Calf color

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Never dealt with Charolais cross before. I've found some char x red angus heifers to potentially add to my group of heifers to develop. If bred to homo black simmental or angus what percent of calves would be solid black and what would be diluted?

Bringing up another point. Who ever asks if the Angus bulls you look at are homo black? I ask that at an Angus sale a few years ago and almost caused a fuss. The owner had to admit a red was possible.

Never dealt with Charolais cross before. I've found some char x red angus heifers to potentially add to my group of heifers to develop. If bred to homo black simmental or angus what percent of calves would be solid black and what would be diluted?
Half in my experience as I run an Angus bull on crossbred Char cows.
E322C54D-029E-4584-A785-50DCB453960B.jpeg

In my experience less than half will be black the first generation, and the second generation will be nearly all black, if you still breed them black. On paper it figures 50/50, but when you mix so many different colors and dilutions, you best just throw the book out the window.

click to see picture
Born this morning - Monday, March 14th. Some of you may have seen pics of this cow before. This is the second diluted calf with the black diluted to gray. Calves were black the last few years. This bull calf was sired by a Red Angus bull. I posted a pic of the sire some time ago. The cow is out of a Black Angus bull and is polled. I still have her because she earns her keep. She is not much to look at, but she:
-breeds every year and has a calf
-has plenty of milk
-stays with the calf and cares for it (she don't run the other way)
-is safe to be around and work with (will not try to kill you)
-has never had hoof work

Would a red carrier, non homo black angus bull do that as well?
All kinds of possibilities. As I said I am making a SWAG about the breeding on this calf. The cow has the characteristics of a Char/Angus cross. The only thing I am sure of regarding the bull is that it was a bull. The Red Angus statement is just based on the area of the country this cow came from.

Those cows have a set of Char chromosones and a set of red angus chromosones. Their eggs will have only 1 set of chromosones, either RA or Char. So, some of their calves would be black, and some will be smoky.

This was my past experience with a "homozygous" black Simmental bull..breed to red simbrah and Braford..the calves were 100%black with the occasional white spots.. the same when breed to brangus..but when bred to Angus I'd get greys and a some rat tails..plus a few reds..

Be careful if you want solid colored cattle. Some of the char. crosses bred back to angus (black or red) will have a white strip down the back and tail (like a Pinzgauer). With the simmi bull you might get some cool grey baldies. I love those.

Latest posts