Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

So I'm all outta bottle calves!
(Still have some milk, ugh!)

The original Bottle Calf!
SEVEN!

I know she's still got a lil ways to go but I'm super duper 😊
20220515_163107.jpg
Can't get a good shot, but definitely starting to develop an udder.
20220515_163017.jpg
She will be bred to Lil Ricky. Hope all works out splendidly. SEVEN is definitely big enough to do the job, just hope she don't freak out on me if I need to help her.

Last edited:
I've heard something about monitoring pins?

I don't know what to look for there honestly
The "hooks" are the forward hip bones that protrude, and the pins are the hip bones pointing backwards just under the tail. As pins start to spread wider as the cow begins to dilate in preparation for birth.

There is a ? tendon/cord that you can feel between tail and pin. As she gets close, that cord stretches and she will look like she's a little hollow on each side of tail head.
So no luck with that tonight. Got home late from out of town. But her bag is a bit tighter.
Her nor Snowball have done it yet.

Seven came up to me on the 4 wheeler and just put her head right in my lap. Poor her. She knows something is going on...

This whole area will kinda sink when she's really close. last pic you posted the bag looks like it's getting there, couple days perhaps View attachment 17418
Hey thanks!

Bag is definitely still filling out. Appears bigger every day. Teats are not tight yet tho. I can't believe the day is finally coming my lil bottle baby is finally gonna have a calf. I hope it's an easy birth for her. Lord knows she got enough size and age on her.

Hey thanks!

Bag is definitely still filling out. Appears bigger every day. Teats are not tight yet tho. I can't believe the day is finally coming my lil bottle baby is finally gonna have a calf. I hope it's an easy birth for her. Lord knows she got enough size and age on her.
I've been kinda interested in this conversation because from my experience pregnant moms can surprise you. Some bag up and get swollen and drip mucus for days... and others will surprise you with a calf with no warning. Trying to predict the minute a calf will be born is really rolling the dice.
But damn, it's fun anyways...

I've been kinda interested in this conversation because from my experience pregnant moms can surprise you. Some bag up and get swollen and drip mucus for days... and others will surprise you with a calf with no warning. Trying to predict the minute a calf will be born is really rolling the dice.
But damn, it's fun anyways...
I had 4 heifers penned up a couple years ago, after losing a big fine heifer on pasture with a calf she couldn't get out..
I was checking them about every 3 hours. Even thru the night!!
One calved in between checks, and the sac didn't break correctly. Calf suffocated.
The sad thing is, u could tell where the new mama had been licking it trying to get her up and going.
That was a sad sad morning.

She did raise a bought calf tho! And her last calf was a whopper of a steer. Did a fine job

OH HAPPY DAY!
The day has finally come. My sweet sweet lil bottle baby, Seven, is finally a mama!!

The day I found her.....
.20190829_081605.jpg20190829_084022.jpg20190829_084234.jpg
And here she is today with her brand spanking new lil bull calf! He's a lanky slender lil thing. 70lbs TOPS!
Calved successfully all by her one-sy....
Lots of exclamation points because I'm SUPER excited and sooooo happy!!!!
20220615_193843.jpg20220615_193939.jpg20220615_194139.jpg
The place I found her is just about 100 feet to the right in these newest pictures. How kool is that?
Probly just kool to me. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Happy birthday "Lucky" lil bull calf!!!!

edited to add....
Seven was born end of August, 2019
So she not quite 3 years old for her first calf.

Last edited:
Roy Orbison said it best....

MERCY!!

Who says a first calf heifer can't have milk?
🤣
20220618_195734.jpg
This lil bull calf cracks me up. He's near as narrow as L'nuf was. But tall and slender. Small narrow head. Noassitall though.
Best lil calf I could've asked for out of a heifer!
Hope he grows like the others.
Happy Happy Happy
20220618_194752.jpg
20220618_195647.jpg

Latest posts