Big step..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Found some massive walk-in freezer units priced very reasonably. These were part of a ice cream business that went out of business several years ago. Not sure if the compressors work but the units are priced so low it would be a great deal even if they are shot. My thought would be to get large numbers butchered at a fairly local USDA permitted facility, box up the meat by cut and then sell directly off the farm. I've always been hesitant to do much finishing because it's too hard to find people willing to purchase a whole or half a beef. These units (once functional) may give us the ability to sell to order. Any thoughts?
45665.jpeg
45667.jpeg
45666.jpeg

Before you buy, find out what hurdles you have to keep going through to be an on farm seller of meat. USDA inspected? Records of cooler temps so someone can't claim their meat was bad and you couldn't prove it. Insurance for you and your farm as well as on the inventory in the event of a power outage. Cost of a generator. Customer base. Separate your farm from your meat business through LLC's so one is not lost due to the other in a court case. Just a few things that come to mind quickly. Who is going to man this? What are your hours going to be?

If you go that route, I would recommend looking into the KY Proud thing. Getting into a farmers market would also help get some advertising and exposure to your product. I'm sure that the meat vendors at our market had larger freezer units other than the trailers they brought to market. We had a county agent that was pretty knowledgeable on that sort of marketing and the various things involved. I would talk with your county agent. As well contacting the Ky Proud folks.

Before you buy, find out what hurdles you have to keep going through to be an on farm seller of meat. USDA inspected? Records of cooler temps so someone can't claim their meat was bad and you couldn't prove it. Insurance for you and your farm as well as on the inventory in the event of a power outage. Cost of a generator. Customer base. Separate your farm from your meat business through LLC's so one is not lost due to the other in a court case. Just a few things that come to mind quickly. Who is going to man this? What are your hours going to be?
Good points, thanks! The farms are already an LLC, but I will look into creating another for the meat sales.

I would do my research before investing a lot of money. As I recall, if you sell individual cuts and you are not the processor, you have to have USDA certification. That is why most beef like this is sold by the whole, half, or quarter. The buyer has to technically own the carcus before it is cut up by the processor.

That is why most sell by weight on the hoof or hanging weight and not finished take home poundage.

201887display.jpg

Do you know how long meat can be kept in a freezer before it can freezer burn or go bad in other ways from long term storage ?

I think Farmerjon has some pretty good points. Myself I would be concerned about always having enough repeat customers that I could count on to sale that large of amount of beef before it spoiled by keeping it froze for extended periods of time.

If that were to happen and even if nobody tried to sue you or want their money back. They could hurt your businesses reputation enough to put you out of business.

But I guess the only way to find out for sure is to roll the dice and see what happens ?

Good luck and I hope you do good at it.

It's all about marketing. Have a website that looks nice and understand how to use Google's search algorithm to your advantage. Pay someone to do it for you if necessary.

Latest posts