Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

For the breeders who sell bulls ,what's your protocol for bulls that are sold but don't pass vet exam?
Most sellers are going to have the tests done when they list them for sale. And most buyers will not pay for a bull unless it has passed BSE, Trich, etc., tests.

What is the youngest age a bull calf/yearling can be expected to bass the BSE ? 12-14 months ? I realize 8-10 months is pretty young, even though I have used angus that young successfully, with a small number of cows.

What is the youngest age a bull calf/yearling can be expected to bass the BSE ? 12-14 months ? I realize 8-10 months is pretty young, even though I have used angus that young successfully, with a small number of cows.
So many variables my friend. If ya need em bred timely, they won't. If ya don't want em bred, they will!

I know one thing for certain! I'll never turn a bull out for breeding without having a BSE done ever ever ever again. I didn't do it, my buddy did. He didn't have ANY cows bred and sold all of em.

I know it can be a pain in the butt to load him up and haul him to the vet, but the alternative is most certainly worse!

Here bulls who don't pass go to the sale. They go with a message that they didn't pass. The bulls will have to brand of those who raised them. Brands are pretty easy to look up the owner. Bull raisers don't want a bad bull passed off to someone as anything but bad. Those bulls over 1,200 pounds go to slaughter. Under that they get banded and put on feed.

I know you are 100% right Murray... The cost of the BSE in this area would cost $350 -$550. So I rolled the dice.
I guess I will know in 6-8 weeks. 😟
That's insane!!

Is there a sale barn nearby? No way they could charge that at the sale. That just boggles my mind.

My vet is up to 75 bucks now. The last mistake I bought I had tested. He never set foot on my place. Straight back to the sale

Somebody is getting shafted... and it ain't the cows. That's crazy high.

That's prices I would only expect from a small animal vet.
I get the impression that's what most of the newcomer vets prefer. If they charge exuberant fees they won't have
to work large animals.

That's insane!!

Is there a sale barn nearby? No way they could charge that at the sale. That just boggles my mind.

My vet is up to 75 bucks now. The last mistake I bought I had tested. He never set foot on my place. Straight back to the sale
I will check and find out. The closest sale barn is 135 miles, 270 miles round trip, pickup gets 10 miles to the gallon :unsure:
My cows may shift to summer calving. Worst case scenario I may have to find something else to entertain myself.

I will check and find out. The closest sale barn is 135 miles, 270 miles round trip, pickup gets 10 miles to the gallon :unsure:
My cows may shift to summer calving. Worst case scenario I may have to find something else to entertain myself.
Thing sure are different there. 😔
Oklahoma and Texas are cattle country.

Your bull looks better than mine in pictures. I hope he does good for ya!

I weighed mine on the way home with him. He lost about 30 lbs sitting at the sale even tho he hay nice hay and water. He was sure eager when I dropped him off tho! I honestly hope no one cycles for 2 weeks. I'm 2 weeks early on turn out.

Thing sure are different there. 😔
Oklahoma and Texas are cattle country.

Your bull looks better than mine in pictures. I hope he does good for ya!

I weighed mine on the way home with him. He lost about 30 lbs sitting at the sale even tho he hay nice hay and water. He was sure eager when I dropped him off tho! I honestly hope no one cycles for 2 weeks. I'm 2 weeks early on turn out.
Pictures can be deceiving. We will just have to compare them again later on.
I'm not to sure about the back legs on the bull I got. If you look to close you might blow milk out the other side of you nose.:)

This area used to have a lot more dairies, beef cattle and sheep. The fishing and logging has diminished noticeably
from what it used to be. There were quite a few of the mills sold and literally dismantled.

Latest posts