Bull Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas G@l

Reaction score
We went to look at yearling bulls at a local Angus breeder. I was shocked at how weak (for lack of a better word) they were . All 20 of them should have been cut and sold as steers. No butts or guts , just nuts. When the breeder mentioned they were all calving ease, I thought "no $hit, they probably throw calves the size of a house cat". I don't think one of them topped 850 pounds despite being 15-18 months old. We chatted awhile but got away quickly. On the way home, I told my husband I would have been embarrassed to sell them as bulls with my brand on them.

On to the next breeder on the list.

most of the ones I've around they are so fat they can't even walk right.. let alone want to breed a bunch of cattle. not sure why everyone wants to buy them like that.

i just picked up 2 that weren't overconditioned... guy told me they were just on 1% and grass.. he brings them.. they stink like they've been on full feed. geez... the one already tore through a brand new 5 strand barb wire (no cows or anything on the other side.. he just decided to do it i guess)... and I just paid 6k for that one..

last few I raised myself I think I'm just going to start raising about 4 up every year so I don't have to play these stupid games and give the shysters all this $$$$

most of the ones I've around they are so fat they can't even walk right.. let alone want to breed a bunch of cattle. not sure why everyone wants to buy them like that.

i just picked up 2 that weren't overconditioned... guy told me they were just on 1% and grass.. he brings them.. they stink like they've been on full feed. geez... the one already tore through a brand new 5 strand barb wire (no cows or anything on the other side.. he just decided to do it i guess)... and I just paid 6k for that one..

last few I raised myself I think I'm just going to start raising about 4 up every year so I don't have to play these stupid games and give the shysters all this $$$$

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 28
Here is my bull I bought from a Limflex breeder close to my farm. He was 18 months when I got him. He is approx. 2 years old now. A bit more frame than my last one, but I don't have any heifers to breed and probably won't for a while with these cattle prices!

2 years ago we went driving for several days looking at Angus, Brangus, and Angus Plus Bulls. We would hit a couple breeders a day. It's was pretty disappointing. If I lose my guy... I'm screwed. They were either pretty raggedy or like hippos.

The second day in we went and looked at some that were huge. They were dang near dragging the ground. They looked like those Angus bulls outside a steakhouse. I asked the guy... do these actually breed cows in the pasture? 😄

Latest posts