Brahma mama, Whats it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

No way in hell that those at $1300...well, $1285..would be worth as much, much less more, than those 4 yr olds, 7 months bred to a Hereford.

for $1700 are. Any F1 Heifers born in May to those 4, will bring $1200 themselves at that size and age.
He missed out of those 4 year olds. Water under the bridge now. No use to compare to those now since they ain't for sale. Some of those heifers look nice to me and there are 95 head to pick from - buyers choice at the one price. But, I do agree that $1285 is less than $1700. Add in two years of upkeep till calving and those heifers will end up costing more than those cows. But might work for those that can pick better quality from a large group.

I've never been keen on branded animals myself. Especially when they have 3 or 4 numbers. And they are all over the place. Drives me a bit crazy actually.

Ruins an otherwise beautiful animal, imo!

I have to tell you that I'm glad you didn't bite. I really believe you should stick to the mutts...find some bred brahngus or others with some ears and then we'll all still know you're you and true to your nature...and we all love you for that...just my $.02

I've never been keen on branded animals myself. Especially when they have 3 or 4 numbers. And they are all over the place. Drives me a bit crazy actually.

Ruins an otherwise beautiful animal, imo!

They have been branded, NO THANKS! "Branded heifers = Killer cows"

Lee, branding is common out west. Especially were ranchers graze large BLM and other federal acres. Some states might even require it, I dunno. Has nothing to do with "kill cows".

@Dave, do y'all brand out there?

Murray, I have seen 6 and 7 figure QHs that are branded form out West. Makes me cringe a little, too. But, it doesn't lower the price!

Lee, branding is common out west. Especially were ranchers graze large BLM and other federal acres. Some states might even require it, I dunno. Has nothing to do with "kill cows".

@Dave, do y'all brand out there?

Murray, I have seen 6 and 7 figure QHs that are branded form out West. Makes me cringe a little, too. But, it doesn't lower the price!
yep, required. and funny because we tend to be proud of our brands - to the point that urban/suburban ranchetters are becoming pests in yet another way - clogging the brand book with their stupid brands that mostly would never work on animals. I don't know why they even get accepted but probably related to the livestock division collecting lots of fee money and never having to inspect an animal from them.

I have my Great Grandfather's brand that he brought out on his horses from Texas in the 1880s.

Everything here has a brand and depending on how many times the animal has changed ownership it might have a bunch of brands. There are so many brands registered in Oregon that they won't except a brand with less than 3 characters. I went through about 20 requests before I finally came up with one they would accept. About 2 owners back on this place put their brand in the concrete in front of the garage. It is C over U. I couldn't find anything like it in the brand book. But they wouldn't accept it from me. I have thought about adding a rafter or bar or some other characteristic to it and registering it next time my registration comes up.

I bought an old cow one winter. She was wooled up pretty good for the winter. The brand inspector who didn't last long said she had no brands. I slapped my brand on her. When she shed out that spring she had 8 different brands. Looked like a road map of Washington and Oregon. It is a big no no to put a brand on top of an existing brand. By pure luck I missed the other brands when I applied my iron.

Not so much. Me and everyone I know cut a tag out and put the new one in the same hole.
That's what i try to do!!

Damn vet used to drive me nutz just making a new hole all Willy nilly! Seen all kinds of folks doing that. There's a couple sale barns always puts a tag in the opposite ear with age/preg written on it. Drives me crazy!

I have my Great Grandfather's brand that he brought out on his horses from Texas in the 1880s.

When cleaning out a shed after my father passed away I found a blacksmith made branding iron with my great-grandfather's initials. The county clerk at the time had a personal interest in brands, so I asked him to look it up when/if he had time. He said in the early 1970's it was registered to my great-grandparent's oldest daughter, who was never married, inherited the home place after her father passed away in 1968, and had the same initials as my great-grandfather.

I was later told by a local lady in my father's generation, who never forgets anything, that it was common for people to use a brand and not register it, but the county had a big push to get people to register them about the time the LS brand was registered. All that leads up to what I believe is a reasonable assumption that it was my great-grandfather's brand, and it was convenient for my great aunt to register it then since she had his cattle, and she has the same initials.

I wouldn't take $1,000.00 for it.

That is cheap. I see old historic brands selling for $10,000. Of course that is not just the iron but includes the state registration and all rights associated with that brand.

Correction!! I looked up brands for sale in the Ranch World ads. I found 2 listed for $20,000 and one listed for $25,000

Last edited:
When cleaning out a shed after my father passed away I found a blacksmith made branding iron with my great-grandfather's initials. The county clerk at the time had a personal interest in brands, so I asked him to look it up when/if he had time. He said in the early 1970's it was registered to my great-grandparent's oldest daughter, who was never married, inherited the home place after her father passed away in 1968, and had the same initials as my great-grandfather.

I was later told by a local lady in my father's generation, who never forgets anything, that it was common for people to use a brand and not register it, but the county had a big push to get people to register them about the time the LS brand was registered. All that leads up to what I believe is a reasonable assumption that it was my great-grandfather's brand, and it was convenient for my great aunt to register it then since she had his cattle, and she has the same initials.

Rafter S, go to the County Clerk's office and look up the brand. It is possible you to register the brand in your name if no one has re=registered it. Brands in Texas have to be re-registered every 10 years in years ending in 2 (1992,2002,2012,2022).

Rafter S, go to the County Clerk's office and look up the brand. It is possible you to register the brand in your name if no one has re=registered it. Brands in Texas have to be re-registered every 10 years in years ending in 2 (1992,2002,2012,2022).

Thank you for the suggestion. I should do that. I'd probably never use it (as you might have guessed from my user name I already have one that I use), but it would be nice to keep it in the family.

I would echo getting it registered. here in AZ you have to keep them registered or they can be called abandonded and the state will put them up for anybody to take (for fee, of course) I forget the first registration fee, but I think it is $50 every 5 or 10 years after. at the moment I am only using one, but have two old family brands I would never sell. gave my city slicker sister my Mother's brand (that was actually another old family brand from one of her aunts and uncles)

I have an old stamp iron from a great, great uncle who was kind of famous in these parts. it is HUGE. would bbq a baby calf if it was used now. made for grown steers, I guess. LOL

Latest posts