephus":vf9sj683 said:
TexasBred":vf9sj683 said:

Yes, but mostly the third national flag. I have one of these. Like you say, most people don't recognize this is and even fewer know this is the only confederate flag that was not surrendered. Thankfully the ignorant neo-nazi types who equate the confederate battle flag with their racial hate don't know what it is and have yet to tarnish its symbolism. Its sad, but it gotten so now if you see the battle flag in the media its always accompanied by swastikas in the background. And yes, this offends me.

Copied from a press report on why neo-Nazi groups adopted the Confederate flag. Pretty disgusting!

Germany

In Germany, the Confederate flag is not void of political context. European skinheads and neo-Nazi groups have adopted the Confederate flag and variations of it because of its historical context as a symbol of racism and white supremacy.

In addition, the Atlantic reports that American Civil War reenactments have become popular in Germany, with many Germans choosing to side with the Confederacy.

Wolfgang Hochbruck, a professor of American Studies at the University of Freiburg, told the Atlantic this is because "some of the Confederate reenactors in Germany are acting out Nazi fantasies of racial superiority."

Bright Raven":304yhabj said:
Copied from a press report on why neo-Nazi groups adopted the Confederate flag. Pretty disgusting!

Germany

In Germany, the Confederate flag is not void of political context. European skinheads and neo-Nazi groups have adopted the Confederate flag and variations of it because of its historical context as a symbol of racism and white supremacy.

In addition, the Atlantic reports that American Civil War reenactments have become popular in Germany, with many Germans choosing to side with the Confederacy.

Wolfgang Hochbruck, a professor of American Studies at the University of Freiburg, told the Atlantic this is because "some of the Confederate reenactors in Germany are acting out Nazi fantasies of racial superiority."

I guess this just goes to show we don't have a monopoly on stupidity in this country. I think it a shame these idiots use this flag for their symbol of hate and intolerance when they don't even know what it stood for and the more these cretins wave this flag alongside swastikas the more I will distance myself from it. I shouldn't have to do that nor should I have to live in a country where we can't have monuments to remember our history. Its sad when a few idiots control the actions of the majority. But it is why I probably won't be getting sheared at the barbershop again because I don't want people staring at me like I'm some ignorant skinhead. All this offends me.

While I'm in the confessional I'll also confess the democratic party offends me. How can anyone be a democrat when it is clearly the party of slavery? My goodness how have things gotten twisted?

Jogeephus":1ibu5oyy said:
Bright Raven":1ibu5oyy said:

Germany

I guess this just goes to show we don't have a monopoly on stupidity in this country. I think it a shame these idiots use this flag for their symbol of hate and intolerance when they don't even know what it stood for and the more these cretins wave this flag alongside swastikas the more I will distance myself from it. I shouldn't have to do that nor should I have to live in a country where we can't have monuments to remember our history. Its sad when a few idiots control the actions of the majority. But it is why I probably won't be getting sheared at the barbershop again because I don't want people staring at me like I'm some ignorant skinhead. All this offends me.

While I'm in the confessional I'll also confess the democratic party offends me. How can anyone be a democrat when it is clearly the party of slavery? My goodness how have things gotten twisted?

Your points are fair. At the end of the day, truth is elusive. What drives social issues is not what is "true" or "right" but more so what is believed. There is a large social conscience that holds the Confederate flags represent racism and white supremacy. Sometimes it is easier to stop pounding your head against the wall and accept reality even if it does not ring true with your values!

Controversy Edit

For use of Confederate symbols in modern society and popular culture, see Modern display of the Confederate flag.

An elongated (2:1 aspect ratio) version of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, and similar to The Second Confederate Navy Jack, in use from 1863 until 1865, although with the darker blue field of the Army's battle flag.
Despite never having historically represented the Confederate States of America as a country, nor officially recognized as one of its national flags, the rectangular Second Confederate Navy Jack and the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia are now flag types commonly referred to as the Confederate Flag. They both have become a widely recognized symbol of the Southern United States.[41] It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross[42] and is often incorrectly referred to as the Stars and Bars.[43] The actual "Stars and Bars" is the first national flag, which used an entirely different design.

As of the early 21st century, the "rebel flag" has become a highly divisive symbol in the United States.[44]

This is according to Wikipedia, it didn't offend and wasn't a divisive symbol till the ring leaders on both sides abused the flag for personal gain.

True Grit Farms":34gtsp2x said:
Controversy Edit

For use of Confederate symbols in modern society and popular culture, see Modern display of the Confederate flag.

