Bull too judge

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":3gyflong said:
this bull is a disgrace, both condition-wise, and genetically and phenotypically.

Doc,
you cant see his genetics and nobody has mentioned breeding. yes, his phenotype is an expression of his genes but is not always very indicative of his potential (especially in extreme environments). He might have better genetics than most of the animals you see in the Angus Journal and i bet his pedigree looks just as good as most of them.

Cracker,
speaking of breeding, if he has a reg# what is it? if not, what do you know?

When things look this bad is when you should have started selling cows 2 months ago.

You can't see much of the cows, but what you can doesn't show the hips sticking out as on your bull. I would say you need to add at least one more mature bull to your pastures. If your cows look like that I have no idea how you could get them bred, or make any money

Surely you posted the first bull as a joke.That broders cruetly. Everyone before has said all that I could say.
If you are over stocked sale,sale sale and take that money and invest in improving what you kept.Looking at a bull like that isn't funny at all to me.

Before breeding season 2 or 3 months back we had a Vet look at the Bull and his only concern was the loss of weight during the Winter. He suggested to wait until we get some good grass and see if he puts on weight . We are going through a drought but the Bull did look a lot better last Fall.

If the vet said that was the only problem I would look for another.

Central Fl Cracker":1ft6y3yi said:
Before breeding season 2 or 3 months back we had a Vet look at the Bull and his only concern was the loss of weight during the Winter. He suggested to wait until we get some good grass and see if he puts on weight . We are going through a drought but the Bull did look a lot better last Fall.
C FL Crackeer-

I get the feeling that you are not believing the words that most of us are saying! Your Vet was referencing the physiological status of the bull - NOT his Genetic or Phenotypic merits. Take what we are all saying to you to heart: THE BULL IS NOT A GOOD choice for improving your herd, or even keeping it medicore...Educate yourself on what GOOD, acceptible genetics are, and then procede to discover a bull that will make you money instead of losing you money - WHATEVER the other excuses you may come up with are. Don't be BARN BLIND.

DOC HARRIS

Well I feel pretty stupid not knowing a good Bull from a bad one. As most of you are aware I just got started in the cattle biz and I guess one of my Bull purchases was not good at all. He did throw off some decent calves this year and I had no calving problems. I quess this is how you learn and after the summer hopefully he will gain some weight and I will sell him off as hamburger meat. :oops: You must admit I took the critizism like a man even though there was some hurtfull comments made.

Central Fl Cracker":3fuqlztu said:
Well I feel pretty stupid not knowing a good Bull from a bad one. As most of you are aware I just got started in the cattle biz and I guess one of my Bull purchases was not good at all. He did throw off some decent calves this year and I had no calving problems. I quess this is how you learn and after the summer hopefully he will gain some weight and I will sell him off as hamburger meat. :oops: You must admit I took the critizism like a man even though there was some hurtfull comments made.

if you have no forage available he will not gain weight. the only way he will gain weight if you are overstocked (for your amount of forage not acreage) is by supplementing. you might be able to put a little on him but i doubt it will be worth the time and money. i would say cut your losses now and get rid of one forage consumer now.

CONGRATS!! You have learned the one of the major things in the cattle business.... Learn from your mistakes :clap: !!! The best thing that you can do is sell the bull and start over again. ;) Good luck with the next one!

btw.. Welcome to the cattle industry :welcome: :welcome: :tiphat: :cboy:

Central Fl Cracker":2j3xtuai said:
Well I feel pretty stupid not knowing a good Bull from a bad one. As most of you are aware I just got started in the cattle biz and I guess one of my Bull purchases was not good at all. He did throw off some decent calves this year and I had no calving problems. I quess this is how you learn and after the summer hopefully he will gain some weight and I will sell him off as hamburger meat. :oops:
  • >>You must admit I took the critizism like a man even though there was some hurtfull comments made<<
hey they took it easy on you. there have been some that did'nt have a shred of skin left before they were finished ;-)

Not to worry you are learning and that's what counts.
You are good to put him on here, I want to put mine on here and will one day when I get the picture but mean while building up the strength to take whatever comes.
Good luck in all you do with the cattle.

texast":vfj8v28x said:
Not to worry you are learning and that's what counts.
You are good to put him on here, I want to put mine on here and will one day when I get the picture but mean while building up the strength to take whatever comes.
Good luck in all you do with the cattle.

I agree that was good of you to put the pics on here.....now you know what to look for in a bull......I feel kind of bad for saying this but you are almost looking for the complete opposite of your bull. :oops: And yes you took it VERY WELL :tiphat:

Central Fl Cracker":2wvz79di said:
Your right Alacowman
Hopefully it's over for a while but I am learning a lot especially about Bulls.
C. Fl Cracker-

Here is a very helpful bit of information for you to use - the careful perusal of which will enable you to really get a handle on exactly what a beef animal (Bull OR cow) should LOOK like, and what particular specifics you should be able to know and understand in order to intelligently select optimal Beef Cattle breeding stock for them to PERFORM in a manner to MAKE YOU A PROFIT, and not cause you to fail in the business:

On your computer, go to [SEARCH], Type in http://www.DOGPILE.com and in that window type in Beef Cattle Selection and Judging. That will bring up dozens of topics and subjects for you to click on and read and print, if you so desire, and study! All of us on this Forum can criticize the picture of your bull(s), but until you know WHY the criticism is so intense, you won't understand the reasoning behind the sharp comments. It is important that you know the facts of Phenotype, and the Basics of Genotype before you can see the overall "picture" of what a desirable beef animal really is, and WHY these factors are important.

Thousands of breeders, colleges, Universities and researchers have spent literally millions of hours in studying Beef Cattle Production practices and technics and have attempted to bring this information to us for our benefit! You may find MUCH of this work in the above DOGPILE web site that I have cited for you.

Happy {SEARCHING]!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc
I also visited some site's that breed and sell Angus Bulls and what a difference. I thought it was mainly the lack of weight of my Bull but I learned it more than just weight. I even found some great Angus breeders here in Fl. and I might call them for a tour and education. I have found out that most cattlemen are willing to share their knowledge.

Latest posts