bulls are scarce

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i was going to load my old reg beefmaster bull last week an sell him.but i talked to the guy that was gonna haul him.an he talked me into keeping him till i could find a bull,or sell my bull when the price starts backing down.so ive been on the ph hunting a bull an cant find any.every1 is sold out of bulls.they are going to have 4 2yr old bulls at the beefmaster sale in less than 2wks.so ill see if i can find a bull an get him with in reason.

bigbull338":21jkkahy said:
i was going to load my old reg beefmaster bull last week an sell him.but i talked to the guy that was gonna haul him.an he talked me into keeping him till i could find a bull,or sell my bull when the price starts backing down.so ive been on the ph hunting a bull an cant find any.every1 is sold out of bulls.they are going to have 4 2yr old bulls at the beefmaster sale in less than 2wks.so ill see if i can find a bull an get him with in reason.
you wait like that,, and you'll be adding more money toward the purchace of a new bull,, if i were a seedstock producer i wouldnt be waiting to the last minute to find one..

well you and i think alike in that respect.i know the bull will prolly cost me $2000 to $2500 now maybe more.an im ok with that price,but i dont know if i can get 1 with the breeding i want for that money.family is gripping weve never gave $2500 for a bull.so since ive got time an trying to get most if not all the cows bred by aug im fine.i know of a sale that has 30 bulls in it will prolly get a sale catalog to it as well.

bigbull338":2zd28thc said:
well you and i think alike in that respect.i know the bull will prolly cost me $2000 to $2500 now maybe more.an im ok with that price,but i dont know if i can get 1 with the breeding i want for that money.family is gripping weve never gave $2500 for a bull.so since ive got time an trying to get most if not all the cows bred by aug im fine.i know of a sale that has 30 bulls in it will prolly get a sale catalog to it as well.
if you can find one for that.. ive heard of ton kill bulls bringing 2 grand

ALACOWMAN":2lb7yt8p said:
bigbull338":2lb7yt8p said:
if you can find one for that.. ive heard of ton kill bulls bringing 2 grand

Many kill bulls are bringing 2 K or more up here. The sales are averaging $3,500 or higher, regardless of breed.

bigbull338":cthni4z0 said:

Bigbull, no offense but times have changed! You can get a bull, you can get a cheap bull, but if you want something specific as far as bloodlines you need to be willing to pay for it. The days of great, cheap bulls are gone.

You should be able to make at least 2/3's the cost of the replacement on your kill bull. When you bought him for $2500 were kills bulls bring $2000 or more. I doubt it.
If you want something special sell the old bull and put 1000 to 1500 with it and get what you want!

3waycross":2zdqhk34 said:
bigbull338":2zdqhk34 said:

Bigbull, no offense but times have changed! You can get a bull, you can get a cheap bull, but if you want something specific as far as bloodlines you need to be willing to pay for it. The days of great, cheap bulls are gone.

You should be able to make at least 2/3's the cost of the replacement on your kill bull. When you bought him for $2500 were kills bulls bring $2000 or more. I doubt it.
If you want something special sell the old bull and put 1000 to 1500 with it and get what you want!

:nod:

i know heavy weigh bulls are bringing over 2 grand.an i dont mind paying for the bloodlines i want.the q is to find a bull that has what i want in a bull.the bull im selling is a home raised bull.

bigbull338":1w8r1aya said:
i know heavy weigh bulls are bringing over 2 grand.an i dont mind paying for the bloodlines i want.the q is to find a bull that has what i want in a bull.the bull im selling is a home raised bull.

Good for you. That puts you way ahead of the game. What do you figure he weighs?

well i figure he weighs 1600lbs an im hoping he weighs more.the cows are grazing thick lush pasture right now.im hoping he will bring over $1 a lb.

no offence BB but your operating like a commercial producer.. a seedstock man is in continual search of the right bull to better himself..or AI ive never been lucky with last minute decisions

ALACOWMAN":3vi15fy1 said:
no offence BB but your operating like a commercial producer.. a seedstock man is in continual search of the right bull to better himself..or AI ive never been lucky with last minute decisions
no offense taken,since im going to hold the bull till prices slipp or july or aug.im stil l buying myself 3 months to find the right herd bull.because all the herd should be bred back.if i was comm breeder id prolly buy my bulls out of the sale barn but im not.i missed a well bred bull a month ago for much less than $2500.an thats my falt as i didnt think i could bring in a bull before i sold my bull.

I was thinking I would use the Bull I have for one more run on the fall calving cows. With that said I haven't priced any but was figuring a half decent Bull for my comm. cows would be in the 3500 to 4000 range.

fitz

well he is no cull or sickly bull i assure you.he was raised on the place on grass hay an very lil feed.the bull he replaced went to the sale weighing 1500lbs.im not good at guessing my cattles weight as i see them everyday.so i lowball guess his weight.he will prolly go 1800lbs or more.i have a big old cow that i guess her weight at 1500lbs as well.an if im wrong she prolly weighs more than that.if he was 2000lbs he wouldve been gone sooner.

I have a Beefmaster bull that will be 2 late September I won't need him past July. I just picked him up a week ago, The Reg. BBU Breeder did have 3 or 4 other young bulls his age and 1 a year older Sugar Shack Bloodline. I went with the Cavalier son. He and I are 1.5 hours from Baton Rouge, LA. If interested contact me for info.

bigbull338":np782qhq said:

Here's a suggestion that most will find radical. If you are needing to spend less on a bull than most, trying buying one at weaning age from a breeder, take him home and develop him yourself. What may be priced at $3,000 for a yearling might be bought for $2,000 at weaning. The calf's DNA isn't going to change from weaning time to yearling time and you get the opportunity to develop him yourself for less than $1,000 ($3,000 at yearling minus $2,000 at weaning.) We breed Red Angus and make this option available. Perhaps you can find a Beefmaster breeder that will do the same.

Latest posts