Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is the latest report from the sale barn we generally use...if anyone is interested:

From yesterday's sale
Maybe I need to come to Texas to get my replacements. Broken mouth cows are selling for about $1300 here, and if you want a 3 or 4 year old you are looking at about $2000.

Cow sale last Tuesday night... Pairs were 3,000 and bred heifers were 1600-2400... across the board. There were 10 reg bulls that were 2500-5000 so decent but the cows were way too high. About 15 pairs and about 50-75 bred heifers.

Maybe I need to come to Texas to get my replacements. Broken mouth cows are selling for about $1300 here, and if you want a 3 or 4 year old you are looking at about $2000.
Don't know how well cows from down here might do up there in the winter...some wuld probably do fine while others may not...we don't have Wyoming winters down here so I guess it would be a kind of a crap shoot...

Don't know how well cows from down here might do up there in the winter...some wuld probably do fine while others may not...we don't have Wyoming winters down here so I guess it would be a kind of a crap shoot...
If they had time to acclimate to the climate they would probably do fine, but I would not want to bring them her in the middle of December or January. Besides that would be a long ways to haul them.

Besides I don't like those long drives. It took me 15 hours to drive to Iola Kansas for my sons graduation in 2018.

Cows and pairs arent nearly that high here. At a sale last week i had the high selling pair at 1850. A 4 year old Brangus with a heifer calf. Over 6 year old most were going to slaughter.

Cows and pairs arent nearly that high here. At a sale last week i had the high selling pair at 1850. A 4 year old Brangus with a heifer calf. Over 6 year old most were going to slaughter.
The owner of Volunteer Stockyards told me the week before last that he thought slaughter cows would go way up in December.

Bred heifers are always a bargain here compared to Jan's area. They would bring more if they were open. Several nice 800 lb ones today for $1000. There is just not much demand.

Long bred one and done's are about a dime over packer prices.

Bred heifers are always a bargain here compared to Jan's area. They would bring more if they were open. Several nice 800 lb ones today for $1000. There is just not much demand.

If they are that much over slaughter prices there must be some demand being generated. Usually they are only one bid over.

@kenny thomas Did you ship the bunch of cattle you said you were going to?
How are you feeling? Any new results from the tests on the heart and stuff???

@kenny thomas Did you ship the bunch of cattle you said you were going to?
How are you feeling? Any new results from the tests on the heart and stuff???
I sold 23 cows and 7 calves last week. Heart test was pretty good.
Lung capacity test yesterday showed 53%.
Start knee (rooster comb) shots next Monday for 3 weeks . Cant walk and cant breathe. Gonna sell.more after Jan 1st so it will be on next year taxes

I hope the knee shots work for you. The didn't for me but most people I know that get them have real good response. My one friend had total relief for nearly 18 months which is about 6-8 months longer than they said... I had better luck with the PRP and prolotherapy and then the bone marrow transplant in my left knee... bought me a couple more years. The right knee was just too far damaged. The replacements have been overall very good. Some things not so good... have to watch my balance a little as there is no innate sense of catching yourself if you trip... having to make sure I pick up my feet on uneven ground... and not being able to kneel on them... but there is NO PAIN walking or standing or anything and I couldn't stand for 10 minutes without really hurting...

I hope the knee shots work for you. The didn't for me but most people I know that get them have real good response. My one friend had total relief for nearly 18 months which is about 6-8 months longer than they said... I had better luck with the PRP and prolotherapy and then the bone marrow transplant in my left knee... bought me a couple more years. The right knee was just too far damaged. The replacements have been overall very good. Some things not so good... have to watch my balance a little as there is no innate sense of catching yourself if you trip... having to make sure I pick up my feet on uneven ground... and not being able to kneel on them... but there is NO PAIN walking or standing or anything and I couldn't stand for 10 minutes without really hurting...
Im pretty much just prolonging the replacement now. But cant do it this winter.

My wife had some trouble relearning to cross/go through barb wire fences. She had to learn how to lift her leg behind her again.

I have been getting them for one bid over the kill buyers. Although last week I was at a stock cow special. The boys came with orders in their pockets. Saw a ring load of smooth mouth cows bred 6 & 7 months bring $1,675. They would have killed for about $1,000. The week before at a regular sale a friend bought 8 very similar cows for $950.

I am going to take some bred cows to a bred cow special on December 1st. We will see what I get. I'm taking mostly broken mouth Black Angus.

Latest posts