Best farm animal pet you ever bought

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
We are finishing up our forever home and I have built a space to add a pet for my son.

He is just about 3. Right now he talks a lot about wanting a pig. But I wanted to get some stories on what the best pet you ever gave your kids on the farm was?

A pony? Mini Donkey? Pig? Sheep?

We have plenty of pet cows. He has a dog. Cats are out of the question :lol: . But what would your pick be?

I had a pet pig when I was about 10-12 years old. An old sow had a litter and there was one tiny runt. The thing just would not grow and stayed at about 8-10 lbs. for at least a year. It followed me everywhere I went but slept up against the back of the house in a small hole it had rooted out. His name was "Rat". Eventually though for some unexpected reason he begin to grow and of course when he reached slaughter age my dad killed and processed him.

I've had a lot of different animals. Since you already have cattle and dogs, I would vote miniature donkey. I actually like standard and mammoth donkeys better myself but for a child I think a miniature would be ok. They can be a feisty though too so supervision would be needed until the child was a little older.

I would say at that age a bottle lamb would be about perfect. They are small, not going to hurt anyone and will fallow you anywhere. My daughter started with bottle lambs around 3. By 5 the sheep were gone and she had moved on to bottle calves.

TexasBred said:
I had a pet pig when I was about 10-12 years old. An old sow had a litter and there was one tiny runt. The thing just would not grow and stayed at about 8-10 lbs. for at least a year. It followed me everywhere I went but slept up against the back of the house in a small hole it had rooted out. His name was "Rat". Eventually though for some unexpected reason he begin to grow and of course when he reached slaughter age my dad killed and processed him.

ALACOWMAN said:
I had a pet chicken, named Charlie as a kid..but the neighbors killed it and ate it..

I just love happy endings. :lol: :lol:

Other than the dogs, I'd say a couple of pet Pygmy/Nigerian wethers that I got for my 4 year old. He enjoys taking care of them and practicing his herdsman skills with them since they are his size. I got ones that were dehorned so I didn't have to worry about him getting hurt with those.

I never had a "farm animal" as a pet. Dogs or cats were pets. Farm animals were livestock. Started raising bottle calves when I was 7 or 8. But I knew where they were headed from day one. Didn't mean that you didn't care for them. Just that reality was always there.

A bottle goat makes a nice farm animal for a kid to raise. I hate goats, but my kids had a few. They also seem to like to be led around on a halter.
Pic is pretty old, but it brings back good memories. They were inseparable.

She's spread the hill since then. Taken today.

Bigfoot said:
A bottle goat makes a nice farm animal for a kid to raise. I hate goats, but my kids had a few. They also seem to like to be led around on a halter.

Why do you hate goats? I have never owned one. They seem cute but they do seem fairly loud.

Ky hills said:
I've had a lot of different animals. Since you already have cattle and dogs, I would vote miniature donkey. I actually like standard and mammoth donkeys better myself but for a child I think a miniature would be ok. They can be a feisty though too so supervision would be needed until the child was a little older.

We had a standard donkey for years. He was great! Died at 40 years old just 3 summers ago.

Dave said:
I never had a "farm animal" as a pet. Dogs or cats were pets. Farm animals were livestock. Started raising bottle calves when I was 7 or 8. But I knew where they were headed from day one. Didn't mean that you didn't care for them. Just that reality was always there.

My son will be 3 at the end of May. This Easter a few weeks ago we put some turkey on his plate. His response "EW NO THATS A CAW CAW" (caw caw like a bird sound). So now we know he's already related the carcass to the birds we have on the farm haha. Now if I ate his pet I may end up with a full blown vegan.

cowgal604 said:
Bigfoot said:

Why do you hate goats? I have never owned one. They seem cute but they do seem fairly loud.

Won't stay in. Gets stuck in things. In my experience a picky eater (I know you hear they eat anything).

ALACOWMAN said:
I had a pet chicken, named Charlie as a kid..but the neighbors killed it and ate it..

😱😲😢 what the heck!! What kind of neighbors did you have. I'd made them a 💩 pie to go with it. 🤡😅

https://youtu.be/8fgub5zkBVk

Latest posts