Best Skid Steer for Farm Use

Help Support CattleToday:

JHALL

Reaction score
Alright, we currently have a New Holland L785, can't remember year, but I want to say late 80's. It has a Perkins diesel (I believe).

We operate my wife's grandparents farm, and either need to fix this machine, or purchase another used machine that runs/operates 100%. The L785 we have now currently does not run. It did run, but had sat for a few months, and now even after charging the battery, will not crank. It's kept under shelter, but outside. Last it was running, it was smoking pretty bad. All of the axle seals leak and it's in pretty rough shape overall. The front loader/attachment is also tweaked or something too. When you go to lock in a bucket or bale spear, you can latch one side, but not the other. It's never been well maintained, atleast as long as her grandpa has had it.

I'm at a crossroads of either having this one fixed/maintained/etc up to good running condition, which I would expect to be atleast $2000+, probably more and still have an old machine, or, find another used, well running machine. I realize some of the above mentioned issues *may not* be a big deal, but it all adds up.

It is primarily used for transporting big bales, cleaning out small feedlots, moving equipment around, burying dead animals, general use, etc. What do you guys have that has been reliable, fairly simple to maintain, etc. or what should I stay away from? Guy across the road has a Bobcat T300 or something and has had quite a few issues with it. I'd be looking for something used.

We traded our 2012 JD333D track loader for a 2018 Kubota SVL75. The Deere had all the bells & whistles but wouldn't start a LOT of the time - batteries never lasted and too many problems with the electrical system, over heated if it was too hot or humid, spent a ridiculous amount of money on maintenance & service calls.

Side note: our tractors are also Kubota and we've had nothing but superior customer service over the past 10 years.

I would highly recommend fixing up your 785. It is an excellent machine, the Perkins motor is not as good as the Ford 3 Cylinder which is the other motor option, but the Perkins is not a bad motor. Being in the dairy business and construction/excavating the last 25 years I've run a lot of skid steers, a lot. The 785 is one of, if not the smoothest skidders to run, it's a large frame with great stability and lift capacity is right up there, also quite simple to work on, no complicated electronics. Someone will probably tell you to get full time rubber tracks which I feel is a waste of money for an all around machine, they do have their place if all your doing is moving dirt and using it as a mini dozer, but the rubber tracks suck on the road and around the barnyard, plus they are expensive and Rob a lot of power from the motor. I much prefer tires with removable steel tracks for when you need to be in the mud.
Good luck with whatever you decide but don't rule out the 785, it's a great old machine.

I had a Case 450 tire machine that was a beast and never gave any trouble but traded it for an Kubota SVL75 track machine. Both great skidsteers. I would get a cab if you can, it makes all the difference in the world. It seems like the best deals lately are on the Kubota tire machines. I've seen demos sell really cheap with around 50 hrs on them. I'd say I use the skidsteer 10-1 over the tractor now.

ohiosteve":3k8p35b9 said:
I would highly recommend fixing up your 785. It is an excellent machine, the Perkins motor is not as good as the Ford 3 Cylinder which is the other motor option, but the Perkins is not a bad motor. Being in the dairy business and construction/excavating the last 25 years I've run a lot of skid steers, a lot. The 785 is one of, if not the smoothest skidders to run, it's a large frame with great stability and lift capacity is right up there, also quite simple to work on, no complicated electronics. Someone will probably tell you to get full time rubber tracks which I feel is a waste of money for an all around machine, they do have their place if all your doing is moving dirt and using it as a mini dozer, but the rubber tracks suck on the road and around the barnyard, plus they are expensive and Rob a lot of power from the motor. I much prefer tires with removable steel tracks for when you need to be in the mud.
Good luck with whatever you decide but don't rule out the 785, it's a great old machine.

I want to lean this way, for fear of getting in to an unfamiliar used machine that might present its own issues.

Like I said, it's been poorly maintained (not at all) which is what worries me. I bought air filters for it to replace in case they were clogged (causing the smoking) but haven't gotten them on with it being non-operable. The oil pressure light or temp light have never come on (I think they work), so I hope the smoking isn't a big issue.

If I can put a battery in it and get it started/running and the air filters cure the smoking issue, I'd be 100% set on bringing the maintenance up to speed and rocking this machine indefinitely.

Buy a bobcat t650. 74 hp so you don't have to deal with the tier 4 crap.
We have a s750 and have gotten along pretty well, we use it very very hard. We will trade it for a t650 in a couple years.

JHALL":kla8rmid said:
Alright, we currently have a New Holland L785, can't remember year, but I want to say late 80's. It has a Perkins diesel (I believe).

We operate my wife's grandparents farm, and either need to fix this machine, or purchase another used machine that runs/operates 100%. The L785 we have now currently does not run. It did run, but had sat for a few months, and now even after charging the battery, will not crank. It's kept under shelter, but outside. Last it was running, it was smoking pretty bad. All of the axle seals leak and it's in pretty rough shape overall. The front loader/attachment is also tweaked or something too. When you go to lock in a bucket or bale spear, you can latch one side, but not the other. It's never been well maintained, atleast as long as her grandpa has had it.

