Best way to load wild cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

njg123

Reaction score
What is the most effective way you have successfully loaded wild cattle?

If you can get them penned, get everything set up with all the gates to the trailer open. Get'm moving and don't let them stop. Stay right on their butt hoopin and hollerin and slam the door behind them as soon as they load. Try not to let them stop or turn on you or it will end bad.

Be ready to bail out if it starts to go south on you. You will probably only get one chance.

Once you get them in the lot get them to chasing you and run into the trailer and out the side door. Have someone you trust to shut the side door and rear door before they get back out.

It all depends on what you have available. If the alley is wide enough chain a gate in the front of a loader tractor.
"Walk softly and carry a big stick" As long as you have a good escape plan, and some " sand" you can convince them that the way to go is on the trailer.
A good dog helps too.

SBMF 2015 said:
It all depends on what you have available.
I've built traps in barns, built pens two gates high, tranquilized them and drug them on trailers.
We have a local wrangler who uses horses and dogs.
And when everything else fails a 30-06 seems to always catch the wild ones.

Load of double aught works as well.
I stopped playing cowboy 25 years ago.
If it won't come to cubes when I call it's going to the barn.
I used to think a horse and cur dog in salt grass was fun.

I pull out in the middle of the pasture open the trailer and holler out...my name's fence, I'm sure y'all heard of me....I'm a lover, a fighter and a wild bull rider.
Now we can do this the hard way or the easy way...up to y'all.......they just lower their heads and walk on in..... :hat:

Caustic Burno said:
SBMF 2015 said:
It all depends on what you have available.
I've built traps in barns, built pens two gates high, tranquilized them and drug them on trailers.
We have a local wrangler who uses horses and dogs.
And when everything else fails a 30-06 seems to always catch the wild ones.

Load of double aught works as well.
I stopped playing cowboy 25 years ago.
If it won't come to cubes when I call it's going to the barn.
I used to think a horse and cur dog in salt grass was fun.

Yep, it used to be fun 20 years ago. Now I haven't had a 4wheeler started to chase cattle in a year and a half.
I'm with you, if they don't come to a bucket when I holler. They don't stay around to long.

I admit I have done most of the things listed above including, but not limited to, having them chase us, staying on their rear at dead run, and even tried threatening them... the dart gun is a game changer. If you can get them in a trap of any kind and get a dart in them. If the other cattle will go.. the darted one will usually go too. It really knocks the fire out of them and increases your odds.

I ALWAYS try to move cattle as a group, especially if they are on the wild side. That is the main thing in my book... keep them together.

When all else fails... put a bullet in their head. Dead is always the safest way to load a wild one. :tiphat:

I did the chase onto a trailer but she was right on my tail and would made a break for the front door. It was my bil cow and he was terrified of her. I was pretty athletic in those days and we spent a few minutes on the trailer playing catch me if you can. I ended up jumping over her and out the back. One bull i had i just shot him!

njg123 said:
What is the most effective way you have successfully loaded wild cattle?

What kind of wild?

Wild= the only thing you see is her hind quarters at a dead run away from you
or
Wild= tries to mash your guts out every time you see her

I like to take the path of least resistance. I would park the trailer in the pen. Put the feed in the trailer. This would be the only feed in the pen. Have a couple of others with the wild one. Each day, go put feed in and rattle the trailer. When they are eating, rattle it more. The day you want to leave, do the same routine but slam the gate shut when they are eating. Sort off the keepers at the salebarn and bring them back home. Cows are food motivated. Use it to your advantage.

darcelina4 said:
I like to take the path of least resistance. I would park the trailer in the pen. Put the feed in the trailer. This would be the only feed in the pen. Have a couple of others with the wild one. Each day, go put feed in and rattle the trailer. When they are eating, rattle it more. The day you want to leave, do the same routine but slam the gate shut when they are eating. Sort off the keepers at the salebarn and bring them back home. Cows are food motivated. Use it to your advantage.

Smart method.

See cattle are smart. They always have more time than most cattlemen.... lol

I think the more appropriate question would be how do I get a wild animal in my freezer?
Everyone likes hamburgers!

darcelina4 said:

If they will go in or stay in pens... they arent wild. ;-)

We have to do that kind of trickery just pen them old Brimmer & Brimmer X cows on a regular basis. I have to work some Brimmers this month. I started the penning process 2 weeks ago. I'm on track to have them caught by the end of the month. :)

We fool with a lotta wild cattle for people.

1. Horse and a rope
2. If it's caught in a pen, then a couple of dogs
3. No access to 1 and 2, then feed in the trailer. You will eventually get them. Put some blocks under the back, and crank the jack until the trailer is swung.

Latest posts