Breeding for Brangus Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has bred Brangus Baldy replacement heifers and if so what cross did you use. I'm starting with a primarily Angus set that I raised and am breeding them back to a Hereford bull to get the baldy calfs. From here I'm not sure if I should go with a Brangus or Brahman bull. I have raised a few Brangus Baldies in the past but they were out of Brangus cows bred to Hereford bulls. It seems allot of the Brangus advertised these days are actually more Angus, I'd like some leather and about a 1/4 ear on this set.

The less ear, usually the less leather..if you want the extra leather for the more ""cooling benefits""...their out there..but a lot of the ones i see advertised with the traditional brangus look.. are too light and chicken boned..personally I prefer deep and soggy with a little tighter hide..

ALACOWMAN said:
Something along this line, put a Hereford bull on one like her and raise a eye popper ...https://images.app.goo.gl/JsMgrHkiCBDZMctx8

That's what I'm looking for in a Brangus Baldy just trying to get there with heifers out of angus based cows x Hereford bulls. I'm thinking cross them with Brahma bulls will get the best results.

You can if you got the time and years ahead of you..cheaper,quicker, and can get to where you want ,just picking and buying good solid young brangus cows or heifers.. now is a great time to buy..another way get you a good F1 brangus bull to go on your angus ..

If you have Angus cows you would have to go with an F1 Braford bull to get the 1/4 bloods. They have some Golden Certified F1 bulls out there but there will be some risk with that. You could put a Braford bull across them and have a little less Brahman but you would be using an established composite breed vs an F1.

Thanks guys. I do realize I'd be better off starting with Brangus cows but I'm looking at a long term replacement program and trying my hand at selling bred heifers every year. I plan on breeding for my first set in 2021 which seems way off but, we all know how time gets away and cows get old on us. I'm kicking around buying a Brangus or Brahma bull to put on a nice set of Angus heifers that I raised last year and bred to an Angus bull. They should start calving next month. These calves would be mostly straight black which I'm fine with, the baldy deal is more for resale...they seem to sell for a premium.

Lucky said:
Thanks guys. I do realize I'd be better off starting with Brangus cows but I'm looking at a long term replacement program and trying my hand at selling bred heifers every year. I plan on breeding for my first set in 2021 which seems way off but, we all know how time gets away and cows get old on us. I'm kicking around buying a Brangus or Brahma bull to put on a nice set of Angus heifers that I raised last year and bred to an Angus bull. They should start calving next month. These calves would be mostly straight black which I'm fine with, the baldy deal is more for resale...they seem to sell for a premium.
at the Debter sale in October..the F1 Tiger heifers, brought a grand more than the super baldies ..don't know how often that happens, and there might be more hidden circumstances to that paticular sale..but I do know it cost more to make em around here..plus they are hot items.

I'd get me some good purebred (not registered) brangus and put a herford bull on them. Knock the ear back a little bit and should make you some good cattle.

Buying would probably be best and I've bought several in the past. I really want to try my hand at raising my own. I am looking at some really nice Brangus replacement heifers I could put with my yearlings to raise though. They're pricey but nice.

Lucky said:
Buying would probably be best and I've bought several in the past. I really want to try my hand at raising my own. I am looking at some really nice Brangus replacement heifers I could put with my yearlings to raise though. They're pricey but nice.

Good brangus will always be a little higher than other cattle but they're awesome cows.

If your in the market for a good Brangus bull i could help. Most of my cattle are in East Texas, we make several trips there each year to check the cows and visit family. If i dont have what your looking for i could point you in the right direction. I would recommend either a brangus or ultrablack bull. The black steer calves will not have as much ear as they would if you went with brahman and would do well at the sales.

Latest posts