Bull Sale: Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Nesikep said:
The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
Me neither, but I'm looking for a big boned woman to help my weaning weights.

:lol:
They all say they're just big boned

Big bones don't jiggle when they walk...rattle maybe.. :cowboy:

[/quote]
RBB, I highly suspect we are watching the same "little sale". I'm very curious to see how the postponement affects the sale. It was always a highlight to head to Morris each spring to buy....can't say I would now even if it was still in Morris though... :hide:
[/quote]

Boot Jack we were watching the same little sale. First part seemed heavy limflex after the purebreds started selling it seemed to pick up pretty good. BTW Red Bulls rocked today.

Draper said:
Typically done the opposite way. That is, take the 'weaning weight' at the earliest allowable date and extrapolate that adg on out to 205

Actually you are wrong. All the big outfits that emphasize WW wean as late as allowable. Cough Schaff Cough..

two reasons:
1. the breed association that I belong to actually dont take the whole WDA back linear to 205 like BIF does.
2. The calf itself grows better (more ADG) from age 6 months to 8 months than they do months 3 thru 5.

RBB, I highly suspect we are watching the same "little sale". I'm very curious to see how the postponement affects the sale. It was always a highlight to head to Morris each spring to buy....can't say I would now even if it was still in Morris though... :hide:
[/quote]

Boot Jack we were watching the same little sale. First part seemed heavy limflex after the purebreds started selling it seemed to pick up pretty good. BTW Red Bulls rocked today.
[/quote]

I just wish there were more good non-Limflex on the sales nation wide. Magness hardly has a purebred on their sales anymore, much less a red one! The couple of breeders who have sales that focus on purebred reds, have them so dang early in the season, its hard to make it to sales in January up here! 10 years ago, there would be plenty of red purebreds in each sale, to the point where you actually had to sort them....those days seem long gone for the most part.

jscunn said:
Draper said:
Typically done the opposite way. That is, take the 'weaning weight' at the earliest allowable date and extrapolate that adg on out to 205

Actually you are wrong. All the big outfits that emphasize WW wean as late as allowable. Cough Schaff Cough..

two reasons:
1. the breed association that I belong to actually dont take the whole WDA back linear to 205 like BIF does.
2. The calf itself grows better (more ADG) from age 6 months to 8 months than they do months 3 thru 5.

I don't know anything about your number one point but everything else youve stated is just wrong.

If weaning weights are taken at the latest allowable date, the ADJUSTED weaning weight will be LESS THAN their ACTUAL weaning weight as you are adjusted backwards in time to 205 days.

If an animal has an actual weaning weight of 850 at 245 days, then his adjusted to 205 weaning weight will obviously be less than 850.

If weaning weights are taken at the earliest (earlier) date, the ADJUSTED weaning weight will be MORE THAN their ACTUAL weaning weight.

When an outfit physically weans the calf off the dam is completely irrelevant to when weaning weights can be taken and reported. ie they may leave them on the cow for 10 months but they're weighing them at 5.

Draper if you want the highest possible weaning weight for a particular calf you weigh them late ie 279 days not 155 days.

First of all a calf will gain more weight during months 6 7 and 8, than it will during 345..

Example..
calf that weighs 450 # at 150 days.. ie 3.0 WDA adjusted WW (BIF formula) would be 615#.. That same calf under the same conditions will gain more than 3# a day during months 6,7 and 8. Lets say he gained 3.5 from day 150 to 240 (315lbs) So by 240 days he weighs 765.. when you adjust it to 205 that is.... 653#.. It really is that simple..

This guy was weaned at 275 days. His actual weight was 974 pounds, his adjusted 205 was 823.

Our newly weaned SAV President son is his 1/2 brother. Same momma.

http://bit.ly/2DtRjZr

Latest posts