Best Beef Breeds for Adding a Second Calf Per Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

I see many Jersey X Angus calves being sold cheaply. And there are many dairies in the area where I live. If these calves can be purchased for $50 each, that would be $1,500 for 30 calves

Wow that's a great price! I would take a pot of them for that price. I would just keep them on the bottle but that's a fantastic cross. I've always loved jersey beef but you just can't get the size out of them to make it worth it. Plus keeping them alive was another major problem. Angus cross will make them hardy enough to survive.

Bullitt":269um2m5 said:
I was wondering which beef breeds produce enough milk to graft a second calf onto each cow.

Are there any beef breeds that can easily raise two calves at the same time?
Brahman/holstein or jersey cross.

Listen to Farmerjan. Don't try it.
what no one has discussed is the disease factor. If you purchase even just 1 calf while you have newborns, you are risking the health of all your newborns. The purchased calf can be perfectly healthy, so are yours, but they have different bugs in their system & they make each other sick.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2mhx1td8 said:
what no one has discussed is the disease factor. If you purchase even just 1 calf while you have newborns, you are risking the health of all your newborns. The purchased calf can be perfectly healthy, so are yours, but they have different bugs in their system & they make each other sick.

I realized it would be a lot of work to get cows to accept bottle calves. I had not thought about the health risk. That makes it a very risky proposition.

Maybe it was just a crazy idea.

Bullitt":2jqq79wv said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jqq79wv said:

I realized it would be a lot of work to get cows to accept bottle calves. I had not thought about the health risk. That makes it a very risky proposition.

Maybe it was just a crazy idea.
You can always go the bottle baby route. Seldom a problem getting a calf to suck a bottle. Then it's just a matter of cleanliness and nutrition. When we dairied we use to raise about 400 a year. One year lost only 6 bottle calves.

And your going to have less of your original calves to sell in pounds. I would put all my effort into weaning 30 calves from the 30 cows. I feel you would come out well ahead.

Jeanne is right. The health risk would be staggering with that many calves. I get 10 to 30 a year to raise on nurse cows. There are dairies that I would not take a calf from if they gave it to me because their "bugs" and mine don't work. I have 3 or 4 dairies that are my go to ones, because I know their calves have had colostrum, and are not scouring when I get them, and the bugs are compatible with what is on my farm. Right now I am getting some jersey x holstein heifer calves off a dairy. He is changing his direction a bit. Due to space limitations, he has decided to only raise up the heifers from his better cows and try to do a better job with them than to try to raise all the heifers. Plus, replacements are at give away prices so it doesn't pay to raise them up then sell a few as springers like it used to do. He is now breeding beef to the lower 1/2 of his herd. The calves that he has had that are beef crossed have been bringing $150 - $200 and more at the stockyard lately. Mostly they are angus or simmental crosses. I prefer the simi crosses. The angus x will show too much dairy and their calves also have a finer bone and build. The resulting calves do not do as well as feeders. The simi cross ones tend to have more bone and beefier build.

I want the dairy cross heifers so that I will have more nurse cows for when I retire. I don't like paying $200 for a baby calf, but if that is what they are bringing in the future then I will. I am paying $60 to $100 for the heifer calves now and they are just as healthy as they can be. But I will definitely be getting as many from this particular farm as I can handle. Have 14 in the barn right now; 2 on bottles, but the rest are on cows. Poor Mara has to deal with the 2 shifts with the littler calves then her older bigger ones. The good thing is they are liking the grain real well so I will be able to wean them in another month or so. 2 are holstein bulls that I got off another dairy that I like but they just sold out in Dec. so that option is now gone. I am not the biggest fan of the holsteins but when you need a calf, a healthy one is the number one requirement. And that was before I started getting calves from this other dairy.

It's alot of work until you get them situated and they learn the routine. Add to that dealing with all this cold, then the recent rain and muddy slick conditions because the water isn't soaking in due to frozen ground, it makes it hard to keep them clean and healthy. I have more than I usually do but don't want to turn down these heifer calves because when he gets to the end of this run, then there will be very few because they will be beef crosses and the dairy ones he will be keeping.

