Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Didn't see anything like that yesterday.

Appears I lost money on weaning with the shrink and also banding bull calves. I think I'm going to toss bawling calves in next sale.
I've tried having them well weaned, etc.. Only once.. Take them off the cow and ship them, between the stress of weaning, shipping, and risk I certainly didn't get paid for that.. This was in the fall and keeping them til spring looks far more profitable.. Made $800-1k USD each on the steers calves I kept over last fall and sold last week.. margins ain't always that good but it sure paid this time

You don't think there's plenty of room between $3 bucks a pound at the producer and $20 at the retailer to make everyone a decent profit?
The $20 lb is only a few cuts on choice or higher, the majority is $5/lb at the retailer. Not much room there….and I sure wouldn't be paying $20/lb for everyday beef.

Talked to a guy today who sold a number of this year's calves weighing between 500 & 600 pounds…said he got as much as $1100 for them…kill cows are going for over $1.00/lb…some are saying the prices might go even higher…good time to sell in East Texas if the drought is hurting you…

Talked to a guy today who sold a number of this year's calves weighing between 500 & 600 pounds…said he got as much as $1100 for them…kill cows are going for over $1.00/lb…some are saying the prices might go even higher…good time to sell in East Texas if the drought is hurting you…
500 lb steers here are 2.50 so 1250.
600 lb about the same or higher so 1500.
Lots of cows at 1.20 with a few over 1.30. Very few cows returning to the farm. Good cows if big are all going to slaughter.

500 lb steers here are 2.50 so 1250.
600 lb about the same or higher so 1500.
Lots of cows at 1.20 with a few over 1.30. Very few cows returning to the farm. Good cows if big are all going to slaughter.
Prices seem about the same here.
Buddy just bought three, 3yr old 3 and 4 month bred cows.
The one I remember weighed over 1300lbs (he usually don't buy em that big) and he gave 1600 for her.
The other 2 are about his weight range. (1100 to 1200lbs)
He had $1471 average per head.

5 and 6 weight steers are 1500 pretty easy

edited to add...
Watched some 1100lb plus open belties ring the bell today too. Not miniatures.
Well over a buck a lb!!

Last edited:

Latest posts