Corn Crop failure

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
What do you think will happen to cattle markets if the corn crop fails this year?

Howdyjabo":2sj03n4c said:
What do you think will happen to cattle markets if the corn crop fails this year?

In this county that means more corn silage and low meadow hay. So there is beef cow feed available, but I think calf prices will take a hit.

jedstivers":1ecpbmmk said:
There's a old saying. Never bet against the American Farmer.

I would second that. Corn is also grown over such wide area in the US that there may not be a bumper crop but there will be a crop.

New corn seed genetics and corn methods and equipment also allow the crop to be planted later and in tougher conditions than most feel comfortable with and still get a crop.

The key is fall weather to get it ripe and dried down....

Jim

SRBeef":3iccv44a said:
jedstivers":3iccv44a said:
There's a old saying. Never bet against the American Farmer.

I would second that. Corn is also grown over such wide area in the US that there may not be a bumper crop but there will be a crop.

New corn seed genetics and corn methods and equipment also allow the crop to be planted later and in tougher conditions than most feel comfortable with and still get a crop.

The key is fall weather to get it ripe and dried down....

Jim

Spoken like someone not from Texas at the moment.... :lol:

I expect the southeast to not be any help with the corn crop this year. There is a large increase in the the wheat crop which will end up in soybeans. And cotton prices are so good and much less risk weather wise than corn. Our dryland corn yields are so much lower i suspect only irrigated land and heavy foothills areas would risk corn this year.

Douglas":11j7t4wz said:
I expect the southeast to not be any help with the corn crop this year. There is a large increase in the the wheat crop which will end up in soybeans. And cotton prices are so good and much less risk weather wise than corn. Our dryland corn yields are so much lower i suspect only irrigated land and heavy foothills areas would risk corn this year.
Pretty sure wheat acreage is up down this way as well as corn but even tho we have a lot of corn it's hardly a drop in the bucket when figured as a % of the US crop. Have heard of some farmers that switched from corn to milo due to several years of stress on corn resulting in high aflatoxin levels and discounted corn prices.

Howdyjabo":3afazj1x said:

Worldwide depression & chaos ,if there is a major crop failure. We just got 3 more inches of rain so far this week., & here in the eastern midwest it is like a swamp . Frost is forecast for tonight as well as more rain this weekend. Things need to dry out soon,or it's going to start getting serious.

With $7 corn and $8 wheat farmers have been plowing down alfalfa all over the irrigated west. Under irrigation those crops wont be failing. But what it has done and will do is drive up the price of hay. I see that dairy quality alfalfa is already over $300 in California. It is bumping up over $200 here. That will drive up the lesser quality hay that normally gets fed to beef cows. I am wondering what other crops will be planted on less acres as farmers see more money in growing corn and wheat.

If the corn crop fails around here there are going to be a lot of bankrupt farmers. There is more and more good pasture and hay land being plowed up to plant corn.

I'm kinda thinking
that choice/prime cattle will go thru the roof- real shortage as no one will be buying corn to feed them.
I think there will be alot of calves fed out targeting select grades (higher would be a nice bonus)
I think stockers will go on grass(no supplements) and try and wait it out- feedlots won't be buying them.
I think heavy feeders will go cheaper- to make up for high feed costs for those that will buy them to feed out.
I think heavy feeders may start pushing 950- 1000lbs before feedlot interest in them drops off.

I think chicken and hog companies are going to go bankrupt till there is only one or two left.
I think feedlots(that don't grow the majority of their feed-(I see alot of silage being fed) will be going bankrupt left and right
And I think some ethanol plants won't be able to ride it out- we already had one here file for bankruptcy.

Praying that things dry up and this all turns around.

Stocker Steve":6vwri982 said:
Howdyjabo":6vwri982 said:

In this county that means more corn silage and low meadow hay. So there is beef cow feed available, but I think calf prices will take a hit.

True but most likely much more expensive feed as well.

dun":1rebklxp said:
If the corn crop fails around here there are going to be a lot of bankrupt farmers. There is more and more good pasture and hay land being plowed up to plant corn.

Same here but they are putting in soybeans instead of corn. Hay will be hard to find I'm afraid.
Valerie

vclavin":av6s9e8w said:
dun":av6s9e8w said:

Same here but they are putting in soybeans instead of corn. Hay will be hard to find I'm afraid.
Valerie
May be doing beans here too. It's been too wet for anyone to do much other then the plowing and discing then the rains started again. Hay will still be easy to find around here but it will be crap. Just like ours that I can;t put up because of the weather. Everyone elses will be way past time by the time it drys out enough to do anything.

dun":3m45wsn5 said:
How do you figure they will be bankrupt? What would cause that?

manitgotcoldhere2":3k0613tb said:
dun":3k0613tb said:
How do you figure they will be bankrupt? What would cause that?
Using land that's barely suitable for grass, cost of fertilizer, seed and fuel, trying to find someone that will harvest it. That all takes bucks and if the crop fails that's all money down the drain. If they borrowed the money to do it they will be peckered

Latest posts