Bright Raven that which must be done

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you David. His Dam is Margo. If there is a scale to measure docility, she sets the standard. His sire is a bull out of Rocking P Livestock.

How docile is He? And how well did you break him to lead?

BTW: your son did a great job!

You can turn loose of the rope. If you notice the first picture he has complete control of the steer with one hand. The steer will follow you around the yard. I clipped his head today and he tried to lick me the whole time.

That picture is not very good. "Carl" is big, 1300+ We will find out final weight next Monday. My son has grown almost 4 inches since the first picture was taken.

Do they have a carcass contest in the program Carl is enrolled in? If so, that would be good feedback. Both Margo's first calves (yours is her second) have been steers. She is bred to have an Optimizer calf, Oct 7. This will be her first potential seedstock calf.

He looks yummy!
Tell us about the program he is in, please. Will he sell live, or do you get to see him on the rail? He looks perfectly finished, and has gained great! He is what, 15 months old now? Looks like your son did a super job feeding him and getting him ready! When is the show? Good luck!

It is a county 4-H show. There is a carcass contest but Carl is not in it. We have packers that give bids on all the animals at the fair. He will be sold for market price. Our show is a terminal show you can buy your steer back only if going to one of the local butcher shops. We bought our daughters last year so Carl will be going down the road.

The Fair has an "auction" on Saturday that "buyers" can "buy" animals if they want. This part is in addition to the packer price that kids receive for their animals.

I hate this part our fair, buyers are not actually bidding on or buying anything. It is basically a donation to the kid.

Davemk":1yrua3k0 said:
It is a county 4-H show. There is a carcass contest but Carl is not in it. We have packers that give bids on all the animals at the fair. He will be sold for market price. Our show is a terminal show you can buy your steer back only if going to one of the local butcher shops. We bought our daughters last year so Carl will be going down the road.

The Fair has an "auction" on Saturday that "buyers" can "buy" animals if they want. This part is in addition to the packer price that kids receive for their animals.

I hate this part our fair, buyers are not actually bidding on or buying anything. It is basically a donation to the kid.

Is your son coping with the emotions associated with Carl being terminal?

Davemk":2xj3igg0 said:

Our county fair does something similar, but not terminal. They have a "premium sale", basically local businesses buy the ribbon. The kids have to take the animal home. We raise two pigs and a steer every year, and put them in the freezer. Buyers are typically Tyson (bought our daughter's ribbon this year, she had the reserve champion pen of broilers), Springfield Livestock Marketing Center, Joplin Stockyards, and lots of feed/western stores. Our kids end up with 10 to 15 people that put money in the pot, and they write a thank you to each person who puts money on them. Most kids make around $200, give or take.
How will your son make money if he just gets market price? Sounds like the packer is the one who wins with that situation. I could not raise a steer and just get market price, I would lose money!
Good luck with him!

Bright Raven
I just asked him if he would be ok when carl goes on the truck. His response "Yep", we will see. This is his 2nd year.

Fire Sweep Ranch
The kids get market price + whatever they receive during the "auction". Most kids with steers will receive between $750-$950 on Saturday during the "Auction". My son will net about $2300.

Latest posts