Calves grazing corn in Feb (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I should use my real camera but just had my phone and snapped a picture of some of my calves that were grazing the strip of standing corn near to the house. I am embarrassed by this drought corn anyway so just as well its a poor picture. Folks have said they like seeing pictures of my somewhat different way of "finishing" calves.

Corn didn't get very tall with my late planting and very dry hot conditions last summer. But this is a time of year when I really need the grazing. The corn has been giving them some energy as nights have been near below zero F for the past week or so. Having a heat wave today - current temperature is 12 deg F. Feels warmer now that the wind has died down a bit. Snow flurries also made the picture a bit fuzzy.

Supposed to get above freezing for highs this coming week. If the snow melts over my scale platform in the corral I'll try to get a weight on the calves to see how they're doing as far as gain. Looking at them I think they look like they are gaining pretty well, especially given the cold weather. fwiw here's a poor phone picture.

IMG_0134P_Somecalvesgrazingcorn020313_1_1_zpsa6b4874b.jpg

One of the things I do like to see is them eating the whole ear cob and all. I want the roughage. In past years with larger ears (length and girth) I have seen some shell the corn off of the cob in their mouth and spit out the cob. For this grazing I like a hybrid with smaller ears. Ear size was definitely not a problem this year. ;)

I am pushing them to eat more of the smaller stalks when the finish the ears in the area open to them this year and it is helping stretch my hay supply. As I have posted in the past, you can NOT just turn calves into a large corngield. The area open to them needs to be limited. I drive down a path with a 4 wheeler then put up a cross wire advancing the wire only when they get down to the mid stalks.

Still a foot of snow in the pasture in the foreground.

Jim

They look good for this time of year. We had that wind here too , gonna get another shot of it today but not as bad as thursday and friday . Lookin forward to an early spring. :D

Very neat Jim! We have a few Hereford cows too. When we put them out on the fields in the fall to clean up any dropped corn from chopping I noticed one thing with the Herefords vs the others. They shelled the corn with their mouth and spit the cob out.? It was the funniest thing to watch- they were really good at it too. It seemed the other cows ate the whole cob. However, someone must of ate the empty cobs too, cause there are never any left in the spring.?
Jenna

I looked at some old grazing corn articles after the big drop in grain prices. The authors were quite confident that stockers will eat either green corn or mature corn ;-) , but the ADG and economics were all over the map. It looks like you need to be generous with the paddock allocation to keep ADG high, and you had to consider no till and be careful about the input costs to make it work financially.

Have you seen corn successfully no tilled into sod, and how did corn germination and production compare to warm season forages like Sorghum Sudan ?

Latest posts