Breeding older heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

If the heifer is developed properly, there are no calving issues. I don't have lots of numbers like some on here, but i raise and calve out at least 12-15 heifers a year, and I do not have ANY calving issues. I have not had to assist any heifer or cow for many many years other than mal-presentations. I breed heifers to easier calving sires than I use on some of my cows, but Simmental breed recommends +12 CE for heifers, and I don't worry about using +7 and above. I do not believe is using that super CE sire because you will end up with cows that can't have a decent size calf.
This year my heifer's calves weighed between 66 (a puke for my normal calves - 12 days early) to 92, averaging 79.3# - unassisted - all calving between 22 - 24 months of age
Edit: we all have to work with the cattle & system that best suits us and our environment.

i'm having calving problems out of these big ol' herefords I bought. They are 24 months now and one didn't have her calf until 30 months old. I'm going nuts. way too old for me. I tried to breed them early but it didn't happen. They are all having these monster calves.. I've had to pull everyone.

i like my young angus cows that just walk up with a calf and everything is A-OK. no problems, no big calves, no feed to anyone ever. I have a hereford that is on its 2nd calf.. we'll see how she does.. if I have to pull it they are all getting bred and sold. I hope not because the black baldies I'm getting are very nice calves.

ddd75":3vjiamv4 said:
i'm having calving problems out of these big ol' herefords I bought. They are 24 months now and one didn't have her calf until 30 months old. I'm going nuts. way too old for me. I tried to breed them early but it didn't happen. They are all having these monster calves.. I've had to pull everyone.

i like my young angus cows that just walk up with a calf and everything is A-OK. no problems, no big calves, no feed to anyone ever. I have a hereford that is on its 2nd calf.. we'll see how she does.. if I have to pull it they are all getting bred and sold. I hope not because the black baldies I'm getting are very nice calves.

Most like 99% of my cattle problems have been from my Hereford cross cattle. Using Hereford bulls was the biggest mistake I've made recently in the cattle business. I have some Baldie cows expecting their second calves any day, if they have any calving problems their gone. It's a shame because Hereford are easy doing and can scrounge with the best of them.

True Grit Farms":rtzzw5gf said:
ddd75":rtzzw5gf said:

Most like 99% of my cattle problems have been from my Hereford cross cattle. Using Hereford bulls was the biggest mistake I've made recently in the cattle business. I have some Baldie cows expecting their second calves any day, if they have any calving problems their gone. It's a shame because Hereford are easy doing and can scrounge with the best of them.

You should have bought your Herefords from Danny Miller.

TennesseeTuxedo":3igt9lrc said:
True Grit Farms":3igt9lrc said:
ddd75":3igt9lrc said:

I can kind of agree to that. I did use most of his original bloodlines before he went to line breeding. Is it just a coincidence that 90+% our problems are coming from the Hereford influence cattle? I'm still a Hereford fan, but you won't see another Hereford bull on this place in my lifetime.

True Grit Farms":2z8dccw5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2z8dccw5 said:
True Grit Farms":2z8dccw5 said:

I can kind of agree to that. I did use most of his original bloodlines before he went to line breeding. Is it just a coincidence that 90+% our problems are coming from the Hereford influence cattle? I'm still a Hereford fan, but you won't see another Hereford bull on this place in my lifetime.

And you won't see me without one.

TennesseeTuxedo":284zezy3 said:
True Grit Farms":284zezy3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":284zezy3 said:

If I had your money I'd have all Hereford cattle, nothing prettier. IMO I don't have a ranch manager like the high rollers, I have to pull the calves, doctor feet and eye issues myself.

Brute 23":2cqyen0r said:
So all the Brahman or Brahman infuenced heifers that don't see bulls until 18-24 months have more problems.... I think not.

"Streching" the pelvic area at a young age does not sound good long term.

I agree Brute, we have brangus and ours wont see a bull until 18 months so that they are fully developed. Rarely do we pull a calf from a first calf heifer.

Grit, so you breed your heifers less than a year old?

True Grit Farms":32d102d7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":32d102d7 said:
True Grit Farms":32d102d7 said:

If I had your money I'd have all Hereford cattle, nothing prettier. IMO I don't have a ranch manager like the high rollers, I have to pull the calves, doctor feet and eye issues myself.

Get better cows and stop breeding your heifers so dang young and you're problems will drop significantly.

TennesseeTuxedo":2hr2klqd said:
True Grit Farms":2hr2klqd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2hr2klqd said:

Get better cows and stop breeding your heifers so dang young and you're problems will drop significantly.

The last heifer 605 is was 23 months, 524 was 28 months, 522 was 21 months old, each one was a Hereford cross baldie and each one had calving problems. The book keeper doesn't miss much around here, and she's he anti - Hereford not me. We've had calves unassisted for years from our Angus and Simmental cattle. And some of the calves were born to heifers as young as 14 months. I'm sure glad that I bought a calf puller 8 years ago when I had a Simmental bull. And sure glad that I didn't need to use it till 2 years ago when my Hereford calves became of age. Believe it or not we have a pretty good management program here. We don't work for the pharmaceutical companies, but we do vaccinate to BQA standards.
Are you still going to DVF sale? I'll buy lunch if you are.

True Grit Farms":2hrbphjf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2hrbphjf said:
True Grit Farms":2hrbphjf said:

The last heifer 605 is was 23 months, 524 was 28 months, 522 was 21 months old, each one was a Hereford cross baldie and each one had calving problems. The book keeper doesn't miss much around here, and she's he anti - Hereford not me. We've had calves unassisted for years from our Angus and Simmental cattle. And some of the calves were born to heifers as young as 14 months. I'm sure glad that I bought a calf puller 8 years ago when I had a Simmental bull. And sure glad that I didn't need to use it till 2 years ago when my Hereford calves became of age. Believe it or not we have a pretty good management program here. We don't work for the pharmaceutical companies, but we do vaccinate to BQA standards.
Are you still going to DVF sale? I'll buy lunch if you are.

I'll be there. Bringing my grandson too.

Latest posts