An elongated (2:1 aspect ratio) version of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, and similar to The Second Confederate Navy Jack, in use from 1863 until 1865, although with the darker blue field of the Army's battle flag.
Despite never having historically represented the Confederate States of America as a country, nor officially recognized as one of its national flags, the rectangular Second Confederate Navy Jack and the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia are now flag types commonly referred to as the Confederate Flag. They both have become a widely recognized symbol of the Southern United States.[41] It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross[42] and is often incorrectly referred to as the Stars and Bars.[43] The actual "Stars and Bars" is the first national flag, which used an entirely different design.

As of the early 21st century, the "rebel flag" has become a highly divisive symbol in the United States.[44]

This is according to Wikipedia, it didn't offend and wasn't a divisive symbol till the ring leaders on both sides abused the flag for personal gain.

Good post Vince. What hits me is what you presented in bold.

Bright Raven":tyuz4jrm said:
Your points are fair. At the end of the day, truth is elusive. What drives social issues is not what is "true" or "right" but more so what is believed. There is a large social conscience that holds the Confederate flags represent racism and white supremacy. Sometimes it is easier to stop pounding your head against the wall and accept reality even if it does not ring true with your values!

True enough. Afterall, few care to acknowledge that the american indians were the first slave owners in america nor do they care to accept the fact that a black man was the first legally sanctioned slave owner in america. These facts are irrelevant and their dissatisfaction must be directed toward inanimate stone objects or even plants like cotton which offends their sensitivities.

If cotton is racist then black folk need to quit letting their dang underwear (Hanes )show above their britches! Pants up, and get a job!

Turkeybird":34qmlrbe said:
If cotton is racist then black folk need to quit letting their dang underwear (Hanes )show above their britches! Pants up, and get a job!

I don't think that situation is unique to any particular race. See plenty of white folk around here, that to quote a friend " they're looking for work and hoping they don't find any." Other day while at a local service station, my wife said in reference to a young white man she saw, "Oh my stars pull up your pants." She went on to say that he was playing with his belt, she wondered why he even had a belt on if it wasn't serving any purpose.

Germany

Pure fantasy made up to demonize..

Tucker Carlson expounds upon the hypocrisy in our media:

Journalists are supposed to be skeptical because the rest of us don't have time to be skeptical. 'We're going to pre-masticate this information for you.' And we've just stopped doing that—we're just vomiting on the public.

If you've ever wondered why people have to be bused long distances to these demonstrations the answer is quite simple and one needs only to look to history for the explanation.

The Greeks believed the world is composed of four elements. Earth, wind, fire and water. This is wrong and every true southerner knows there are five elements. Earth, wind, fire, water and grits. Any true southerner can attest that when you combine the last three elements you have harmony and heaven on earth. Grits, like the confederate flag, is a southern thing and if you aren't from the south you just don''t get it and you probably never will.

Bright Raven":3vp3jlb6 said:

May not be able to do anything about a situation, but to forsake values because it is easier makes one less than a man. That is acquiesce to spiritual slavery.
Truth and honor mean more than what is "easier".

Turkeybird":15jp42ph said:

Not all " black folk " do that... Many whites and Hispanics do it as well. I find it funny how some white people always blame black people for that but seem to turn a blind eye to the whites that do the same.

skyhightree1":13jwrjyu said:
Turkeybird":13jwrjyu said:

Not all " black folk " do that... Many whites and Hispanics do it as well. I find it funny how some white people always blame black people for that but seem to turn a blind eye to the whites that do the same.

In my area, you're going to find more white kids (punks) wearing the hoodies, sporting that "gangsta" look.

True Grit Farms":2a70x9qw said:
Controversy Edit

The KKK has used it as a symbol of hate and suppression since it was founded...of course they were founded by recently decommissioned confederate officers so it only stands to reason they would choose it.

Ryder":35arx80v said:
Bright Raven":35arx80v said:

May not be able to do anything about a situation, but to forsake values because it is easier makes one less than a man. That is acquiesce to spiritual slavery.
Truth and honor mean more than what is "easier".

Help me out Ryder. Did Robert E. Lee forsake his values when he chose to fight for the CSA instead of the USA even though he was against secession as well as slavery (supposedly)?? Did he void that oath he took as an officer in the army of the USA to " support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed"?????? Where was his truth and honor??

skyhightree1":2mgcpebm said:
Turkeybird":2mgcpebm said:

I can't stand it no matter the race. I feel like walking up to them and tell them that's how inmates advertise they are open to a BF.

The fact of the matter is some folks have no appreciation for this country or its heritage or anything else. It has nothing to do with the flag, slaves. It's nothing more than a power and money grab, most of the same folks are pizzing and moaning about the American flag, one nation under... and so on and so forth. Their just trying to cause a stink so they can riot, loot, and abuse our justice system for their benefits. Every time they raise a stink they get more, phones, cable TV, heating oil, housing, food stamps, welfare and the list goes on and on.

Latest posts