I'm at a crossroads of either having this one fixed/maintained/etc up to good running condition, which I would expect to be atleast $2000+, probably more and still have an old machine, or, find another used, well running machine. I realize some of the above mentioned issues *may not* be a big deal, but it all adds up.

It is primarily used for transporting big bales, cleaning out small feedlots, moving equipment around, burying dead animals, general use, etc. What do you guys have that has been reliable, fairly simple to maintain, etc. or what should I stay away from? Guy across the road has a Bobcat T300 or something and has had quite a few issues with it. I'd be looking for something used.

Have you priced a replacement? $2000 is chump change in comparison, unless you get something like you have now.

Skid steers take a lot of abuse, partly because of their rough and bouncy nature, and also from operators that hop in them and think they're Ricky Bobby. They're not easy to service, so a lot of things get overlooked.

As for the smoking, check the oil for fuel dilution, and service the fuel system. How does it start when cold? The more worn the engine is, the crankier they get in the cold.

Quite frankly I don't care much for newer machines, lots of electronic BS that causes nothing but problems.

As for the quick attach, the cross tube on the loader that holds the plates parallel is probably twisted a little, easy fix by a competent welder.

I got a Bobcat 873 that is a work horse., with my tree shear its deadly on cedars.

Atimm693":54shkxsh said:
JHALL":54shkxsh said:

Have you priced a replacement? $2000 is chump change in comparison, unless you get something like you have now.

Skid steers take a lot of abuse, partly because of their rough and bouncy nature, and also from operators that hop in them and think they're Ricky Bobby. They're not easy to service, so a lot of things get overlooked.

As for the smoking, check the oil for fuel dilution, and service the fuel system. How does it start when cold? The more worn the engine is, the crankier they get in the cold.

Quite frankly I don't care much for newer machines, lots of electronic BS that causes nothing but problems.

As for the quick attach, the cross tube on the loader that holds the plates parallel is probably twisted a little, easy fix by a competent welder.
I agree on pricing a replacement. 10k won't buy you much of a skid loader these days. I would recommend buying a new battery and starting there. The wheel seals on a 785 aren't terribly expensive but are a pretty big project to replace. I am glad to give you any advice or help you need if you decide to rebuild your 785. I've had one for almost 20 years and have gotten to know it pretty well.

The best one?

The one you can afford.

Be religious about servicing it and they last for years.

I've got a NH LX885 and no real complaints about it.

You're not going to get squat for the 785 as a non-runner, so spend what you need to in order to get it running and re-evaluate at that point.

T & B farms":3o3pel4l said:
We have a s750 and have gotten along pretty well, we use it very very hard. We will trade it for a t650 in a couple years.

Both are tier 4 emissions systems . Under 75 HP just doesnt require def . Its a REGEN , like the 2008-2010 diesel trucks used to be . I prefer DEF over the REGEN process anyday

BobbyLummus1":264fo64v said:
T & B farms":264fo64v said:

Both are tier 4 emissions systems . Under 75 HP just doesnt require def . Its a REGEN , like the 2008-2010 diesel trucks used to be . I prefer DEF over the REGEN process anyday

Not me. Go talk to the mechanics and ask which has more trouble.

BobbyLummus1":3kewaz6m said:
Do you understand the regen process ?

Yes I do. We have over 10 machines that run on it. 2 combines, 7 tractors, sprayer,and skid loader. Last year we burned 28,000$ in def. Almost every problem we have is either electrical, or def related. You can't afford to keep these new ones out of warranty, regardless of brand. I was told by a equipment dealer friend that the tier 4 alone added 60,000$ to the last tractor be bought. True or not I have no idea.

T & B farms":ncm07rib said:
BobbyLummus1":ncm07rib said:
Do you understand the regen process ?

Yes I do. We have over 10 machines that run on it. 2 combines, 7 tractors, sprayer,and skid loader. Last year we burned 28,000$ in def. Almost every problem we have is either electrical, or def related. You can't afford to keep these new ones out of warranty, regardless of brand. I was told by a equipment dealer friend that the tier 4 alone added 60,000$ to the last tractor be bought. True or not I have no idea.
Someone needs to get the vehicle emissions law all the way to the SCOTUS. Maybe we could get the decision reverse and do away all vehicle emissions. That's a lot more important than gay marriage, smoking dope and abortion.

5S Cattle":1bkbwfqj said:
I'd see what kind of shape that smoking engine is in. Before sticking money into an old machine

That's my main concern. If the motor is toast, I'm not willing to pay for a replacement unless a good deal could be had on a used motor, but I don't know how available that would be, plus the labor of replacement. If the engine stops smoking with air filter replacements, I'll fix the rest of it.

I couldn't afford these newer machines anyway and our little operation isn't big enough to be taking out loans against a skid steer.

JHALL":2kkwqg19 said:
5S Cattle":2kkwqg19 said:
I'd see what kind of shape that smoking engine is in. Before sticking money into an old machine

That's my main concern. If the motor is toast, I'm not willing to pay for a replacement unless a good deal could be had on a used motor, but I don't know how available that would be, plus the labor of replacement. If the engine stops smoking with air filter replacements, I'll fix the rest of it.
What color smoke?
I couldn't afford these newer machines anyway and our little operation isn't big enough to be taking out loans against a skid steer.

Latest posts