Club calfs

Help Support CattleToday:

I showed steers a kid. Enjoyed it. Outside looking in, it's gotten overblown. Spending money on it, that will never return. You a kid or an adult?

I told my kids I'd never breed for the show ring but they were welcome to use my replacement heifers to show and they've done okay with them. I have bred quite a few cows to show genetics for customers over the years that have made quite a bit of money with them. It's not for me but it can be very profitable.

My advice would be to try and stick with something fairly mainstream so that if/when you transition into having your own herd you have a foundation that's functional as a cow herd and not just show ring stuff.

I completely agree with Cow Pollinater.
Also, if you are showing heifers, be sure to do some research and get advice from experienced folks on feed rations. I know we burned a couple up feeding them too hot of rations many years ago when I was just getting started. Nutrition and dedication are key.

I have a pretty good business, and celebrated my 34th anniversary yesterday. And, by most standards I'm fairly well educated, but here's the honest truth about any success I've had...90% of what I do every day, I learned in 4-H and FFA showing steers and breeding stock, so learn your craft well. And when you're done carrying your torch, don't forget to give support back to other up and comers like yourself.

Make sure pay attention to the club calf's status for PHA and TH if you decide to go down this route.

Latest posts