Black Charolais Bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Neighbor is going to buy a "Black Charolais bull". I have never heard of them ? They look ok. Just doesn't seem right. They are not homozygous black or not recognized in The US. Claims they gain just like a regular Charolais, just black. Anyone ever heard of them? I included a couple pics

We call em Black limosuins here :hide: Nice looking bulls for sure. But just like limos, or "black Herefords"that black came from somewhere else.

Is was my understanding that the black occurred naturally and was verified with DNA testing. Was that not correct?

ALACOWMAN":2fdm10ik said:
Does it occur in France?

I don't know what information other folks have read, but I was involved with registered Charolais in the late 80's-90's and never heard anything about a black variant. I'm quite confident that it doesn't occur naturally in France.

Ky hills":1dchaza4 said:
ALACOWMAN":1dchaza4 said:
Does it occur in France?

I don't know what information other folks have read, but I was involved with registered Charolais in the late 80's-90's and never heard anything about a black variant. I'm quite confident that it doesn't occur naturally in France.
If it does or ever did ,I'd bet they where culled...I've read what they've read..and I believe those were from chars that were bred up in the past..one day a calf was born black and ""boom"""it was on..here's our chance to ride with the flow..

ALACOWMAN":p4q4wbz9 said:
Does it occur in France?
I believe that not. Never heard of it in any part of Europe either. The white colour is quite dominant from my experience. It can occur in crossbred cattle even with low % of Charolais. Have a white Limox calf with only 9% Char. Crossed white charx cows with Limousines, Angus bulls and calves were creamy or light grey coloured calves. Once used AnguxCharx bull in the herd. Got only one black bull calf out of Angusx cow and black heifer out of black BBxdairy cow. However got two light grey heifers from other black Angusx cows. Those heifers both had white, creamy and black Limox calves, different colour every year. Other calves from that crossbred bull were diffrent shades of red, light grey. Had one particular black 3/4Limo cow, which always had black calves and even her Limox calves were solid black. A bull calf from that bull was very light grey.
Can't imagine a fullblood Charolais being black. And in my personal opinion those bulls look like Angus. No similarities with Charolais at all.

ALACOWMAN":1tadw35f said:
Ky hills":1tadw35f said:
ALACOWMAN":1tadw35f said:
Does it occur in France?

If it does or ever did ,I'd bet they where culled...I've read what they've read..and I believe those were from chars that were bred up in the past..one day a calf was born black and ""boom"""it was on..here's our chance to ride with the flow..
I believe you are right about black Charolais came from these American Charolais that were bred up via local breeds, not from French Charolais. Just like skunktail traits and red factor..

Muddy":1ci6utfz said:
sstterry":1ci6utfz said:
This article from 1998 may provide some info.
https://www.producer.com/1998/04/charolais-breeders-turn-cattle-black/
They have verified parentage through blood tests and DNA typing.
Maybe these black Charolais came from the bred-up Charolais cattle not full blooded french Charolais?

I have had a few calves born with a light reddish tint, from purebreds with bred up ancestry. All but a couple of those calves turned white within a month or so, the others remained that light red color. Have even had a couple born with a light colored red Hereford color pattern that turned all white too. A dark colored nose on a white animal could occur as well. I'm still skeptical of the black hided coloration, I still think it occurred the same way that some of the traditionally red breeds turned black.

Ky hills":1v9rwl24 said:
Muddy":1v9rwl24 said:
sstterry":1v9rwl24 said:
This article from 1998 may provide some info.
https://www.producer.com/1998/04/charolais-breeders-turn-cattle-black/
They have verified parentage through blood tests and DNA typing.
Maybe these black Charolais came from the bred-up Charolais cattle not full blooded french Charolais?

I have had a few calves born with a light reddish tint, from purebreds with bred up ancestry. All but a couple of those calves turned white within a month or so, the others remained that light red color. Have even had a couple born with a light colored red Hereford color pattern that turned all white too. A dark colored nose on a white animal could occur as well. I'm still skeptical of the black hided coloration, I still think it occurred the same way that some of the traditionally red breeds turned black.
In that article, it said that the breeder gathering the "Charolais" cattle with black nose and produced black hided calves from these black nosed Charolais.

Muddy":32w2vkpp said:
Ky hills":32w2vkpp said:
Muddy":32w2vkpp said:

In that article, it said that the breeder gathering the "Charolais" cattle with black nose and produced black hided calves from these black nosed Charolais.
Yep. Makes sense. Good chance if they had a black nose they weren't purebred Charolais to begin with.

I am just posting the article. I, like everyone else on here, have no idea! But I can say that when I was young we had a purebred Charolais Operation and we had several off color calves over the years. I just noticed that 20 years ago they said the DNA checked out.

Latest posts