Bullitt":1xwsldbt said:
WalnutCrest":1xwsldbt said:
We are trying something ... we have a small group of Aubrac x Jersey calves conning now. The first two hit the ground yesterday.

Can you post pictures of the calves?

Why did you decide to cross with Jersey?

As said above ... Aubrac sired out of Jersey cows.

Here are the first three at 1-3 days old.

ALACOWMAN":2vz8j4tj said:
Hard to beat a good crossbred,, if you venture outside of one breed. The Brahman F1 would e the ticket.. A good Tiger could have one tugging on each quarter.. If she can stay together...

Any thing with a strong Brahman influence tends to milk what ever.

I lost a cow at one place in December. She had a stout Braford bull calf on her. I went back to get the calf and he was hanging off a Brangus cow. Went back a couple days later and he was hanging off a tiger. The herd has been raising him since.

When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. :)

"When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. "
That is NOT a good thing. If she was "heavy bred" she could have started to make colostrum, so letting a calf suck her, could put her own calf at risk of lacking the colostrum needed at birth.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1sw8n1i4 said:
WC - your 3 calves look real beefy. Good bone on them.

Thank you.

Two of them were twins (a bit of a surprise) at 40lbs each ... unfortunately, one bull and one heifer. We may DNA test for freemartin ... I'll need to double check the cost for that test to make sure.

Two days later, the other heifer was born ... she's approximately 70lbs.

They look just like I'd expect them to look -- it'll be fun to watch the rumps develop on those calves. Heck, I may start another thread to track their development... We're expecting a dozen (+/-) calves of this cross over the next few weeks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":cfkh3ssz said:
"When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. "
That is NOT a good thing. If she was "heavy bred" she could have started to make colostrum, so letting a calf suck her, could put her own calf at risk of lacking the colostrum needed at birth.

Naaaasa.... The great thing about Brahman cattle is they take care of themselves. Just stay out of their way so you don't screw it up.

WalnutCrest":1vxo562n said:
Two of them were twins (a bit of a surprise) at 40lbs each ... unfortunately, one bull and one heifer. We may DNA test for freemartin ... I'll need to double check the cost for that test to make sure.

If the twins are infertile, you can still raise them for slaughter. Did you plan to breed them?

Brute 23":1i1fm6bd said:

I lost a cow at one place in December. She had a stout Braford bull calf on her. I went back to get the calf and he was hanging off a Brangus cow. Went back a couple days later and he was hanging off a tiger. The herd has been raising him since.

The herd will raise one orphan. I wonder if a herd of Brahman cross cows would raise a bunch of orphans.

Bullitt":3jul6zz0 said:
WalnutCrest":3jul6zz0 said:

If the twins are infertile, you can still raise them for slaughter. Did you plan to breed them?

Bull calves to slaughter --- some as veal, some a year later --- we're planning on running some 'tests' on consumer preferences.

Heifers to be developed to be recips for ET work.

Bullitt":1hvvtisl said:
Brute 23":1hvvtisl said:

The herd will raise one orphan. I wonder if a herd of Brahman cross cows would raise a bunch of orphans.

Idk. Hope I never have to find out. :)

It's a hard work and only can work on a certain cows. We rarely needed to try add a second calf for the cow, just at those times when calf has lost their mom, which was twice. One cow has lost her calf last year, due to hard calving. Tried to graft one a couple weeks old calf to her, but she wasn't happy. Five days later a newborn calf has lost his mom and the cow took that orphan calf easily.
One my friend every year buys a number of beefx calves (usually Herefordx) and rear them on a couple his Simmentalx cow. Usually he manages to rear around four calves on one cow per year. He has been doing that for years. He has those few cows only for that job. He does have his suckler herd, but those calves make some extra income. Bulls later are sold or fattened and sold. Heifers mostly sold, sometimes he maybe keeps a couple as ET recipients.
In this part of the world Charolais cow wouldn't be a very good choice for a second calf, most of the time. Beefxdairy, Simmentalx, BBx, or Limousinex would be the ones to choose.

Latest posts