Best tasting beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Logar said:
I am not too picky on the breed issue but I am on what goes in the freezer.

Love it when now and then a 5 year old cow does not have a calf. Leave her on grass all summer and put her in the freezer in October.

You will not be disappointed.

Best to all.

That's a fact.
I also would never feed corn to a cow. Maybe that's a preference thing but I think corn should only be consumed by people on the cob, certainly never through beef or whiskey. If a cow needs a little extra at the end then barley is the ticket.

JWBrahman said:
Brahman is a great tasting beef. You can tell the difference between Angus and Brahman. Each has its own merits but if you were raised eating Brahman beef Angus will taste more like hot dog. It's hard to describe.

I'm sure enviroment has a lot to do with that...

There is lots of "I think" going on.

Four things affect what happens in a consumer's mouth:

1 - genetics
2 - management
3 - butchering
4 - preparation

Screw up any of the four and you won't be happy.

Next ... the very best grass fed steaks ALWAYS outscore the best grain fed steaks ... AND ... the worst grass fed steaks ALWAYS perform worse than the worst grain fed steaks. Feeding grain does more to bring up the floor than to raise the ceiling.

Older beef is ALWAYS more "beefy flavored" than young beef. Aging on the hoof is a real thing.

We sold beef direct to families based on their dining preferences. When we were really going, we had a two year wait list for beef. People had alread paid and were waiting for the critter to get born ...

Take our years of experience and practical, hands on research for what it's worth.

BFE said:
I notice the list doesn't include what, in my experience, is the finest tasting of all beef, well finished dairy or dairy cross beef. They're not as economical, but man, are they tender and tasty!

Especially jersey beef. It just takes forever to get one fat.

Jersey beef, grass fed with maybe a little grain the last 2-3 months. Kill at about 27 months. Been eating this kind for 30+ years. Jerseys also make good grazers. If you leave them on the cow for 9-10 months, they will get over the "hay/pot belly" stage that so many go through when weaned younger. They do not put on the outside fat, but since they mature younger than some other dairy breeds, the marbling also seems to occur sooner and makes them very flavorful. The fat is more yellow even on just grass and that is a turnoff to someone who has only ever eaten "beef cattle" beef fed out on corn which makes the fat whiter.
Flavor comes with age, there is no getting around that.

BR,
This does seem like you are trying to troll the board a bit this morning.
I like how you mention "the data was adjusted" as if what they did was ok, haha.
I think NEF is correct. Raise your own, grill your own, eat your own. Hands down the best. :)
It better be the Best...cause more then likely you've got a "Ship Load" of it to Eat!

Hello All...Newbie here to this Site, but anything but a Newbie to livestock & farming. I come from very Rural Cinci, Ohio...my dads family owned the largest Meat Packing Plant in the State, at the turn of the 19th Century & my moms Dad owned a Dairy Farm in Carrolton, Kentucky. Yes...at one time (had circumstances gone right) I would now be a very rich man...but seeing that both families were Greedy-Egocentric-Money Grubbing SOB's...all that money was Spent and/or Lost before Elvis popped out of his momma's Boo-Boo!

Okay...enough of that crap!

I fully agree with the Brahman analogy, even as a child I had a fascination with them & it was a Brahman that taught me how fast I could REALLY RUN! <snicker> I started cooking for my Family at age 8 and the only thing that had eluded me, was the Tastes/Flavors of Fresh Meats, Eggs, Cheeses and even Deli Foods! Have felt like I've been eating Paste & thought it was something wrong with me...then one day my dad split a whole Brahman - Processed, with a buddy from work. I could smell what I'd been looking for, actually stole a package of Cube Steak that night, and felt I was eating Steak Tar-Tar made with a Kobe Fillet Mignon...I ate it RAW! Since then I've sought the morsels of true greatness...it was as easy as returning to the Farm! Food today is disgraceful...that's a big reason I am moving back to to Mobile, Alabama...at least I can catch or buy from the Boats, the consistently fantastic Seafood the Gulf of Mexico provides! I'll Shut-Up Now!

Fungus Out-

Welcome "Insanity", what's your story? Do you raise cattle or do you just cook them? Either way we would be interested in your story.

Ken
Hey Ken, some of my story is below your Comment, but did leave out that until we moved to Bama-Lama, I spent every Summer Vacation on Moms, Aunts Farm. Moms family owned a LOT of Acreage in extreme North Kentucky & is still owned by my "Crazy-Ass, Thinks he's an Indian Cousin (who isn't)". Dude is a Trip...showed for Grandma's Funeral in Full Cherokee Chief Costume, complete with Head Dress & of course, I bust out laughing! That leads to the entire Room loosing it...my Grandma would have Loved it...you cannot make this stuff up!

Hello All...Newbie here to this Site, but anything but a Newbie to livestock & farming. I come from very Rural Cinci, Ohio...my dads family owned the largest Meat Packing Plant in the State, at the turn of the 19th Century & my moms Dad owned a Dairy Farm in Carrolton, Kentucky. Yes...at one time (had circumstances gone right) I would now be a very rich man...but seeing that both families were Greedy-Egocentric-Money Grubbing SOB's...all that money was Spent and/or Lost before Elvis popped out of his momma's Boo-Boo!

Okay...enough of that crap!

I fully agree with the Brahman analogy, even as a child I had a fascination with them & it was a Brahman that taught me how fast I could REALLY RUN! <snicker> I started cooking for my Family at age 8 and the only thing that had eluded me, was the Tastes/Flavors of Fresh Meats, Eggs, Cheeses and even Deli Foods! Have felt like I've been eating Paste & thought it was something wrong with me...then one day my dad split a whole Brahman - Processed, with a buddy from work. I could smell what I'd been looking for, actually stole a package of Cube Steak that night, and felt I was eating Steak Tar-Tar made with a Kobe Fillet Mignon...I ate it RAW! Since then I've sought the morsels of true greatness...it was as easy as returning to the Farm! Food today is disgraceful...that's a big reason I am moving back to to Mobile, Alabama...at least I can catch or buy from the Boats, the consistently fantastic Seafood the Gulf of Mexico provides! I'll Shut-Up Now!

Fungus Out-
🤣😅🤣^^^ this from a guy on a cattle board. 😅🤣😂

Welcome!! I am sure you have good stories to tell.

We need a Mod. I don't want our secret to get out. If people ever find out how good Brahman hump is I will have to put a full time guard out in the pasture. Probably have to put a bunch of Angus people on suicide watch, too.
Hey watch it there buddy them's fighting words! I'll meet you on the play ground at recess and we'll settle this.

Not really, but I miss some of the old rambling breed wars on here. Funny, I used to get tired of them, but those were the good old days now.

We need a Mod. I don't want our secret to get out. If people ever find out how good Brahman hump is I will have to put a full time guard out in the pasture. Probably have to put a bunch of Angus people on suicide watch, too.
Like shark fins and elephant tusks!

Artificial flavoring agents like fire (and smoke) should be banned in flavor tests.
Steak Tartar with a little salt and pepper should be the gold standard in determining flavor. :)
I have to have ketchup. Lol.
On just about everything especially steak, I can't eat it without it.

Latest posts