Compound break

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck setting a compound leg break for a calf? I've tried twice and haven't had any luck. Both times the leg lost blood flow and I ended up putting them down after 2-3 weeks. I spoke to a vet and he didn't recommend bothering to set the leg with a compound. He said it's most humane to put them down. I have a 3 day old calf that must have gotten stepped on, and I could see a puncture on the side of its leg where the bone must have popped through. It was late and I didn't have my gun so I let it be for tonight. I'll decide tonight whether to try to set it or put it down in the morning.

If the calf can stand to nurse and you can keep the wound from getting infected, there's a good chance it will heal on its own. I have had broken legs heal completely in a few months time. Just be sure to monitor the wound. They are very resilient.

If you decided to give it a go I would suggest not trying to set it just let it hang, maybe something adhesive over the wound at the most. Any attempt to splint or bandage may compromise an already marginal blood supply.

Ken

We had one we tried setting a few years back. Took the cast off 4 weeks later and it was a nasty mess. Wife wouldn't let me shoot it as the vet was due here next day to test bulls.
Vet advised to give LA and leave alone. A 400 lb calf went on the truck that fall and you had to really look to see the difference. The hole through the skin in this case was smaller than a dime. I would suggest something to keep the flies away too.

Latest posts