Baldies from a Simmental Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score
Will a Simmental bull with two black genes produce good baldy calves?

Will the Simmental bull X Hereford produce good black baldies?

Will the Simmental bull X Charolais produce good yellow baldies?

Also, what would be produced from the Simmental bull crossed with a Brahman cow?

ALACOWMAN":7chm098h said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=simbrah+cattle&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDm9Kl2qPZAhVS2lMKHTjEBjwQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=960&dpr=2#imgrc=2vlMifHD6RePpM: Simbrah F1 is a good cow, but can be flighty... And hard to keep...really need to do some home work on the parent stock...as for as homozygous black you can get a few baldies In the mix.. But most will be solid..

Maybe the Simmental bull is good for a terminal cross.

From what I have read, here in Texas, the tiger striped cows (Hereford X Brahman) crossed with a black Simmental is about the best three-way cross. Would the homozygous black Simmental bull produce black calves?

I think a Hereford bull would be good on many breeds of cattle. I could use a Hereford bull on Hereford, of course, Angus, Brangus, red Angus, Charolais, Brahman, and probably others. Then use a Simmental bull on those tiger striped cows or baldy cows that are produced.

With a homozygous black bull the calves will be black....and is a great 3 way cross...won't be long now,and I'll be shopping for a Hereford bull myself...

ALACOWMAN":1zsj30n4 said:
With a homozygous black bull the calves will be black....and is a great 3 way cross...won't be long now,and I'll be shopping for a Hereford bull myself...

Do you plan to put a Hereford bull on Brahman cows or some other breed?

Bullitt":1uyp55x9 said:
ALACOWMAN":1uyp55x9 said:

Do you plan to put a Hereford bull on Brahman cows or some other breed?
Going on black high percentage Angus that are Brahman influenced ... From about every Brahman derivative there is... :cboy:

Homo black bull of any breed will produce a black calf. The white face or blaze face is a different gene. Solid homo black bull bred to Hereford will be BWF. I don't believe any would be solid black, but the face gene screws me up. Hereford white face is a different gene than the blaze face type gene.
I totally understand the body spots - they are recessive, so you can have two solid colored parents and end up with a spotted calf if both parents are carrying the spotting gene and BOTH pass it on to the calf. But, face, feet, tail, bellie - all different genes. And I don't think they are the "common recessive or dominant" gene.
Any one have a better handle on the genetics of the white "chrome" markings??

Bullitt - when are you going to just commit and buy something? You keep trying to pick our brains, but until you get cattle & try the different crosses to SEE what YOU like, it doesn't make any difference what we think.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3me4copc said:
Bullitt - when are you going to just commit and buy something? You keep trying to pick our brains, but until you get cattle & try the different crosses to SEE what YOU like, it doesn't make any difference what we think.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

It is important to be informed before buying.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3kcjd2md said:
Homo black bull of any breed will produce a black calf. The white face or blaze face is a different gene. Solid homo black bull bred to Hereford will be BWF. I don't believe any would be solid black, but the face gene screws me up. Hereford white face is a different gene than the blaze face type gene.
I totally understand the body spots - they are recessive, so you can have two solid colored parents and end up with a spotted calf if both parents are carrying the spotting gene and BOTH pass it on to the calf. But, face, feet, tail, bellie - all different genes. And I don't think they are the "common recessive or dominant" gene.
Any one have a better handle on the genetics of the white "chrome" markings??

Jeanne. Genetics is not as neat and clean as many of the posts on this forum seems to indicate. Genes are located at sites called loci. Just because an animal is homozygous meaning both alleles are homologs does not mean that those genes cannot be influenced by genes at other loci. Which is why it is difficult to make definitive statements about the "chrome markings". To my knowledge what you said is basically the way I understand it.

Latest posts