Cattle Gap

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Eight years ago I had a welder make a cattle gap for my driveway, It was never set in place. It has been laying in the pasture and used for a manuer drag.
When I had it made and was prepareing to install it the Farrier came to trim our two horses. I don't really like him as he is a big GOSSIP. If he is bad mouthing my neighbors then he is probly bad mouthing me aswell. He is just not the caliber of human being I choose to be my friend. My wife and Daughter agrees with me but says she can't find a good Farrier.
When he saw my Cattle Gap he told my wife that It was built wrong and the Cattle would step through It. Rather than have a long winded discussion with the wife I just abandoned the project till now but I need some information from cattlemen and women and you folks have never let me down. I am going to install the Cattle Gap and if the azz hole says one word about It I'll fire him and run his sorry azz off my land.
Question
How much space should be between the top pipe that is driven over with vehicles?
Thank you, Kerley

I'll have to measure mine but 4"-5" sounds about right. You could not drag my cows across the cattle guards. I have a couple of guards on my place and it sure makes not having to open and close gates great.

Now my stupid horse are another story.....Since I got horses a few years ago, I have gone back to using gates. The horses look for a way to hurt them self when they step into the guards. Dog-gone-it.

Now my stupid horse are another story.....Since I got horses a few years ago said:
I've always heard that horses are just looking for a place to die. :D :lol: :lol:

WORANCH":142n8rjc said:
I've always heard that horses are just looking for a place to die. :D :lol: :lol:

and we would all be a lot better off if about 80% of the grass eatin pasture ornaments did drop dead tomorrow!

I get ill when I think about how much good pasture gets eaten in this country every day by those nags. Don't get me wrong I am not talking about horses that earn their keep. I am talking about horses that do nothing but eat and poop every day for 15 to 20 years. We ship a cow if she is open one time but we pour good grass into a horse that does nothing to earn it.

Sorry, I know this will pyss off a lot of folks but it's true!

3waycross":3jjm9134 said:
WORANCH":3jjm9134 said:

and we would all be a lot better off if about 80% of the grass eatin pasture ornaments did drop dead tomorrow!

I get ill when I think about how much good pasture gets eaten in this country every day by those nags. Don't get me wrong I am not talking about horses that earn their keep. I am talking about horses that do nothing but eat and poop every day for 15 to 20 years. We ship a cow if she is open one time but we pour good grass into a horse that does nothing to earn it.

Sorry, I know this will pyss off a lot of folks but it's true!
I agree with you on this one. My problem with the two horses we own is one is fourty one years old, he belongs to my wife and has been retired for nine years, and she loves him. My other horse is a Quarter horse mare, she is twenty six years and my Daughter raised/trained her. When Kelly no longer had a use for her I bought her from Kelly for $1600. Kelly still grooms her but neither of us ride her as Kelly is too busy and I am too feble with RA. We are attached to both horses and they are well cared for.

Kerley
At least they earned their keep. How may 3 to 8 yr olds do you suppose are grazing in pastures across America that will never do a days work in their lives!

Cattle guards are more about visual effect than a physical barrier. I've seen two to five inch gaps and they all seem to work fine. I've even seen white lines painted across the roadway that worked fine.
As far as horses... three quarters of them need to be dog food to help feed the 99% of dogs that don't earn their keep.

cow pollinater said:
Cattle guards are more about visual effect than a physical barrier. I've seen two to five inch gaps and they all seem to work fine. I've even seen white lines painted across the roadway that worked fine.
As far as horses... three quarters of them need to be dog food to help feed the 99% of dogs that don't earn their keep.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth. My dogs have always earned their keep either for hunting or protection.

Believe it or not the one I miss the most is my wife's last Pom. That little shyt never let anyone sneak up on us.

It doesn't matter. The more gap the rougher to drive across. If the cattle want across they will get across. I have seen every thing from jumping them... to walking them... both in between and on top the pipes. I saw a calf walk a cattle guard with the swing gate closed. He just ducked. Had balance like a cat.... hit the top of every pipe... never slipped.

cattle guards are a goodthing,they keep you from having to open an close gates.but know this cows learn how to jump them an walk them to get out.an i know this as fact.my uncle had a cattle guard an he had a cow or 2 thyat could get out using it.an they could get back in as well.

Not to mention the fact that the current resident of the White House believes that they are essential to national security :shock:

3waycross":31m3rdie said:
Not to mention the fact that the current resident of the White House believes that they are essential to national security :shock:

I knew this was coming. He will throw billions so the families of the Cattle Guards will be happy. :D :D

Latest posts