Best Zero Turn mower out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new mower, since the old one is a 99 Sears Craftsman. I think it is time to move to the "big boy" toys, and my son is begging for us to buy a zero turn mower. I have a lot of trees to go around, so I can see the benefit of it. We mow several different sections around the house and road frontage, and not a lot of hill area; mostly flat with a lot of gravel edge (hence the broken windows that need repair!). Our grass is all volunteer, we never planted a lawn, it just grew! Mostly fescue with a mix of rocks and wood... :lol2: . Anyway, I did a search on here but did not find a thread containing the good and bad of different brands. I am not against buying used, and want something that will last like the old green machine.
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!

all the Lawn guys here run mostly Exmark , Dixie chopper makes a good one and I see quite a few kubotas . I was going to buy a new one this year until I had to have a clutch replaced On my tractor. Got a new elec clutch in today for my 15yr old Lesco (rebranded) cub cadet It is wore out but she's gotta hold on a little while longer .

We bought a Kubota a few years ago. No comparison to anything else, they are just pricey.

It's not about the brand as much as the model and grade IMO. No matter what you do buy the heavy duty commercial grade mower if you want quality. They are the best value if you have a lot of mowing. I'm partial to Kawasaki motors if the brand offers it.

Pass on a Gravely 48 inch....doesn't do a good job mowing in my opinion. For some reason the clippings don't discharge like I think they should and they end up sticking to the deck. (Might solve the broken window problem) 3 blades @ $20 a pop and an $80 belt.....Wife doesn't get to mow anymore.... Starter is a bit weak too but the frame and everything else seems to be good.

My parents have 3. A gravely used like bushhog for years now needs motor. A older dixie chopper has really held up. And a newer bad boy. I preferred the gravely to ride for a longer period of time.

Scagg and Exmark are very good as a they are the Commercial/Professional line mowers. John Deere, Ferris, and Kubota make a very good commercial zero turn mower.

I guess if you're gonna spend the ghila, kubota or grasshopper. The hustler z is used a lot around here, I think they are lower end in price, The Big dog comes highly recomended to me, and you have a few dealers in your area, I have only used a jd, not mine, and it was a good mower. I may be buying one myself.

Have a Johns Deere that I bought last year and love it. I had a Scag before that and it was a good mower as well. Only real reason I went with a JD is because I like the JD dealer a lot better than the Scag dealer. Which ever brand you choose just make sure you get a commercial grade one. They are built a lot better and will last along time for someone that doesn't mow 40+ hours a week all summer long.

Hook2.0 said:
Dixie chopper is bad to the bone.
I agree that Dixie Chopper is a great mower... problem is, they are going out of business. Their parent company Textron laid everyone off right before Christmas and are getting out of the mower business (includes Jacobson as well). I believe they are hoping that someone buys them out, but for now... the future is uncertain. Many dealers have dropped them for fear of the unknown. I would take a hard look at Bad Boy... they are producing some really nice machines now.

So if I am buying a used one, how do I know if it is commercial grade or not? I am assuming the ones that Lowes carry are not commercial grade?

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
So if I am buying a used one, how do I know if it is commercial grade or not? I am assuming the ones that Lowes carry are not commercial grade?

To buy a real Deere you have to go to the dealer not Lowes. On the Deeres a Z915 and up are the commercial grade mowers. To give you a idea they will be priced around 7-8000$ or more depending on options.

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
The decks are a lot heavier on the commercial grade, a commercial grade will cost twice as much. Also Google model before you buy will tell.

Lots of competition in that market. You have the big box stores, the midrange, and heavy commercial. Prices go from 3-4k, 7-10k, and 12k up. I bought a Ferris IZ700 61" last spring with the Vanguard 26 hp because it satisfied what I have learned from my conventional mowers, and the Hustler Fastrak 44 Z, and the DR 52 combo (walk-ride) Z. I didn't need to move into the commercial mowers as I don't do that kind of work. Skaggs is the commercial mainstream around here and are priced as such. The tractor dealer where I bought my last ZT sold half a dozen brands, primarily the mid and upper end mowers, none tractor brand related.

I saw a Ferris work over a hospital parking lot, had heard about them and their soft ride, and was impressed with the performance, and their survival over the years as a domestic mower supplier. I didn't catch the model but caught the action, up and over curbs, across the asphalt, over another curb, back to cutting, circles, forward, back, left, right. Liked the suspension as I have rough ground and my back doesn't like it. The 700 came in at $7.2K with the deluxe seat.

It required a few changes to suit me: A 48x52 canopy conveniently fit the ROPS, additional springs under the seat, and changeout of the rear tires from 12" rim, standard turf tires of 23-25" OD, to 2 ply studded (large balloon to soak up shocks) ATV tires on 8" rims run at 8-10 psig. Sucker floats across the ground now.

One of the things that I liked about it was the way the deck was made: Plenty deep with a wide discharge (common in commercial units) so that the clippings sweep out easily and clogging with wet grass is reduced, high blade speed supporting the same, and best is the sloped frontal area managed to prevent clippings from blowing up, over, and onto the deck which I found commonplace with my other two ZTs with vertical fronts on their decks.

Fuel is not an issue as the BS engines I have, (five last count on mowers) are very fuel efficient anyway, the mower runs fast over the terrain....really like your truck on a bumpy road.....speed up and let the suspension carry the bumps.....and at 5' you cover a lot of ground on a pass. But I bought it to mow large areas in and around my hay fields.

The 44" Hustler is the best for lawn work around obstacles as it can get in and around things in tight spaces. Haven't had problems with any of my machines, (44 and 52 purchased in 2005, just now starting to replace belts) except the conventionals (JD and Husqvarna) I bought from big box stores run about 600 hrs and you have to start replacing deck components. Engines are stout, transaxles are stout, seat springs vary although I have noticed that somebody found out that "valve train return springs" aren't really what you want under a lawn mower seat and the 44 didn't even have springs under the seat....till I added such.

HTH.

if your looking for deals, Try to find one that needs a new motor . You can repower one for around a 1000.00 bucks , Also some lawn companies will upgrade every couple years and you can get a maintained machine for a lot less but as with any used expect to have repair bills. Like I stated before , I have to put a new clutch on mine , it was 200 bucks , belts runs around 60 bucks each and it cost about 40 bucks on every blade change.

Latest posts