Buying bred X cows

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Hello
Any if y'all buy bred X cows at kill prices.
Are they normally 1 and done cows or could if I could get a few calves out of them before I'd need to ship them back off I'm wondering if they Would be worth buying or if I should stick to buying young bred cows and cow calf pairs like I have been. I know I've seen some good body condition 5-6 month bred X cows selling at kill prices averaging ($500-$600)

Depends on the cow.... some you can keep longer...others "one and done" is one to many. Pretty much the reason they are going for 5-600. You just really don't know.

DCA farm":pnhkepap said:
Hello
Are they normally 1 and done cows or could if I could get a few calves out of them before I'd need to ship them back off I'm wondering if they Would be worth buying or if I should stick to buying young bred cows and cow calf pairs like I have been. I know I've seen some good body condition 5-6 month bred X cows selling at kill prices averaging ($500-$600)

I have bought opportunity girls for years. I like SS heavies.

With weighted calf prices here I know small amount of money could be made calfinv out then selling both in a few months I guess the only way to really know if I could get more than 1 before I'd have to ship them back off will be to bring em home and see.

Im buying some thin cows just because the slaughter price is so cheap. Add weight and hopefully 10 cents a lb by New Years will still make good profit. A calf would just be a bonus.

so what is and X cow ?
The sales around here it is 8 yrs., SS = short solid, O = old, BK = broken mouth
A lot of these other than O you can get more than a one and done, but like anything not always.

Watched a lot of nice looking 1000-1150 pound x brangus/angus type cows go for $0.52-0.53 a pound said they were all bred to angus bulls but I watched 2 year old angus cow calf pairs with heifer calfs sell for $1100 in same sale

DCA farm":3sp80143 said:
Watched a lot of nice looking 1000-1150 pound x brangus/angus type cows go for $0.52-0.53 a pound said they were all bred to angus bulls but I watched 2 year old angus cow calf pairs with heifer calfs sell for $1100 in same sale

There is money to be made with these girls. I am currently helping the widow of my neighbor and this is the route she is taking . Buy some in the spring calve them out and haul in the fall. This keeps her Ag exemptions and removes the hay burden. You need good pens till their homesteaded. Neighbor and I said we will haul for her so no equipment needed either.
This is what really chaps me if she doesn't keep her place in Ag she can't afford the taxes to live in her home. An elderly widow woman shouldn't be faced with that burden. Just wrong in my book.

CB why don't you lease it from her or at least write a lease. I did that with an elderly couple that was having some issues with the tax man. They had no animals but let me graze their place. Problem was they didn't have much grass so the cows were not over there but just a week or so every three months. The tax man would never see them but the signed lease shut him up.

bird dog":2t8jlqp5 said:
CB why don't you lease it from her or at least write a lease. I did that with an elderly couple that was having some issues with the tax man. They had no animals but let me graze their place. Problem was they didn't have much grass so the cows were not over there but just a week or so every three months. The tax man would never see them but the signed lease shut him up.

That's an excellent idea.
We will have to sit on the porch and chew on that one.
If we can get her son that lives off to mow it once a year, my few cows couldn't keep up with it.

Caustic Burno":7iabzaza said:
bird dog":7iabzaza said:

If we can get her son that lives off to mow it once a year, my few cows couldn't keep up with it.

Maybe you make that the terms of the lease. You mow in exchange for running the few cows on her place or you put x amount and she puts x amount. Yours run on her place in exchange for you taking care of hers. Flipping auction barn cattle does not seem like a good game for a widow to be playing.

Brute 23":1z5u65wb said:
Caustic Burno":1z5u65wb said:
bird dog":1z5u65wb said:

Maybe you make that the terms of the lease. You mow in exchange for running the few cows on her place or you put x amount and she puts x amount. Yours run on her place in exchange for you taking care of hers. Flipping auction barn cattle does not seem like a good game for a widow to be playing.

I don't want more cows or land my acres is all I can handle.

Caustic Burno":20s37ow9 said:
bird dog":20s37ow9 said:

We've done this a time or two in the past. Worked well for everyone.

Around here if there is any doubt on an older cow the buyers I know who buy the older cows just run them through the chute and either mouth them theirselves or have the vet too. If they have enough teeth they keep them and if not they run them back through the sale and usually get close to what they gave. Of if close enough they will sell them and take them right back to town. But I've seen a buyer get 2-3 more calves depending on how they take care of them.

bird dog":o88t04cp said:
I do this with my cousin that lives 8 hours away. We are next to each other so that makes it easier. I put a gate between us and I do graze her side. The lease is all she needs for the tax part and we have never been checked. Its a win win for both. I keep the fences up,watch the property and have a free pasture.

DCA farm":20vry4zu said:
Hello
Are they normally 1 and done cows or could if I could get a few calves out of them before I'd need to ship them back off I'm wondering if they Would be worth buying or if I should stick to buying young bred cows and cow calf pairs like I have been.

Usually not. Too many optimistic hobby ranchers around here.
About 50% are one and done.
You need to run your numbers. The biggest issue is often the difference between the selling and the buying prices.

Stocker Steve":73sc6c98 said:
DCA farm":73sc6c98 said:
Hello
Are they normally 1 and done cows or could if I could get a few calves out of them before I'd need to ship them back off I'm wondering if they Would be worth buying or if I should stick to buying young bred cows and cow calf pairs like I have been.

Usually not. Too many optimistic hobby ranchers around here.
About 50% are one and done.
You need to run your numbers. The biggest issue is often the difference between the selling and the buying prices.

This important axiom can never be stated enough.

Caustic Burno":wkkpcog4 said:
bird dog":wkkpcog4 said:

I've had a lease like that..........and a very simple worded one since the property was already under ag. All the appraisal district ever did was look for cow trails or a few cow piles and fences that would hold a cow...they may have spent 10 minutes looking at it and never got out of their vehicle.

Latest posts