Commercial cow bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogtiming

Reaction score
I have 200 commercial black cows I'm wanting to ai in January. I want to use two bulls. I'd like to breed 50 cows to a bull to keep heifers out of and the other 150 I want to use a bull to put pounds on with good carcass values for the calves.. I sell calves at 900 pounds Advice on bulls is what I would like. Thanks

Would you consider a Limousin bull? I think you'd love the cross it would put some great azz on your calves. If so I'll find you a bull. Red or Black.

Prefer to keep it Angus if possible. Main reason being my black cows have other breed influences have some with limo and Simi both.

For keeping replacement heifers, I would recommend Hoover Dam. For the other calves, PA Power Tool may work well, he has good carcass EPD's. I have just weaned some commercial calves by him from Hereford and BWF cows, and so far they have done well.

Hogtiming, what part of the country are you located? In my part of the world, some Brahman influence would be desired in the replacement females. This could be achieved by using Santa Gertrudis, Brangus or Beefmaster and still produce an acceptable steer calf.

If I were the one picking Angus AI sires for this scenario, the one making the daughters to be retained would be B/R Destination 727-928, and i guess I'd either pick Sydgen Exceed or Rito 9Q13 as my 'carcass' bull. Both at ABS.

I use WMR Timeless (16226527) to do both things. All my recipes are Timeless daughters, he has the maternal to make momma cows and the growth to make stout steers so a win win around here for me and just have to use 1 bull to do both things you want.

Southern Kentucky. Thanks for the input. More bulls for me to decide from. I was leaninG toward var generation for carcass bull and hoover dam for females.

While you are looking at those ABS bulls, you might review their Angus Sire Alliance program. Bulls like Bruiser, Impression and Substantial could make great replacements as they are moderate milk with good CEM. Future Force and Reserve increase carcass weight along with marbling and ribeye. Both carcass and ultrasound progeny to back it up.

Carcass type would be a pick of max growth and max carcass EPDs with great accuracy in spite of prefix, source or who has him. Do the sire search on AAA, plug in high terminal type numbers and there you are with a short list. Find the semen on one and breed terminally. They will not be around for the 2nd birthday anyway but talking points of sire's EPDs will help market them.

Will leave maternal bull discussion alone as it has the most significance and I have no idea what you think is ideal, management, feed, ...

Hogtiming,

Since you live in KY, I suspect that you have plenty of fescue. Some bulls' proegeny work well on fescue and others don't. Hoover Dams, Extra K205, and Connealy Thunder are three bulls that sire progeny that seem to handle the fescue well. These three bulls also produce very functional daughters. So, Hoover Dam is a good choice for making replacements.

CC&7 - Consensus 7229 and Hoover Dam are all popular choices for replacement females.

For your goal of selling at 900 lbs I'd suggest Plattemere Weigh Up at Select Sires
average sized calves at birth .90 accuracy with high performance yearling weights including .40 radg $F and $B
You might even end up with a couple of good replacement females from him.

Latest posts