Best Used AI Tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll say it like it is. New big one with a longer holding time (saves money thru out the years) going to cost you say $1,200.

Used one $500. And your going to put $5,000 in it and sleep at night that it is not going bad? I have a used big one and a new smaller one. But I also use mine every day. If I see a problem I can fix it fast. Most beef guys going to use theirs couple days a year. Just my 2 cents.

Till-Hill said:
I'll say it like it is. New big one with a longer holding time (saves money thru out the years) going to cost you say $1,200.

Used one $500. And your going to put $5,000 in it and sleep at night that it is not going bad? I have a used big one and a new smaller one. But I also use mine every day. If I see a problem I can fix it fast. Most beef guys going to use theirs couple days a year. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly right. I use mine for 2 months (December/January), then it is idle for 10 months. In my circumstances, I keep it in the house so I frequently check it. But considering the value of the semen inventory, get a good quality tank. Mine is a MVE SC20/20. I have monitored it long enough that I know it retains nitrogen levels as advertised. If you get a used one, make sure you are comfortable that the seller is not selling a problem tank.

I've had my MVE SC 20/20 for a year and a half. I bought it through my ABS rep for either $800 or $850 filled I can't remember.

What pushed me to buy new was the warranty. The new MVE tank has a 5 year warranty and the ABS rep will take care of changing your tank out.

A good used tank is one that has good records on fills. Most of them need filled every 3 to 4 months. Seen some new tanks being advertised on craigslist for around 500.00

I bought a 20 year old MVE sc20/20 that set empty for 13 years I didn't give much for it. I have it filled every 4 months it'll still have 10 cm in it

Dixie2542 said:
How long have you had your MVE SC20/20 and how often do you have to fill it up?

I have had it 7 years. I have it filled quarterly even though it still averages 6 inches of nitrogen when recharged.

I like the MVEs. I have a few different tanks, but the MVE is a sleep at night deal. I have one with a wider neck, which is great for adding and removing inventory....it's not great for LN retention. The ones with a smaller neck retain LN longer, but I end up removing a canister (as in removing when purchased, so only 5 are left in each tank) from each just so I can get stuff in and out of them more easily. I have tanks purchased new and used. I split inventory between them regardless, so if there is a failure, my entire stash of a particular sire or mating is not wiped out.

Whatever you decide to go with, keep it off the ground in a dry and draft free environment where they won't get bumped around...

I have a Taylor Wharton xt20. Don't really like it but have nothing to compare it to. I need to put 9-10L in it every 60 days wether i use it or not. I have left it four months but the nitrogen drops below the canisters and i had one goblet float out on refill so there is three straws floating around the bottom of the tank somewhere.

Find your rep for ABS or what ever company is close to you and will service you tank. They know people who are quitting ai and some times they sell the used tanks for these people. They have serviced the tanks and will have a record of holding time.

We sell CT-20/20 liter used tanks for $299 delivered to your door. These are tanks that people have returned for various reasons. We fill them with LN2 to make sure they hold for at least 60 days. They are ideal for short term storage and freeze branding. The new CT-20 tanks hold for 140 days and have a 5 year vacuum guarantee for $469 delivered. All tanks include canisters, padded and insulated cover and measuring ruler. https://sementank.com/

Latest posts