Balancer or SimAngus

Help Support CattleToday:

actually i have been talking to a few people with limflex. they said if they were commercial that all they would run. so i have been pondering that as well. i know one person that runs balancers and another that has some sim angus both say no difference than thier angus cows. hard for me to see that though.

i would say that here in indiana the simm-angus are really big there are starting to be a few balancers and i really like the limflex i have seen but for some reason i will stick with english based cattle almost bought a gelbveih bull this spring but ended up with a red poll i am gonna breed him to angus and a couple charolais cows this summer cant wait to see how they turn out jmo David

What is the general makeup of your cowherd? Are they predominately Angus, Herf, something else?

3waycross":2jll7gf6 said:
What is the general makeup of your cowherd? Are they predominately Angus, Herf, something else?

im looking at 2 different sets of cows right now. one set is angus cows the other set is an angus saler cross.

i guess i am pondering a few different ways to go right now have talked to some very knowledgeable people about them so was looking for someone that could give me some good info about either a balancer or simangus crossed with saler to make cows. then breed back to lim or char for terminal.
the balancers i have seen raise a good calf off of just grass and hay and the simangus i have seen raise a whopper of a calf but they take some feed. but i only know of one set of both i have seen so didnt want to base it off of just what one person does.

Lon":2sue284e said:
3waycross":2sue284e said:

im looking at 2 different sets of cows right now. one set is angus cows the other set is an angus saler cross.

i guess i am pondering a few different ways to go right now have talked to some very knowledgeable people about them so was looking for someone that could give me some good info about either a balancer or simangus crossed with saler to make cows. then breed back to lim or char for terminal.
the balancers i have seen raise a good calf off of just grass and hay and the simangus i have seen raise a whopper of a calf but they take some feed. but i only know of one set of both i have seen so didnt want to base it off of just what one person does.

I'd go straight Gelbvieh on the Angus cows and a balancer on the Angus/Saler crosses to keep th Angus level at 50%. The GV Angus cross heifers would make great replacements and you could run a balancer bull on them all the time.

3waycross":2a5jr7xv said:
I'd go straight Gelbvieh on the Angus cows and a balancer on the Angus/Saler crosses to keep th Angus level at 50%. The GV Angus cross heifers would make great replacements and you could run a balancer bull on them all the time
Perfect!!! The only saler cattle we've had were high headed, snorty, nasty things that I wouldn't wish on anybody. So I'd opt with the angus cows and a purebred GV bull then retain replacements.

I never placed much stock in either as in my books they are crossbred bulls. Kinda always looked at it like bass lures made to catch fisherman not fish. Just me I always wanted a straight bred bull to put on my cows, always figured I have enough to go wrong around here, without wondering what is going to pop out of the woodpile with these type bulls.

Boss Cowman":3t9w30ry said:
3waycross":3t9w30ry said:
I'd go straight Gelbvieh on the Angus cows and a balancer on the Angus/Saler crosses to keep th Angus level at 50%. The GV Angus cross heifers would make great replacements and you could run a balancer bull on them all the time
Perfect!!! The only saler cattle we've had were high headed, snorty, nasty things that I wouldn't wish on anybody. So I'd opt with the angus cows and a purebred GV bull then retain replacements.

yeah the salers i was always around would take ya if given the chance. the ones i have are out of that same stock and they are alot calmer though. they seem to remember everything that happens better than most other so if something gets them riled up u can bet they will never forget. talked to a guy though crossin them on red poll and he said he gets his bulls from a guy up here is SD from over buy vermillion and have never had a disposition problem with them. said angus were way worse and even had a few red poll that would take ya but the cows they got out of that guys breeding were calm as could get as long as stayed calm with them.

Caustic Burno":1tu1yqiy said:
I never placed much stock in either as in my books they are crossbred bulls. Kinda always looked at it like bass lures made to catch fisherman not fish. Just me I always wanted a straight bred bull to put on my cows, always figured I have enough to go wrong around here, without wondering what is going to pop out of the woodpile with these type bulls.

do you mean you can get to many traits resembling just one breed or the other or what kind of problems are you getting at? if ya dont mind tellin as i will be new to the whole pickin out my own bulls part of the business.

Lon":3o8g0lr9 said:
Caustic Burno":3o8g0lr9 said:

do you mean you can get to many traits resembling just one breed or the other or what kind of problems are you getting at? if ya dont mind tellin as i will be new to the whole pickin out my own bulls part of the business.

As much as I like Brangus it is still a composite breed you can look at a herd of Brangus cows and some show more Brimmer traits some more Angus. Putting Brangus on Herefords is increased BW and WW putting Hereford on Brangus is decreased BW increased WW. The latter is my preference I can't sell a dead calf. Even through composites are supposed to be standarized you still have Brimmer DNA and Angus DNA and I don't get to pick which one is used.
My :2cents:

Caustic Burno":2ug7i896 said:

Caustic,

It has been proven in research at MARC that Composit/Hybrid/Crossbred bull just as crossbred cows are better at producing consistent calves with the right amount of British and Continental influence.

Usining these type of bulls keeps a consistent amount of hybrid vigor in a herd as well.

cbcr":38hacsa8 said:
Caustic Burno":38hacsa8 said:

Caustic,

It has been proven in research at MARC that Composit/Hybrid/Crossbred bull just as crossbred cows are better at producing consistent calves with the right amount of British and Continental influence.

Usining these type of bulls keeps a consistent amount of hybrid vigor in a herd as well.

I will never believe it on crossbred cows to many crayons in the box. .
I have a set of chains here almost wore out from being young and dumb.
Fact a two way cross yeilds 10% in hybred vigor 3 way up to 20% 4 way all bets are off.

Caustic Burno":icilnvz4 said:
cbcr":icilnvz4 said:
Caustic Burno":icilnvz4 said:

Caustic,

I will never believe it on crossbred cows to many crayons in the box. .
I have a set of chains here almost wore out from being young and dumb.
Fact a two way cross yeilds 10% in hybred vigor 3 way up to 20% 4 way all bets are off.

Caustic-

This flys in the face of proven and legitimate deep investigative breeding protocols by a very respected group of beef breeding professionals using concentrated investigative technics!

In spite of all of the proven results over time, it is your option to think and feel any way that you wish. It is a shame, though, to be so determined and reluctant to accept facts that you cut off your nose to spite your face. One does not have to remain young and dumb - forever! I would suggest that you investigate the results from MARC, and then criticize any details that you feel are erroneous and deceptive. You might quote the source(s) of your "hybrid vigor" percentages - and the date(s) acquired! That way, we have a basis for discussion rather than just "long-held opinions", which may be out of date and proven to be so by more exacting information, evidence and data.

DOC HARRIS

Ok lets make this easy. Here is why we cross Gelbvieh's on Angus. Meet my pick for heifer of the year. 5 weeks old and gettin prettier every day. She is a 3/4 sister to the 4H heifer I posted on another thread and maybe a better heifer. :cowboy:

IMG00046-20110407-1539_2_.jpg

3waycross":319i978f said:
Ok lets make this easy. Here is why we cross Gelbvieh's on Angus. Meet my pick for heifer of the year. 5 weeks old and gettin prettier every day. She is a 3/4 sister to the 4H heifer I posted on another thread and maybe a better heifer. :cowboy:

IMG00046-20110407-1539_2_.jpg

between your pictures of calves and your pic of that red bull your making a retty strong argument. :tiphat:

I'd be lyin if I said I had reached a point where they are all that good. But I am sure trying to get there. :cboy: